[comp.unix.xenix] advice on inexpensive tape hdwr wanted

stu@jpusa1.UUCP (Stu Heiss) (01/29/88)

I want to include an inexpensive tape unit in my 386 system specification
and would like to hear from anyone who has a suggestion.  In particular,
is the Irwin #145 40 meg reliable?  What else is cheap?  I don't care too
much if it's slow but it *has* to be reliable.  Please email replies to
	...{spl1,gargoyle,ihnp4}!jpusa1!stu
Thanks in advance,  Stu
--
Stu Heiss {spl1,gargoyle,ihnp4}!jpusa1!stu

david@infopro.UUCP (David Fiedler) (02/03/88)

In article <702@jpusa1.UUCP>, stu@jpusa1.UUCP (Stu Heiss) writes:
> I want to include an inexpensive tape unit in my 386 system specification
> and would like to hear from anyone who has a suggestion.  In particular,
> is the Irwin #145 40 meg reliable?  What else is cheap?  I don't care too
> much if it's slow but it *has* to be reliable.  Please email replies to

I got an Archive 90 ips streamer for $600 from a company that advertises
in InfoWorld (and shipped within 4 days). It works great, it's fast,
doesn't make you preformat tapes like the Irwin, works with Xenix,
Microport, *and* DOS, and it uses standard DC600A tapes. What else could
you want? Oh yes, they are 60 megs each! If you need an address/phone I
will look it up for you.
--
David Fiedler         {ames,attmail,hplabs,ihnp4,pyramid,ucdavis}!infopro!david
USMail: InfoPro Systems, PO Box 220, Rescue CA 95672      Phone: (916) 677-5870

"Trust me. I know what I'm doing."