[comp.unix.xenix] Trouble with VP/ix on 386/ix

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (01/29/88)

I may be a display problem.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

terry@terminus.UUCP (terry) (02/02/88)

> Hi !
>
> 386/ix support here in Europe is really bad so I try this way.
>
> I've got some trouble on running VP/ix on two Compaq clones, both are
> tested to be full Compaq compatible. They even run with the Compaq Hardware
> and BIOS. Both of them have 20 MHz  and 2 MB RAM @ 0-Wait. On all tests I

Here I dive in again!  The bus speed on 20 MHz boards in an AT-style setup
chokes cheaper boards, due to the fact they are edge- rather than
level-triggered.  This is a generic problem with all 386/20 boxes I have
seen so far, but is more prevalent with the Compaq 386/20, probably because
they (Compaq) have a good reputation and sell more boxes.  This is *NOT*
to besmirch (have at me; I LIKE bizzarre words.  I collect them) Compaq's
reputation:  I like the box.  Just don't buy cheaper cards.

SCO Xenix is rumored to have had a problem with thinking there was a math
co-processor when there wasn't on the Compaq 386/20, but were also rumored
to have fixed it (a mythical revision 'k'... where's my copy?).

You may try contacting the OS distributor for a patch, or, if it's selectable
clock your machine slower.

[All items in above article that should be trademarked are hereby trademarked
 ...let it be so]

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!terminus!terry |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |

manes@dasys1.UUCP (Steve Manes) (02/04/88)

In article <18100001@altger.UUCP> dirk@altger writes:
>2. A Micronics 386 board (tested to be 100 % Compaq compatiple) Phoenix BIOS
>	VP/ix starts, clears the screen and I can see the Phoenix BIOS
>	copyright. After this the system hangs.

I got my VP/ix today.  Without mincing words, it's an absolute disaster
on my MiniMicro 386, which has proven itself a very-compatible in other
departments.  Like you, the screen clears and I get the Phoenix prompt.
Then the machine hangs until I insert a DOS disk in the A: drive.

This may be just unfamiliarity with VP/ix but since it blows my terminals
apart I can't get much further.  It sends the prompt over to the right-hand
margin and then, at each RETURN, displays prompts one-row left per line.
It won't let me leave the DOS disk.  And when exiting VP/ix, I have to
reboot the machine to get my terminals back.

Oh well, it >is< a "Controlled Release" and I never figured that anyone
could get such a difficult emulator to work first time.
--
+-----
+ Steve Manes            Roxy Recorders, Inc.             NYC

dirk@altger.UUCP (dirk) (02/12/88)

/***** altger:comp.unix.xeni / dirk / 12:09 am  Jan 26, 1988*/

Hi !

386/ix support here in Europe is really bad so I try this way.

I've got some trouble on running VP/ix on two Compaq clones, both are
tested to be full Compaq compatible. They even run with the Compaq Hardware
and BIOS. Both of them have 20 MHz  and 2 MB RAM @ 0-Wait. On all tests I
replaced all cards, BIOS even CPU's of the clones with the one of two
different Compaq board releases. I even tried out a buggy iAPX386. But
VP/ix only ran on the original Compaq even when it used the cloned BIOS,
CPU, RAM and controllers on the Compaq board. I used VP/ix 1.0.3 and
1.0.4 on all tests.  Here is what I got:

1. A WISDOM 386 (looks like the old Compaq board) Award BIOS
	When starting VP/ix, the screen clears, cursor moves home and
	the disks sound like core dumping. After this the system hangs.

2. A Micronics 386 board (tested to be 100 % Compaq compatiple) Phoenix BIOS
	VP/ix starts, clears the screen and I can see the Phoenix BIOS
	copyright. After this the system hangs.

If somebody knows how to solve this problem, pls. give me response on this
note.

Thanks and kind regards,
Dirk
..unido!altger!dirk

/* ---------- */

snoopy@altger.UUCP (Mathias Niemz) (02/12/88)

Are you shure, that this isn't a bios problem? I talked with some people
about installing of sco-xenix on a at-clone and they warned me, that
there might be problems.
+ uucp: ...!pyramid!tub!netmbx!snoopy or ...!uunet!unido!altger!snoopy +
+ Snailmail: Mathias Niemz, Preussenallee 23, D-1000 Berlin 19         +

allen@sulaco.UUCP (Allen Gwinn) (02/18/88)

In article <445@altger.UUCP> dirk@altger.UUCP (dirk) writes:

>I've got some trouble on running VP/ix on two Compaq clones, both are

We were supposed to pick up a copy of VP/ix, but as I understood it, the
current version that they were shipping was buggy...

>If somebody knows how to solve this problem, pls. give me response on this
>note.

You might try giving SCO a call at their tech support number in the
US... or you could bite the bullet and order DosMerge(tm) from Microport
(along with their Unix port, of course).

--Allen   {ihnp4,killer,decvax}!sulaco!allen