[comp.unix.xenix] --- Moderation problems with comp.unix.microport

fortin@zap.UUCP (Denis Fortin) (01/31/88)

Greetings...

	A few weeks ago (maybe 2 months), the `comp.unix.microport' group
was created for users of Microport products (System V/AT, System V/386,
DosMerge, etc).  Since that time, traffic in the group has been abnormally
low (16 messages overall) given the amount of uPort traffic that normally
appeared in comp.unix.xenix.

	I believe that the reason for this dramatic drop in popularity
is the fact that the group is moderated.  Now, I am not raising the issue
of moderated groups vs unmoderated groups again (I actually tend to
prefer reading moderated groups).  Unfortunately, in this case I think
that the problems with that group are caused by issues *relating* to
moderation.

	In the past couple of months, I have posted about 5 messages to
comp.unix.microport.  Only one of these has reached me thus far, and
four others have been returned by uwvax, complaining that it couldn't
talk to uwmacc in 7 days (or was it 10?).

	I checked the path that pathalias recommended to get to uwspan
(where the moderator lives).  It is:

	...!uunet!mimsy!rutgers!uwvax!uwmacc!uwspan!<user>

Unfortunately, this path doesn't seem to work.  Furthermore, uwspan
has marked the uwmacc link as (DEAD) -- it is possible that uwmacc still
talks to uwspan even if uwspan doesn't talk to it anymore, but it seems
a bit doubtful.

I tried re-routing my message through the following path:

	...!uunet!mimsy!rutgers!uwvax!geowhiz!uwspan!<user>

by going through the maps manually, but I haven't heard anything since.

	Now, I understand that every once in a while people stand up
and complain "I haven't been able to reach the moderator", but since the
traffic in comp.unix.microport is so low, I assume that it isn't just
me who is having problems...

	As a quick fix, I suggest un-moderating the group for now
so that uPort users can once again exchange information, and then if
we find that the volume (or S/N ratio) in comp.unix.microport warrants
it, we'll re-arrange for moderation.
--
Denis Fortin                            | fortin@zap.UUCP
CAE Electronics Ltd                     | philabs!micomvax!zap!fortin

myxm@beta.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) (02/01/88)

Another vote for no moderation. I too have had postings bounce back to me.

Mike Mitchell

mike@cimcor.UUCP (Michael Grenier) (02/01/88)

From mike  Mon Feb  1 08:25:01 1988 remote from cimcor
To: rosevax!ems!dayton!rutgers!mit-eddie!necntc!linus!philabs!micomvax!zap!fortin
Subject: Re: --- Moderation problems with comp.unix.microport ---
Date: 1 Feb 88 08:25:01 CST (Mon)
From: mike@cimcor.UUCP (Michael Grenier)

> Greetings...
>
> 	A few weeks ago (maybe 2 months), the `comp.unix.microport' group
> was created for users of Microport products (System V/AT, System V/386,
> DosMerge, etc).  Since that time, traffic in the group has been abnormally
> low (16 messages overall) given the amount of uPort traffic that normally
> appeared in comp.unix.xenix.

I've been trying to get anything from comp.unix.microport for
about a month now. It seems that except for a few sites with
different news routing, none of the Minneapolis/St. Paul area
sites have gotten anything from comp.unix.microport. I haven't
determined yet whether the problem is in one of our main feeds or whether
its near the moderator end. We were getting it for a few weeks initially
so something has changed in the mail paths since then.

> 	As a quick fix, I suggest un-moderating the group for now
> so that uPort users can once again exchange information, and then if
> we find that the volume (or S/N ratio) in comp.unix.microport warrants
> it, we'll re-arrange for moderation.

I completly area with Denis on this one. I'm not sure why this group
is moderated in the first place unless someone was afraid of more
Microport Advertising :-).

---
    Michael Grenier		{rutgers, amdahl, ihnp4}!bungia!cimcor!mike
				612-464-7382

dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) (02/02/88)

In article <15112@beta.UUCP>, myxm@beta.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:
> Another vote for no moderation. I too have had postings bounce back to me.
> Mike Mitchell

Echoing the voices of others:  I have sent two long postings to the 386
Microport address and recieved no acknowledgement and never saw a posting
containing the material (which *had* to have been at least somewhat
interesting--at least enough to acknowledge its existence.)  Thus, either
a mailer spurned me (with no feedback) or the "moderator" is being
immoderate with his editing.  If the moderator(s) cannot keep timely postings
of collected material then they should resign and free-up the discussion.

Another point of note is the fact that ISC (and potentially others) can not
respond in an unmoderated forum for fear of "commercializing" the net.
Thus, moderating this news group may be the only way to get our vendors
involved in this potentially crucial feedback loop.

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
...!{ames|harvard|rutgers|topaz|...}!rochester!ur-valhalla!micropen!dave

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (02/02/88)

In article <409@micropen>, dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) writes:
> In article <15112@beta.UUCP>, myxm@beta.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:
> > Another vote for no moderation. I too have had postings bounce back to me.
> > Mike Mitchell

   There is a posting in comp.unix.questions that states there is a link
down between us and the moderator. So its really not the moderators fault.
I think he's been doing a good job but despite that, I think we
desperately need an un-moderated group. I understand John (the moderator)
has issued a request to the back-bone to make the group un-moderated.
So our wishes are not going un-noticed. Keep your fingers crossed! :-)

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john@uunet.UU.NET

james@bigtex.uu.net (James Van Artsdalen) (02/02/88)

I concur: either the newsgroup should be unmoderated, or the backbones should
update their tables to find a route to the moderator that works.  I think
Plocher has been disconnected somehow from his mail path.  He hasn't responded
to mail in a couple weeks: various MAILER-DAEMONs along the way sure have
though.  I personally understand the desire on the part of the NetGods for
moderation wherever politically acceptable, but this case points up the
weakness in this scheme (or maybe not: it *has* kept the volume down! :-).
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Work: 512-328-0282 Home: 346-2444; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (02/02/88)

In article <389@zap.UUCP> fortin@zap.UUCP (Denis Fortin) writes:

>	Now, I understand that every once in a while people stand up
>and complain "I haven't been able to reach the moderator", but since the
>traffic in comp.unix.microport is so low, I assume that it isn't just
>me who is having problems...
>
>	As a quick fix, I suggest un-moderating the group for now
>so that uPort users can once again exchange information, and then if
>we find that the volume (or S/N ratio) in comp.unix.microport warrants
>it, we'll re-arrange for moderation.

I agree. This type of group seems to work well *without* moderation.

On a second related topic let me reiterate my belief that we would be better
served by having comp.unix.286 and comp.unix.386 groups as opposed to .xenix
and .microport. As a 386 user I have little or *no* interest in reading
anything at all to do with either Microport *or* Xenix on the 286. It has
absolutely nothing to do with me.

On the other hand even though I run microport 386 system v, I would like to
keep abreast of the discussion on Xenix 386. If it works better there I'll
switch.  And in point of fact by the end of the year they should be
basically one and the same.

So might I suggest that a re-thinking of the .microport group might be in
order.  I vote for comp.unix.386 (un-moderated of course).

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

wnp@killer.UUCP (Wolf Paul) (02/03/88)

In article <409@micropen> dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) writes:
>Echoing the voices of others:  I have sent two long postings to the 386
>Microport address and recieved no acknowledgement and never saw a posting
>containing the material (which *had* to have been at least somewhat
>interesting--at least enough to acknowledge its existence.)  Thus, either
>a mailer spurned me (with no feedback) or the "moderator" is being
>immoderate with his editing.  If the moderator(s) cannot keep timely postings
>of collected material then they should resign and free-up the discussion.
>
>Another point of note is the fact that ISC (and potentially others) can not
>respond in an unmoderated forum for fear of "commercializing" the net.
>Thus, moderating this news group may be the only way to get our vendors
>involved in this potentially crucial feedback loop.

I cannot speak for the 386 moderator, but John Plocher, the 286 moderator
and prime mover in the establishment of comp.unix.microport, is working
to get the group unmoderated.

He is also working to get the "black hole" sorted out which has swallowed
up the last month's traffic. To reach him, use either

	uwvax!geowhiz!uwspan!microport

or

	plocher@puff.cs.wisc.edu

As for commercializing the net in an unmoderated group, ISC, SCO,
UPORT, and others can respond to questions regarding their products,
as long as they leave the advertising to satisfied users. There is nothing
in the USENET etiquette that prohibits a vendor from answering "how-to"
questions regarding his product -- and that's really all that is necessary,
isn't it?

Wolf Paul
ihnp4!killer!wnp

woods@hao.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (02/03/88)

In article <475@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>   There is a posting in comp.unix.questions that states there is a link
>down between us and the moderator. So its really not the moderators fault.

   True. It seems that the network configuration at U. Wisconsin, where
the moderator lives, has changed, but their map entries haven't. Thus
mail (moderated group postings) is going down the black hole. This
problem is being worked on.

>I think he's been doing a good job but despite that, I think we
>desperately need an un-moderated group. I understand John (the moderator)
>has issued a request to the back-bone to make the group un-moderated.

   If he has, I haven't heard it, and I'm on the backbone mailing list.
But then, if mail isn't going in to him, it might not be coming out
from him either.

>So our wishes are not going un-noticed. Keep your fingers crossed! :-)

   The problem certainly has been noticed, and it is being worked on.
I'm in contact with the postmaster at uwvax and I'm trying to find a path
to the moderator that will work. When I have one, we'll change the backbone
moderated group aliases appropriately and get comp.unix.microport back
on the air again.

--Greg

paul@vixie.UUCP (Paul Vixie Esq) (02/05/88)

In article <1663@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>On a second related topic let me reiterate my belief that we would be better
>served by having comp.unix.286 and comp.unix.386 groups as opposed to .xenix
>and .microport. As a 386 user I have little or *no* interest in reading
>anything at all to do with either Microport *or* Xenix on the 286. It has
>absolutely nothing to do with me.

I tried to raise that point when comp.unix.microport was being considered.
Their solution was to have three different moderators, each handling a
different segment of the traffic; the subject lines of articles they posted
were all specifically marked as "386" or "286", etc.  The idea was that we
as news readers would put things in our "KILL" files (if we had rn) to make
sure we didn't see things we didn't care about.

In the 286 UNIX community, there are two principle products: Xenix and uPort.
In the 386 UNIX community, there is Sequent/Sun/other-BSD-products and then
there's Xenix/386, and then there's the AT&T-sponsored port, which is being
sold by Interactive, Bell Technologies, and Microport (as their 386 product).

>On the other hand even though I run microport 386 system v, I would like to
>keep abreast of the discussion on Xenix 386. If it works better there I'll
>switch.  And in point of fact by the end of the year they should be
>basically one and the same.

Perhaps.  AT&T has not given a definitive statement of the AT&T/Sun agreement's
impact on the SysV/386 line.  I, for one, would rather use the merged SunOS
product than the merged Xenix product, and the 386 is easily powerful enough
to do this.  I doubt that we'll see a merged Xenix/SunOS/SysV product, though.
So I think there will continue to be two groups -- the Xenix-SysV and the
BSD-SysV mergers.  I expect both to be available on the 386.

>So might I suggest that a re-thinking of the .microport group might be in
>order.  I vote for comp.unix.386 (un-moderated of course).

Well, first: you can't have a group with a digit-string as a component of
the name (it looks too much like an article in the spool directory).  Second,
I don't think that the Sequent/386 or SunOS/386 users are going to have much
in common with the Xenix or Interactive/BellTech/WG6386/Micrport-386 people.

Given those two facts, I proposed comp.unix.sysv.i386 rather than the
comp.unix.386 name you suggest.  SunOS/386 discussions will probably go
on in comp.sys.sun; Sequent/386 discussions will stay in comp.sys.sequent.

I'm for moderation, since it seems to work very well for the info-386ix
mailing list.  I have rejected nothing; however, repetitious questions are
usually posted with answers already appended, which keeps the irritation
level down.  If you have arguments against moderation for comp.unix.sysv.i386
(which, by the way, news.groups is presently voting on - send your vote today!)
please let me know.  (Hint: my mail connectivity is EXCELLENT, always has
been, always will be.  I do e-mail and system support for a living, and I
keep my own system Exactly Up To Snuff.)
--
Paul A Vixie Esq
paul%vixie@uunet.uu.net

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (02/07/88)

I also have had problems posting to comp.unix.microport and so I also
vote for no moderation, at least until the problem is solved.

	David Beckemeyer