[comp.unix.xenix] Terminal emulators for cu

mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) (02/08/88)

I am using an Intel 310 xenix computer system (R3.4) and am calling
out on the modem line.  My local terminal is a wy50, but the system that
I am calling into requires a vt100 terminal.

Is there an way to have the cu command route information through the
termcap entry for vt100 then back into the wy50 (Actually thinking about
this I realize that its pretty impossible, but...) or is there some
program that can use the modem line?

If anyone has any information, could you mail it to the address below?
Thanks for any help!

Marcos Della

--
...!csustan ->!polyslo!caus-dp!marcos | marcos@caus-dp | Whatever I said doesn't
...!sdsu ---/   Lt. Marcos R. Della   | mdella@polyslo | mean diddly as I forgot

bruce@idsssd.UUCP (Bruce T. Harvey) (02/11/88)

In article <1188@polyslo.UUCP>, mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) writes:
> I am using an Intel 310 xenix computer system (R3.4) and am calling
> out on the modem line.  My local terminal is a wy50, but the system that
> I am calling into requires a vt100 terminal.
>
> Is there an way to have the cu command route information through the
> termcap entry for vt100 then back into the wy50 ...

Me too!  Any info would be appreciated, although I realize the chance is
small.

We use several different terminals, which may change from time to time,
and it would be a great help not to have to issue new termcap/terminfo
descriptions for any terminal we might use to ALL customer sites instead
of just running the data through our information at our HOME site.

Bruce T. Harvey    (B-}>  |                 ... cp1!sarin!wb3ffv!idsssd!bruce
Inter-departmantal Do-fer |                      ... mitisft!tws!idsssd!bruce
(301) 584-1960            |  In*sight Distribution Sys., Inc./Hunt Valley, MD

mikep@ism780c.UUCP (Michael A. Petonic) (02/13/88)

In article <451@idsssd.UUCP> bruce@idsssd.UUCP (Bruce T. Harvey) writes:
>In article <1188@polyslo.UUCP>, mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) writes:
>> I am using an Intel 310 xenix computer system (R3.4) and am calling
>> out on the modem line.  My local terminal is a wy50, but the system that
>> I am calling into requires a vt100 terminal.
>>
>> Is there an way to have the cu command route information through the
>> termcap entry for vt100 then back into the wy50 ...
>

>Me too!  Any info would be appreciated, although I realize the chance is
>small.

Well, you could buy a vt-100 terminal  :-).

Seriously, there is a program that was posted to comp.sources called
"screen" that did just that.  In fact, you could have several screens
up, also.  It would make your terminal (in a roundabout way) look like
a vt-100.  Also included are utility code to write a vt-100 emulator.

Since I have a vt-100 (or at least a Wyse-75) I don't need this, but you
might ask around for it.  Check some archives.

-MikeP

romwa@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Dornfeld) (02/16/88)

I know this costs money, but there are some terminal emulation
software packages available for XENIX.  The one that comes to
mind is Century Software's Term.  It was not too expensive and
in an early version it looked pretty solid.

They advertise in UNIX Review and UNIX World so you can get
the info from there. (My backissues are not here at home.)

Mark T. Dornfeld
Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queens Park
Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
M5S 2C6

mark@utgpu!rom      - or -     romwa@utgpu

mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) (02/18/88)

Is there any way to get the termcap system to work on incoming as well as
outgoing translations. That is, take the characters going in, convert them
to the termcap representation then back to the terminal on which you are
connected?

This is becoming a problem as now I also need to emulate an IBM 3101 terminal
(is that the right number?)

--
..!csustan ->!polyslo!mdella    | mdella@polyslo | Whatever I said doesn't
..!sdsu ---/   Marcos R. Della  | (805) 543-0135 | mean diddly as I forgot

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (02/19/88)

In article <1277@polyslo.UUCP> mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos Della) writes:

 >Is there any way to get the termcap system to work on incoming as well as
 >outgoing translations. That is, take the characters going in, convert them
 >to the termcap representation then back to the terminal on which you are
 >connected?
 >
 >This is becoming a problem as now I also need to emulate an IBM 3101 terminal
 >(is that the right number?)

As long as you are using cu to access another UNIX system, all you should have
to do is set your terminal type on the remote UNIX to the type of your local
terminal, and you won't need to do any converting.

When it comes to other systems though, you might need such a beast.
--
Wolf N. Paul                  Phone: (214) 306-9101 (h)   (214) 404-8077 (w)
3387 Sam Rayburn Run          UUCP: ihnp4!killer!{dcs, doulos}!wnp

mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) (02/23/88)

]>
]
]As long as you are using cu to access another UNIX system, all you should have
]to do is set your terminal type on the remote UNIX to the type of your local
]terminal, and you won't need to do any converting.
]

The pproblem that I am facing is that the computer that I am calling is a DEC
machine that is running some strange operating system that I have NO ideas
on how to get around. The operators up there assured me that they cannot change
the modem ports just for little ole me and that the terminal interfacing roblem
was mine to deal with... Oh well...

Any more ideas?

--

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (02/27/88)

In article <45
1@idsssd.UUCP>, bruce@idsssd.UUCP (Bruce T. Harvey) writes:
> In article <1188@polyslo.UUCP>, mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) writes:
> > I am using an Intel 310 xenix computer system (R3.4) and am calling
> > out on the modem line.  My local terminal is a wy50, but the system that
> > I am calling into requires a vt100 terminal.

We sell one, and it can even go out thru opennet.  Pick up UNIX Review or
UNIX World.  It is 100% accurate as far as we know.  LSE works, DEC-DEMO,
and ALL-IN-1.  And it will work from the WY-50.  Highlighting can be had
with a bit of termcap-twiddling, as the wy50 is usually SG#1.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |

lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Lee McLoughlin) (02/28/88)

>The pproblem that I am facing is that the computer that I am calling is a DEC
>machine that is running some strange operating system that I have NO ideas
>on how to get around. The operators up there assured me that they cannot change
>the modem ports just for little ole me and that the terminal interfacing roblem
>was mine to deal with... Oh well...
>
>Any more ideas?

I once had to connect to a DEC machine running VMS that seemed fixated
on vt100 terminals.  I was stuck on a tvi920 (or somesuch).  I found a
program called vtem, I think, which made whatever terminal you were on
emulate a vt100 by interpreting all output and converting it using
termcap/curses.  It spawned a shell internally.  I then used to run it
then call cu.  Seemed to work ok.

I can't find my sources for vtem anymore.  But I dare say a request on
the net..

You'll then have all the fun of making it emulate the terminal you
want :-).

	Lee.

--
UKUUCP SUPPORT  Lee McLoughlin
	"What you once thought was only a nightmare is now a reality!"

Janet: lmjm@uk.ac.ic.doc, lmcl@uk.ac.ukc
DARPA: lmjm@doc.ic.ac.uk (or lmjm%uk.ac.ic.doc@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk)
Uucp:  lmjm@icdoc.UUCP, ukc!icdoc!lmjm