[comp.unix.xenix] VT100 termcap extras

tyager@mkunix.DEC.COM (Tom Yager) (02/14/88)

This might be old news by now, but I just discovered it myself & haven't
seen anything similar posted here in a while.

I spent a good deal of money on a Visual 603 terminal (nice, by the way)
only to find that it performed poorly in vi. Specifically, delete line
put up the "@" character instead of deleting, insert line repainted the
entire screen each time, and insert character redrew everything to the
right of the cursor. Some of this was just annoying at 9600 baud, but
someone dialing in & trying to use "vi" could have some real problems.

I added the following entries the the standard SCO termcap entry for the
VT100. I've tested them and checked DEC documentation to see if these
features are also available for the real VT100: they are. Your terminal
may require delay settings on some of these. Here's the new entries:

   al=\E[L:dl=\E[M:dc=\E[P:im=\E[4h:ei=\E[4l:mi:

If you're using a VT100 emulation, be wary of the "im" and "ei" entries
above--your emulation has to be pretty tight to support these. If you
have problems inserting characters in 'vi' after making these changes,
remove the "im" and "ei" entries and try again.

--
Tom Yager, Digital Ultrix Support ("It MUST be the hardware!")
U.S. Mail: DEC, 14 Walkup Drive YWO/C9, Westborough, MA 01581

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (02/16/88)

:
:I added the following entries the the standard SCO termcap entry for the
:VT100. I've tested them and checked DEC documentation to see if these
:features are also available for the real VT100: they are. Your terminal
:may require delay settings on some of these. Here's the new entries:
:
:   al=\E[L:dl=\E[M:dc=\E[P:im=\E[4h:ei=\E[4l:mi:
:
:If you're using a VT100 emulation, be wary of the "im" and "ei" entries
:above--your emulation has to be pretty tight to support these. If you
:have problems inserting characters in 'vi' after making these changes,
:remove the "im" and "ei" entries and try again.
:
:--
:Tom Yager, Digital Ultrix Support ("It MUST be the hardware!")

I'm not sure that those screen controls are part of the basic VT100
set.  The DEC "Terminals and Printers Handbook" shows them starting
with the VT101.

Tom is correct in observing that one's terminal emulation must be
"fairly tight" to work with this termcap speedup.  Pro-YAM and ZCOMM
work just fine, but Procomm Plus Test Drive went crazy when I tried
it at 9600 bps on an 8 mHz AT clone.

In order not to break Procomm, I'd suggest adding a "vt102" entry
(assuming you don't already have one) as follows:

vt102|dec vt102:\
	:al=\E[L:dl=\E[M:dc=\E[P:im=\E[4h:ei=\E[4l:mi:tc=vt100:

That defines the new features and uses the "vt100" entry for the rest.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746   CIS: 70007,2304    Genie: CAF

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (02/16/88)

In article <152@mkunix.DEC.COM>, tyager@mkunix.DEC.COM (Tom Yager) writes:
> I added the following entries the the standard SCO termcap entry for the
> VT100. I've tested them and checked DEC documentation to see if these
> features are also available for the real VT100: they are. Your terminal
> may require delay settings on some of these. Here's the new entries:
>    al=\E[L:dl=\E[M:dc=\E[P:im=\E[4h:ei=\E[4l:mi:

Nope; VT100s do *not* have add and delete line capabilities.  I both checked
the documentation and went over to the VT100 in the next room to verify that
documentation matched reality.  (VT102s are, of coures, another story.)

To duplicate the test:
	* find yourself a Digital-Equipment-Corporation-built VT100
	* go into SET-UP mode
	* put the terminal in LOCAL mode
	* get out of SET-UP mode
	* type
		<ESC> # 8
	  to fill the screen with capital Es
	* Move the cursor to the middle of the screen
	* and type
		<ESC> [ L
	  and note that no blank line appears.
--
ado@vax2.nlm.nih.gov		ADO, VAX, and NIH are Ampex and DEC trademarks

cabo@tub.UUCP (Carsten Bormann) (02/18/88)

In article <152@mkunix.DEC.COM> tyager@mkunix.DEC.COM (Tom Yager) writes:
() I added the following entries the the standard SCO termcap entry for the
() VT100. I've tested them and checked DEC documentation to see if these
() features are also available for the real VT100: they are. Your terminal
() may require delay settings on some of these. Here's the new entries:
()
()    al=\E[L:dl=\E[M:dc=\E[P:im=\E[4h:ei=\E[4l:mi:

Nice to see that your Visual 603 supports these, but a Digital VT100
(you remember? the black-and-white thing controlled by a real 8080)
does NOT support any of these control sequences.  Better add a separate
entry for these capabilities and call it vt102 (the VT102 is the most
well-known DEC terminal that DOES support these sequences).

If you do the change as suggested, you will render your systems
unusable for owners of real VT100s (or of real VT100 emulators).
I'd really like to see the DEC documentation you cite (definitely not
the documentation for the old 1978 vintage VT100).

Greetings, Carsten
--
Carsten Bormann, <cabo@tub.UUCP> <cabo@db0tui6.BITNET> <cabo@tub.BITNET>
Communications and Operating Systems Research Group

vrh@mhres.mh.nl (Michael Verhey) (02/25/88)

In article <152@mkunix.DEC.COM>, tyager@mkunix.DEC.COM (Tom Yager) writes:

> I added the following entries the the standard SCO termcap entry for the
> VT100. I've tested them and checked DEC documentation to see if these
> features are also available for the real VT100: they are. Your terminal
> may require delay settings on some of these. Here's the new entries:
>
>    al=\E[L:dl=\E[M:dc=\E[P:im=\E[4h:ei=\E[4l:mi:

At the The Hague Polytechnic, where I studied Computer Sciences,
the VT100 termcap entry contained the following entries for inserting
and deleting lines:

     al=\E7\E[%i%2;24r\E8\EM\E[1;24r\E8:\
     dl=\E7\E[%i%2;24r\E[24;1H\ED\E[1;24r\E8:

These entries make use of the scrolling facilities of the VT100.

Entries for entering and leaving insert-mode weren't defined.

--
Michael Verheij (using Netnews)
USENET: vrh@mh.nl via European backbone (mcvax).