[comp.unix.xenix] Multiple screens and terminals...

mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) (02/23/88)

I just recently installed a multiuser PC/AT-based SCO Xenix system
that uses an intelleget 8 port card and Wyse 60 terminals.

Question:

There are eight screens available via <Alt> <Fn> key sequence for the
console.  How can I get extra screens on my terminals too???

The documentation only talks about "Multiscreens" for the console
device.  Is there ANY way to configure extra screens for my terminals (1, 2
anything...) too?  I don't need eight for the console.  Maybe I can give
some of them to the terminals.

There has got to be a way!

Also, how can I configure the ports to run at 19.2k baud (can Xenix handle
that)?

Thanks!
--
Mitchell Lerner
UUCP:  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell

"When I fight with my mind, my mind always wins" - Ben Hummel

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (02/24/88)

In <1944@cadovax.UUCP> mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
>There are eight screens available via <Alt> <Fn> key sequence for the
>console.  How can I get extra screens on my terminals too???

Write a new operating system.	:-)

There isn't any way to do it with the basic XENIX system.  They sell a
windowing package that does windows, but it is *not* the same thing.

BTW, you get as many multi-screens as you have memory for (according to
some magic algorithm).  If you don't want 8, you can knock it down to 2
by using the /usr/sys/conf/configure program.  The manuals document it.
>Also, how can I configure the ports to run at 19.2k baud (can Xenix handle
>that)?

XENIX will use 'exta' as 19.2 and 'extb' as 38.4 if your serial card
will support those speeds.  Look in the /etc/gettydefs and /etc/ttys
files to see what to do.  If you need more assistance, just send email.

--
Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
					      mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

romwa@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Dornfeld) (02/27/88)

XENIX has the shell layers implementation which, while a bit
on the clumsy side, can give you multiple sessions on a single
terminal.

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (02/27/88)

In article <7120@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>In <1944@cadovax.UUCP> mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
>>There are eight screens available via <Alt> <Fn> key sequence for the
>>console.  How can I get extra screens on my terminals too???
>
>Write a new operating system.	:-)
>
>There isn't any way to do it with the basic XENIX system.  They sell a

System V supports shl layers which provide virtually the same functionality.
Shl layrers work on terminals and over dial-up lines.

Look in the SCO documentation or the AT&T manuals for the syntax for the
shl command.

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

wrp@biochsn.acc.virginia.edu (William R. Pearson) (03/02/88)

>>>There are eight screens available via <Alt> <Fn> key sequence for the
>>>console.  How can I get extra screens on my terminals too???
>System V supports shl layers which provide virtually the same functionality.
>Shl layrers work on terminals and over dial-up lines.

	I do not wish to sound unkind, but shl is a joke.  On my
xenix console, I can run ANY program, except the CGI (Computer Graphics
Interface) stuff, press ALT-F1-4, and get to another screen.  With shl,
I cannot ^Z out of emacs, cu, rn, or who knows what else.  This is quite
different from BSD Unix, where ^Z works virtually anywhere.

	shl is a poor substitute for the multiscreen on the Xenix console
or BSD job control.

Bill Pearson
wrp@virginia

andrew@riddle.UUCP (Andrew Beattie) (03/04/88)

>>System V supports shl layers which provide virtually the same functionality.
>>Shl layrers work on terminals and over dial-up lines.
>
>	I do not wish to sound unkind, but shl is a joke.

'round these parts, we use multiview to provide the kind of functionality
that you get on the console - it gives you windows onto different programs
and allows you to swap between them at will.  Dare I say that if you want
it then we can sell it to you (0628 75343).

Disclaimer: Most of the techies in my department use it and seem happy
with it but I don't bother because I have the console.