[comp.unix.xenix] vt102 termcap for SCO Sys V

root@elric.UUCP (root) (02/01/88)

I too would like a vt102 entry for termcap as well as terminfo, if anybody has
such a beast.  Currently, i have my vt102 entry equivalent to the vt100.  I'm
not sure what the (terminfo/termcap reflectable) differences are between the
two terminals...
--
Derek Terveer	root@elric.UUCP		..!clyde!lily!elric!root

arthure@sco.COM (All diagnostics are fatal) (02/02/88)

In article <649@ut-emx.UUCP> chcu275@ut-emx.UUCP (chcu275) writes:
>I use Kermit-MS V2.29, which tries to emulate a vt102
>on an IBM PC-AT running DOS, to connect to an IBM PC-AT running
>SCO XENIX Sys V.  An IBM serial/parallel adapter is used on each
>end.  The environment variable, TERM, is set to "vt100" because
>I do not have a termcap entry for "vt102".
>
>This arrangement is satisfactory except for use with vi.  In vi,
>a deleted line except for the last line in a file is replaced with
>an "@" character until it is scrolled off of the screen.  Additionally,
>in insert mode, freshly inserted text over-writes existing text
>until leaving insert mode at which time the over-written text
>reappears.

This doesn't sound like a termcap problem at all; I believe the problem
is that at low speeds (1200 baud, for example), vi defaults to
"noredraw" mode.  From your posting it isn't clear what speed you're
operating at, but your description sounds like vi with noredraw set.  If
this is the case, adding "set redraw" to your EXINIT environment
variable should fix the problem.

I use mskermit v2.29 with the vt100 entry regularly, without
much difficulty.

-arthur
--
"Sometimes I feel just like a dog ...      | this is not the voice of SCO
 I guess that that goes with my  job ..."  | this is not the voice of SCO

terry@terminus.UUCP (terry) (02/02/88)

> I use Kermit-MS V2.29, which tries to emulate a vt102
> on an IBM PC-AT running DOS, to connect to an IBM PC-AT running
> SCO XENIX Sys V.  An IBM serial/parallel adapter is used on each
> end.  The environment variable, TERM, is set to "vt100" because
> I do not have a termcap entry for "vt102".
>
> This arrangement is satisfactory except for use with vi.  In vi,
> a deleted line except for the last line in a file is replaced with
> an "@" character until it is scrolled off of the screen.  Additionally,
> in insert mode, freshly inserted text over-writes existing text
> until leaving insert mode at which time the over-written text
> reappears.

If you note the disclaimers, you will find that Kermit-MS (VTKermit) does
not claim to FULLY emulate the VT102.  Specifically, it wraps after char.
80 and *NOT* before char. 81.  The soloution is to use the vt100nam termcap
entry, or take out the AM.  The best thing to do would be to get a real
emulator that is supported and already handles things correctly.  Even then,
you may have noticed that the comment in the termcap file on the 'nam'
entry states that
# works better with some curses packages
This means that even if you use the 'nam' fix, some curses packages will
break it anyway.

Lest I get attacked for advertising for my boss, I recommend VTERM or VTERM
220 as good quality, pretty well supported, light duty emulations.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!terminus!terry |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |