[comp.unix.xenix] need fix/workararound for yacc

stu@jpusa1.UUCP (Stu Heiss) (02/04/88)

In trying to put together perl on xenix I've run into a yacc limit.
Xenix yacc (and yaccL) reserve 5000 bytes for state info, etc. and
perl.y needs about 6500 (as discovered by yacc'ing perl.y on a 68k
box with -v and examining y.output).  Does anybody know of a patch
to yacc to reserve more memory for state info?  Is there a pd yacc
that will run under xenix?  All that failing, is it possible to
break up a yacc source and run the pieces separately (this may
sound dumb but I'm no yacc expert), and if so, how?
--
Stu Heiss {spl1,gargoyle,ihnp4}!jpusa1!stu

rupley@arizona.edu (John Rupley) (02/05/88)

In article <722@jpusa1.UUCP>, stu@jpusa1.UUCP (Stu Heiss) writes:
> In trying to put together perl on xenix I've run into a yacc limit.
> Xenix yacc (and yaccL) reserve 5000 bytes for state info, etc. and
> perl.y needs about 6500 (as discovered by yacc'ing perl.y on a 68k
> box with -v and examining y.output).

To get the huge model, which is what you need, the only change to be
made in the yacc source is the addition of "#define HUGE" at the end
of "files".  Assuming you do not have the source, I would hope that
SCO would do this for you, considering, first, how easy it is to make
the change, and second, that they should have compiled with the HUGE
option in the first place.

John Rupley
    internet: rupley@megaron.arizona.edu
    uucp: ..{ihnp4 | hao!noao}!arizona!rupley
    Dept. Biochemistry, Univ. Arizona, Tucson  AZ  85721
    voice: (602)321-3929 (Office)   or   (602)325-4533 (Home)

chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) (02/09/88)

In article <3731@megaron.arizona.edu> rupley@arizona.edu (John Rupley) writes:
>In article <722@jpusa1.UUCP>, stu@jpusa1.UUCP (Stu Heiss) writes:
>> In trying to put together perl on xenix I've run into a yacc limit.
>
>To get the huge model, which is what you need, the only change to be
>made in the yacc source is the addition of "#define HUGE" at the end
>of "files".

Sorry -- I have (proprietary, sorry) source code to yacc, and even HUGE
wasn't enough.  I had to create a HUMONGOUS size, just a little bigger
than huge, to get it to work.

Unfortunatly, perl still has bugs.  :-(

--
Chip Salzenberg                 UUCP: "{codas,uunet}!ateng!chip"
A T Engineering                 My employer's opinions are a trade secret.