[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix or uPort Unix

mhall@pnet02.cts.com (Marc Hall) (01/16/88)

A IBM Model 80 is soon to delivered to my desk and I want to install a version
of Unix on it. I would like to run DOS programs under under Unix.
The machine will largely be used for development so the quality of the
compilers, etc. is important. Should I buy SCO Xenix or uPort Unix ??
Thanks.

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!mhall
INET: mhall@pnet02.cts.com

manes@dasys1.UUCP (Steve Manes) (01/18/88)

In article <2168@gryphon.CTS.COM> mhall@pnet02.cts.com (Marc Hall) writes:
>A IBM Model 80 is soon to delivered to my desk and I want to install a version
>of Unix on it. I would like to run DOS programs under under Unix.
>The machine will largely be used for development so the quality of the
>compilers, etc. is important. Should I buy SCO Xenix or uPort Unix ??

I've seen but not played with Microport/386 but I've got Xenix/386 here.
I also use my system mainly for development and have been thrilled to have
the Microsoft compiler to use.  It makes DOS cross-development much easier.
As a package, Xenix/386 earns very high marks from me.  I ran V/AT for the
last 9 months or so and, truthfully, would not recommend it as a
development base -- too many compiler problems.  On the other hand, I've
been given to understand that Microport/386 is a substantial rewrite so this
should not necessarily prejudice the case for Microport's 386 offering.

I ordered vp/IX for the 386 but have not received it so I can't comment
about it.  I saw DOSMerge for Microport/386 at UNIX EXPO and was impressed
(although the version I saw was a beta and crashed during the
demonstration).

+ Steve Manes         Roxy Recorders, Inc.                 NYC
+ decvax!philabs!cmcl2!hombre!magpie!manes       Magpie BBS: 212-420-0527
+ SmartMail:  manes@magpie.MASA.COM