[comp.unix.xenix] Microport: ttyM1, Modem Problem

kebsch@nixpbe (02/15/88)

I am running Microport System V/AT Rel-2.2.2 L  and have some problems with
/etc/getty at /dev/ttyM1 respectively /dev/ttym1.

I did put this line in /etc/inittab: t1:2:respawn:/etc/getty ttyM1 1200 ,
called telinit q and got a getty on ttyM1 running.

It is possible to login via the modem, but after hang up (Phone/Modem)
the shell respectively the last invoked program is still running.
I expected a hangup signal that kills the running program, so that getty
is restarted. The "Carrier Dedect" signal changed in the right way.
Has anybody experience with this problem and knows how to fix it?

With regards

Waldemar (dk3vn)
UUCP ....:   {uunet,mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!kebsch.pad
NERV ....:   kebsch.pad
Papermail:   Waldemar Kebsch, Nixdorf Computer AG, Entwicklungstechnik,
	     Pontanusstr. 55, D-4790 Paderborn, W-Germany
Phone ...:   [nation]-5251-14-6155

learn@igloo.UUCP (william vajk) (02/24/88)

In article <23000001@nixpbe.UUCP>, kebsch@nixpbe writes:

> I did put this line in /etc/inittab: t1:2:respawn:/etc/getty ttyM1 1200 ,
> called telinit q and got a getty on ttyM1 running.

our line reads    '18:2:respawn getty ttyM1'

we handle the speed with /etc/gettydefs, which required a minor
rehack to contain 300, 1200, and 2400 baud. The modem comes on line
as soon as the system hits multiuser (init level 2) after boot up.

> It is possible to login via the modem, but after hang up (Phone/Modem)
> the shell respectively the last invoked program is still running.
> I expected a hangup signal that kills the running program, so that getty
> is restarted. The "Carrier Dedect" signal changed in the right way.
> Has anybody experience with this problem and knows how to fix it?

we sometimes have a user that hangs up improperly and does not 'exit'
the system. this tends to either leave processes running, or in the
worse case, confuse the system to a point that DTR will not come back
up. Once this has happened, any manipulation (eg having root kill the
getty for the tty) results in a system crash (double panic) and requires
a reboot to make the system usable again.

We also invoke the following line in .profile in ~home

stty intr '^c' kill '^u' erase '^h' echoe

a ^d or 'exit' logs the user off properly, terminates the processes,
and resets the DTR on the modem, respawns getty.

Bill Vajk                                          learn@igloo