[comp.unix.xenix] Get a Wyse 80386 box w/SCO Xenix?

billb@amcad.UUCP (Bill Burton) (01/20/88)

We are considering purchase of the following system:

Hardware:
o   Wyse 3216 with 4meg static column RAM
o   an 80mb drive
o   a Wyse WY-995 8 port card
o   Cipher 60meg tape drive
o   Terminals:  Convergent Technologies PT-1500 in ROM emulation
    mode.  (already have these)

Software:
o   SCO Xenix 386 w/devel set and text package
o   SCO Multi-view window interface
o   VP/ix for 1-2 users
o   Quadratron Q-1 Word processing (required until WordPerfect for
    Unix becomes availale :-) )
o   PROGRESS database (required)

The machine would be used mostly for word processing by 4-6 people and
occasionally 1-2 people would run the PROGRESS database program.  Two
printers and 1-2 modems will be attached.

Has anyone had experience with a similar system?

Any advice regarding alternative controller/disk combinations and
multiport boards would be helpful.  Cost and serviceability are
considerations.

In the future we might add another 80mb drive, 8-port board, and 2meg to
support additional users.  Will the response time be degraded
significantly?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

	Name:		William D. Burton
	US Mail:	American Academy of Arts and Sciences
			136 Irving St., Cambridge, MA 02138-1996
	Audible:	1-617-576-5023
	UUCP:		...!husc6!amcad!billb
	ARPANET:	billb%amcad.uucp@husc6.harvard.edu

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (01/20/88)

Well, it sounds like a very nice system.  In my experience 2 or so Progress
users run fine on a 286 Xenix system (of course really heavy database crunching
might be slow), so I'd guess it would run just fine on an equivalent 386 system.
I've only run Progress 286 under Xenix 286 and 386; haven't tried Progress for
the 386 (if it's even ready yet.)

Are the Wyse comm boards "dumb" or "smart"?  If you're ultimately looking
to support many users at 9600 baud, you'll want to offload as much
interrupt processing as you can.

I only have experience with Q-Office (Q+) on a supermini, the Gould 9050,
and Quadratron's reputation across the net in general.  Let's just say that
the 9050 could barely support 25 Q-Office users, and it wasn't the fault
of the CPU or the OS.  The product was SLOW, and would make a Cray resemble
an 8080.  Now, Quadratron has been talking about various improvements, but
I have no experience with them, nor know anything about the state of the
Xenix version.  Caveat wordprocessor.  Now, since a 386 is close to a 9050
in raw CPU speed, perhaps it will nevertheless be able to do what you want.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

In article <594@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>Well, it sounds like a very nice system.  ...
>
>Are the Wyse comm boards "dumb" or "smart"?
Smart.  According to the sales brochure, it sports a Z80B CPU with 4
Z80B's for UARTS (?).  Thoughput is claimed to be 19.2K baud through all
eight channels simultaneously.  If you *really* need speed it supports
three channels at 76.8K baud simultaneously.

One other board I have looked into based on a recommendation, is made by
ARnet.  Their smart version appears comparable (a little faster?)
(according to the specs) to the Wyse board.  It uses an 80186 CPU and
has similar throughput.  At list price, it will cost about twice as much
as what I'll be paying locally for the Wyse board with Xenix drivers and
MS-DOS based diagnostics.  Even if the ARnet smart board is *much* better,
than the Wyse, the Wyse smart board (discount) is similarly priced to
the ARnet dumb board (list price).

>I only have experience with Q-Office (Q+) on a supermini, the Gould 9050,
>and Quadratron's reputation across the net in general.  Let's just say that
>the 9050 could barely support 25 Q-Office users, and it wasn't the fault
>of the CPU or the OS.  The product was SLOW, and would make a Cray resemble
>an 8080.

I was wondering what the net thought of this software.  The *only*
reason for using it on the '386 machine is that's what we are using now
on our Burroughs XE-550 (it's called CentrWORD on the XE and is slow
here too) and I wanted to allow the users to transition slowly to
another WP and not have to worry about converting scads of files all at
once not to mention the time it would take to learn the new SP.  It
would also give me time to write a conversion program to go from Q-One
(CentrWORD) to whatever.

-Bill

marlin@thelink.UUCP (Marlin Sheffield) (01/21/88)

From article <139@amcad.UUCP>, by billb@amcad.UUCP (Bill Burton):
> We are considering purchase of the following system:
>
> Hardware:
> o   Wyse 3216 with 4meg static column RAM
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> 	Name:		William D. Burton
> 	US Mail:	American Academy of Arts and Sciences

Bill -
    Accidently I just had a look at the  16/32 bit static memory
card that Wyse uses. [They sent it back to us from service- only problem
was that we sent a Wyse50 Power Supply in for repair!].
    The board had at least 12-15 little black wires hand soldiered to the
legs of chips and running all over the board to correct routing problems.
If I could wait -- I'd give them time to clean up the design and get into
a more normalized production mode before buying one!

--
Marlin Sheffield                                    The right answer
52178 Fieldstone   .!iuvax!ndmath!thelink!marlin    at the wrong time

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (01/22/88)

We have been using a 286 system running SCO XENIX and Progress for
about 2 years.  We just got a 386 system for use in our training
classes.  We have both the Arnet dumb and smart boards.
Here are my comments:

The configuration sounds fine.  I would watch RAM usage as the new
version of Progress (4.2) is much bigger.  Over 500K.

The Arnet dumb boards work fine but there have been problems with
the smart one.  I think it is finally under control but wouldn't swear
to it.  One of our consulting customers just bought a Wyse system
with the Wyse comm board and it all seems to be working so far.
He has only had it for a few weeks so time will tell if bugs appear.

The performance difference between the 286 and 386 is significant.
I have yet to run serious benchmarks but I expect it is 4-5 times.
I taught my last Unix for Programmers class on the 286 the first
day and the 386 for the following two days.  Even though the 286
was not really slow the students were amazed with the difference.
Much of this is due to faster disk transfers.  The disk controller
is not DMA so processor speed matters.  Also, I was able to configure
the disk with 2:1 interleave instead of the normal 3:1 which increased
the effective transfer rate.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

kevinr@june.cs.washington.edu (Kevin Ross) (01/22/88)

In article <122@thelink.UUCP> marlin@thelink.UUCP (Marlin Sheffield) writes:
>From article <139@amcad.UUCP>, by billb@amcad.UUCP (Bill Burton):
>> We are considering purchase of the following system:
>> o   Wyse 3216 with 4meg static column RAM
>
>Bill -
>    Accidently I just had a look at the  16/32 bit static memory
>card that Wyse uses. .....
>    The board had at least 12-15 little black wires hand soldiered to the
>legs of chips and running all over the board to correct routing problems.
>If I could wait -- I'd give them time to clean up the design and get into
>a more normalized production mode before buying one!

I also have a WYSE 386, and noticed that the memory board was constructed in
an obvious bug fix. We also had problems getting the board to accept the full
2 megs that it was supposed to.

However, all it took was one phone call to WYSE, and they sent out the
revised card federal express, and we are happy as can be. No computer company
is immune to the wirewrap fixes. Usually, they are fairly good about replacing
these boards, if necessary. All things considered, the wyse 386 is a very nice
machine. The one we have has a 40 meg CDC drive, 2 megs of memory, and a
computone 8 port serial board. Runs Xenix 2.2 (eventually gets a 386 upgrade).

I have had as many as 8 people using the machine, and it handles them very
gracefully (slower, but not too bad). I would reccomend the machine.

Kevin Ross
kevinr@june.cs.washington.edu
...uw-beaver!kevinr@june

sablone@dalcsug.UUCP (Aurelio Sablone) (01/29/88)

Hello,
	I would appreciate any information anyone could give me on purchasing
an intel 80386 based system running xenix386 or unix SVR3.  The system will
have to support between 6-10 users.  A typical configuration would have
about 5Megs ram, and 100M disk space.  What criteria should be used when
deciding on what system to get.  I have only seen a brouchure on the
ast premium386. Cost would be around $10,000 ($7,500 U.S.). Eventually,
the system would be further upgraded: software/memory/disk.

Any information would be appreciated.
:w

james@bigtex.uu.net (James Van Artsdalen) (01/31/88)

There have been several queries as to what 386 hardware to use.  One system I
like, and bought, is the PC's Ltd. 386/16.  This is a 16MHz 80386 system with
no wait states.  Note I mean *no* wait states: it uses purely static RAM with
no memory refresh to achieve *the* fastest processor times of any 16MHz
machine.  This isn't one of those companies that use interleaved memory,
caches, or other hand waving to fraudulently claim zero wait states.  Some of
the 16MHz caching systems might come close, but the 386/16 is faster.

The machine comes in a standard chassis with one parrellel and two serial
ports.  A 1.2M floppy disk drive, WD1003 floppy/hard disk controller and
1MHz of RAM round out the minimum configuration, which sells for $3099.
There are five 16 bit slots and two 8 bit slots.  There are eight cut-outs on
the back pannel, as the system RAM board takes up the width of a normal
card within the system, and the cut-out behind it is taken by the serial/
parrellel card to get all of the connectors out.  The RAM card holds 6meg
of the static RAM.  More can be added using regular DRAM boards on the system
bus: the DRAM is accessed at 8MHz though, and must have the refresh turned on.
I bought my system as the base unit but with 1 extra megabyte of RAM, and used
a spare EGA board and hard disk drive to get it going.  I have since added
two more megabytes (unix is a RAM hog).  A realistic monochrome system
certainly runs under $4000 with 1meg of RAM and a fair hard disk.

The system does not come with DOS.  It does have the setup program in ROM.
This is the easiest setup program to use I've seen: it is entirely
menu drive in the style of Lotus 1-2-3.  You don't need the dreaded IBM AT
diagnostics disk.  The hard disk low-level format is not in ROM (where a stray
crashed program could cause real trouble): it comes on a floppy disk if you get
a hard disk.  Any Western Digital lowform program should work as it is a
standard WD1003/WA2 board.

The system comes with a "Smart Vu" pannel (however they spell it).  This is
a four segment alphanumeric LED that is used to print error messages during
POST testing and let you know what the disk drive is doing one the system
is running.  The POST messages are scrolled English-text messages that are
easily read: you can use the machine as a file server without a video board
if desired (a setup option tells the BIOS to boot even if the keyboard and
video board aren't present).  There is the standard disk access and power LEDs,
and the standard useless key lock.

The big deal in my opinion is the one year service contract that comes free with
the system.  If it breaks, someone from Honeywell/Bull comes to your site the
next day and fixes it.  This even means things like BIOS replacements.  PC's
Ltd has made tremendous strides in compatibility and quality since this
program started: not even IBM or Compaq offer this kind of warranty.  In
addition there is a 30 day money-back guarantee I believe.

The drawbacks I see are mainly expensive RAM and potential coming changes.
RAM costs $500/megabyte.  This isn't so bad up to three or four megabytes,
as most other systems require you buy another board at some point, but still...
Secondly, I noticed that PC's Ltd. recently changed their 286 machine
quite a bit.  This could presage changes to the 386/16 in the future: I
certainly hope not.  The two changes that caught my eye were that (1) they are
now using the Phoenix BIOS, not the in-house one and (2) the Smart-Vu is
gone.  As for #1, Phoenix isn't that great, and the in-house BIOS was much
better.  Given the serious problems Phoenix has (Oracle for instance), I cannot
imagine why this change was made.  I'm certain they made Phoenix fix this
particular bug (PC's Ltd does *NOT* want to pay Honeywell to come replace
your BIOS for you), but nonetheless it was a step backwards, and they knew it.
Who knows what happened to the setup program.  For #2, the Smart-Vu is
really useful when you've swapping cards around: you can always catch error
messages no matter what the video monitor is doing.  This probably fell to
the onslaught of accountants.  The 386/16 has bigger margins, but I still
wonder if the clock isn't ticking for the Smart-Vu.

PC's Ltd. sells only directly.  You call them to place the order, and the
machine is then built to spec. in the factory, tested for four hours (unless
it's assembled too late in the day, in which case it runs overnight), and
shipped directly to you.  There are 800 numbers for sales, customer service,
technical service, and returns (everything as far as I know).  They were
extremely well organized when I called (unlike in years past).

I'm sure I left out something someone wants to know: feel free to mail
queries.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Work: 512-328-0282 Home: 323-2675; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (02/08/88)

In article <768@bigtex.uu.net>, james@bigtex.uu.net (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
> The drawbacks I see are mainly expensive RAM and potential coming changes.
> RAM costs $500/megabyte.  This isn't so bad up to three or four megabytes,
> as most other systems require you buy another board at some point, but still..

Remember that Unix systems are memory hogs.  I have been running my
286 system with MicroPort System V/AT for over a year now, the system
was unacceptably slow until I upped the memory from 1 meg to 3 meg.
Now that I have Usenet News running background jobs almost continually
:-) I am looking at sticking another 3 meg in the system, for a total
of 6.  This will, of course, require re-building the disk to create a
larger swap partition.

A good guideline that has been suggested in the BIX microport
conferences is 2 meg for the system, and 1 meg per user.  If you are
planning on running Usenet News, add another 1 meg for 'compress'.
This will keep your system from having to swap too much, and believe
me, no matter how fast your 386 is, an ST506 disk is going to make the
system sluggish if you spend a lot of time swapping/paging.  This
would require 4 meg for a (mostly) single-user system with a news
feed, and that's the MINIMUM I would recommend.  Of course, you may be
more willing than I to wait for the computer to catch up to you.

Static-RAM systems are the fastest 386 boxes out right now, but if you
don't ABSOLUTELY need that speed, you might want to look at one of the
static-RAM cache systems, the manufacturers claim an 80% hit rate, which
gives you 80% zero wait-states, and 20% 3 wait-states.  A reasonable
trade-off for $125/meg RAM, especially when you are buying 5-6 megs!

I have heard really good things about PC's Ltd.  I have also had good
experiences with AST.  I you want to get a 'name brand', buy Unisys.
My Sperry PC/IT has been flawless, and even lived through a power
spike that Killed my Oki laserprinter (to the tune of $300).  As far
as the O.S. goes, why not buy REAL Unix from MicroPort (or perhaps
Interactive Systems) and save yourself a grundle of money?  Unless you
have a specific application that runs on Xenix and not System V, get
System V.

--
    /\              - " Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/10/88)

In article <39@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
| [ Q: should I buy a Wyse 386 and Xenix? ]

| I have heard really good things about PC's Ltd.  I have also had good
| experiences with AST.  I you want to get a 'name brand', buy Unisys.
| My Sperry PC/IT has been flawless, and even lived through a power
| spike that Killed my Oki laserprinter (to the tune of $300).  As far
| as the O.S. goes, why not buy REAL Unix from MicroPort (or perhaps
| Interactive Systems) and save yourself a grundle of money?  Unless you
| have a specific application that runs on Xenix and not System V, get
| System V.

I would just add that there have been a number of people who have had
problems with the Microport serial drivers, MP doesn't cross compile for
any other system, and that Bell Tech sells SysV and C for $400.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)