[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix/SUN tape drives

wrp@biochsn.acc.virginia.edu (William R. Pearson) (02/21/88)

	I am planning on getting a 60 Mbyte streaming cartridge tape drive
for my IBM/PC-AT running Xenix.  I would like to be able to have this
drive read and write cartridges to/from a Sun3/50.  The easiest tape drive
for me to buy is an Everex, but I have gotten conflicting information from
dealers as to it's compatibility with Xenix, not to mention with the Sun.

	(1) I can get the everex with a QIC36 or QIC02 controller.  The
QIC02 controller costs a little more.  There is agreement that the QIC36
controller needs special driver software.  Can I use the QIC02 controller
with Xenix without any special drivers?

	(2) SCO (the makers of my Xenix), say that they support various
drive/controller combinations (none of which I can find to buy).  SCO says
they write tapes in QIC24 format.  Is this the same as that used on a SUN
3/50 tape drive?  Can I exchange tapes.

	(3) There are some retailers that will sell me an Archive 60 Meg
drive (although they do not seem to know anything about it).  Is this drive
more compatible with the Sun?

	Thank you for any help.  There must be many Everex tape drive owners
out there, I hope that a few are running Xenix (and reading news).

Bill Pearson
wrp@virginia.EDU

chip@killer.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (02/23/88)

> wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:
>	(1) I can get the everex with a QIC36 or QIC02 controller.  The
>QIC02 controller costs a little more.  There is agreement that the QIC36
>controller needs special driver software.

If these external drivers are by Sytron Corp, beware.  I'm using their
drivers with a Tecmar QT-60e drive.  They don't include any documentation
other than for their brain-damaged, menu-driven backup program.  I called
up Sytron to get the ioctl codes to rewind and retension tapes.  They
keep telling me that this information is "proprietary", even though the
folks who say so obviously have no idea what an ioctl() is.

I haven't given up.  I told them I'm willing to sign a non-disclosure,
and the tech support people are now passing the buck to their Director
of Product Development.  Maybe the dictionary needs another entry for
proprietary:  we don't know and we don't want to bother finding out.
--
Chip Rosenthal         chip@vector.UUCP		| But if you want to sing the
Dallas Semiconductor     (214) 450-0400		|  blues, then boy you better