[comp.unix.xenix] Drivers for COM3/COM4?

tyager@mkunix.UUCP (Tom Yager ULTRIX SS) (01/05/88)

(Sorry if you got stuck reading this twice--first attempt was
erroneously posted to the "comp.unix" moderator)

I'm looking for someone who has a working tty device driver for SCO
Xenix '386. I've got a modem that is configurable as COM3 or COM4, but
(of course) SCO doesn't know anything about this. I am aware of the
>$500 multi-port boards, but that would be overkill for me: I just want
to add one device. COM1 and COM2 are already occupied.

I've called SCO, but they offered me nothing but sympathy. If you can
help, I'd appreciate it, and thanks in advance to all who try.
(TY)
---
Tom Yager, Digital Equipment Corporation
U.S. Mail: 14 YWO/C9, 14 Walkup Drive, Westborough, MA 01581
uucp:      {decvax,decwrl,muscat}!mkunix!tyager
My opinions are only my own and are subject to change without notice.

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (01/06/88)

In article <143@mkunix.UUCP>, tyager@mkunix.UUCP (Tom Yager ULTRIX SS) writes:

> I'm looking for someone who has a working tty device driver for SCO
> Xenix '386. I've got a modem that is configurable as COM3 or COM4, but
> (of course) SCO doesn't know anything about this. I am aware of the
> >$500 multi-port boards, but that would be overkill for me: I just want
> to add one device. COM1 and COM2 are already occupied.

COM3: and COM4:, I believe, either don't use interrupt lines or they
share IRQ 4 and IRQ 3 which are ordinarily associated with COM1: and COM2:.
Anyway, on an IBM PC bus, you really can't have more than one device on
an interrupt level.  Your only option is to opt for overkill: if you can
disable either COM1 or COM2, you should be able to get by nicely with
a 4- or 8-port "dumb" serial card.  SCO XENIX has support for all sorts
of dumb serial boards built-in: Digiboard, Hostess, Stargate, AST, just to
name a few.  I use a Digiboard 4 port card very happily.  Or, you can get a
"smart" board, many of which use the additional AT interrupts, so you can
keep both COM1 and COM2, if you desire.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu