[comp.unix.xenix] 386 system

knewton@watsup.waterloo.edu (K. Glen Newton) (03/09/88)

hello,

this is a call of assistance from someone not to knowledgable about
unix/xenix. in out lab we have a 16 Mhz Zenith 386 with 5 Meg and a 80 meg
hard drive. we are about to purchase sco xenix 386 (os & development),
multi-view, and vp/ix.
i have a couple of questions and problems i would appreciate some help with:

    1 - we want to connect to the local net with an ethernet board. what
        boards support xenix (& vice versa). will these boards come with the
        requisite software(firmware) (tcp/ip, etc...).

    2 - what about email and news? every other unix machine on the net
        around campus are running bsd4.3, so i don't know if we'll be able
        to get sources for the above that would run without much difficulty.
        is there a public domain news for xenix?

    3 - with vp/ix, can you run a ms-dos task in more than one console window
        at a time?

    4 - has anyone had any experiance with the statistics package that runs
        on xenix?

    5 - exactly what terminals does 2.2.2 actually support?

    6 - is the ms C compiler come with everything the the separatly purchased
        version have?

     sorry if these questions have already been discussed/answered in this
     space or are simply stupid. i would appreciate any advice from 386
     xenix users, including anything i have not covered.

thanks much,

'cogito ergo ELK'

watmath!watsup!knewton
knewton@watsup

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/11/88)

In article <3523@watcgl.waterloo.edu> knewton@watsup.waterloo.edu (K. Glen Newton) writes:
| i have a couple of questions and problems i would appreciate some help with:
|
|     1 - we want to connect to the local net with an ethernet board. what
|         boards support xenix (& vice versa). will these boards come with the
|         requisite software(firmware) (tcp/ip, etc...).
  The excelan system seems to work pretty well for ftp, telnet, and
rlogin. I have not seem NFS for XENIX from anyone, although it is
doable.

|     2 - what about email and news? every other unix machine on the net
|         around campus are running bsd4.3, so i don't know if we'll be able
|         to get sources for the above that would run without much difficulty.
|         is there a public domain news for xenix?
  The existing news will run with minimal hacking, but I would wait for
the new version. You can get your Email via uucp or SMTP on Enet. I
don't know if anyone offers the SMTP interface, but it only takes a day
or so to write. I only did the server, since Excelan gave me software to
do uucp via Enet, and all my outgoing stuff works that way.

|     3 - with vp/ix, can you run a ms-dos task in more than one console window
|         at a time?
  ??? You can with the version that runs on 386ix. Haven't gotten my
version for Xenix yet (real soon now, they tell me).

|     5 - exactly what terminals does 2.2.2 actually support?
  Standard set of termlib stuff. Unless you use something bizarre it
should work.

|     6 - is the ms C compiler come with everything the the separatly purchased
|         version have?
  Don't confuse the MS-DSO and Xenix compilers. They're similar, but
don't always produce quite the same code. The 386 cc will compile for
x/286 or DOS, and will run most x/286 programs (unless they depend on
file formats in the system files).

  The compile to DOS doesn't include curses, and I haven't had a chance
to compile the PD PC-curses package under Xenix.

  Overall I have been very happy with the system. The o/s has been very
reliable (ain't broke yet), and the support software is quite good. I
have not tried other Enet boards other than Excelan.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

chip@killer.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (03/15/88)

>Bill Davidsen (davidsen@crdos1.UUCP) replied:
>>K. Glen Newton (knewton@watsup.waterloo.edu) originally wrote:

>>     6 - is the ms C compiler come with everything the the separatly purchased
>>         version have?
>  Don't confuse the MS-DSO and Xenix compilers.
>  The compile to DOS doesn't include curses, and I haven't had a chance
>to compile the PD PC-curses package under Xenix.

I've put together a makefile which generates a DOS cross-compilation library
for the PC-curses package.  I'd be glad to send it out if there is any interest.
--
Chip Rosenthal         chip@vector.UUCP		| But if you want to sing the
Dallas Semiconductor     (214) 450-0400		|  blues, then boy you better