[comp.unix.xenix] SCO netnews problems

tyager@maxx.UUCP (01/16/88)

Hey, all:
I've just gotten my '386 system running with SCO Xenix and netnews, most of
which (as you can see) works fine, with a couple of exceptions:
  1. The dates and times in the "history" file are not correct. My system
     date, and the dates stamped on directory entries, are.
  2. 'expire' specified with -e 5 is failing to remove articles dating
     back 3-4 weeks ago! I'm using the -i switch as well to ignore
     expiration dates, but it's still not working. My filesystem is filling
     up fast, so I really need some help here. How does expire determine the
     creation date of an article??
  3. The "more (nn%)" prompt in 'vnews' displays incorrect percentages when
     reading long files; it wraps around into negative numbers.
I'm asking all this becuase SCO doesn't send sources with their netnews
distribution, and I'm sure there are many out there more familiar with this
code than I. I bow to your collective greater talent. So there.

Thanks in advance to all who offer to help. (TY)
-----
Tom Yager
E-Mail:  ... decvax!mkunix!maxx!root or ... maxx!tyager
"Eat a live toad in the morning; nothing worse will happen to you that day."

rem@remsit.UUCP (Roger Murray) (01/20/88)

In article <7@maxx.UUCP> tyager@maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) writes:
>Hey, all:
>I've just gotten my '386 system running with SCO Xenix and netnews, most of
>which (as you can see) works fine, with a couple of exceptions:
>  1. The dates and times in the "history" file are not correct. My system
>     date, and the dates stamped on directory entries, are.

History file dates and times are stored in GMT.

>  2. 'expire' specified with -e 5 is failing to remove articles dating
>     back 3-4 weeks ago! I'm using the -i switch as well to ignore
>     expiration dates, but it's still not working. My filesystem is filling
>     up fast, so I really need some help here. How does expire determine the
>     creation date of an article??

I'm not sure if you mean "There are entries in the history file that it's
not getting rid of" or "When I go poking around /usr/spool/news (or whatever)
I see files with dust on them.  What gives?"  If it's the former, I'm not sure
what to suggest.  If it's the latter, I'd rebuild your history file and try
expire one more time.

>  3. The "more (nn%)" prompt in 'vnews' displays incorrect percentages when
>     reading long files; it wraps around into negative numbers.

That has always been a problem, ever since I can remember.  My solution was
to install rn.  :-)
--
Roger Murray

UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,randvax,sdcrdcf,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!cepu!ucla-an!remsit!rem
ARPA: cepu!ucla-an!remsit!rem@CS.UCLA.EDU [formerly LOCUS.UCLA.EDU]