[comp.unix.xenix] Mail error under UUCP

radjg@yabbie.rmit.oz (Jordan Green) (03/09/88)

I am using a TI BusinessPro (286) running Xenix 2.2 equipped with a v22
modem (1200baud).

I have setup the uucp subsystem and it seems to be operating almost faultlessly
except for one small and annoying bug.  Whenever I am sent mail from another
system it arrives here on gremlin (my machinename) and disappears into a black
hole never to resurface. Attached is a copy of the LOGFILE and clearly it is a
permission problem but, who for? I can successfully send mail to merlin (the
other machine in this example) but theirs is lost. I tried -x9 on uucico but
as far as I can understand the output it gives no more information than the
LOGFILE.

Any and all advice appreciated.

LOGFILE

root merlin (3/9-9:56) SUCCEEDED (call to merlin)
root merlin (3/9-9:57) OK (startup)
root merlin (3/9-9:57) REQUESTED (S D.gremlinB0135 D.gremlinB0135 jordan - )
jordan merlin (3/9-9:57) REQUESTED (S D.merlinX0133 X.merlinX0133 jordan - )
jordan merlin (3/9-9:57) REQUESTED (S D.gremlinB0139 D.gremlinB0139 david - )
david merlin (3/9-9:57) REQUESTED (S D.merlinX0137 X.merlinX0137 david - )
david merlin (3/9-9:57) OK (conversation complete)
root merlin (3/9-9:57) jordan XQT DENIED (rmail jordan )
root merlin (3/9-9:57) david XQT DENIED (rmail root )

Jordan Green

ACSnet: radjg@yabbie		UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!yabbie.rmit.oz!radjg
CSNET:  radjg@yabbie.rmit.oz	ARPA: radjg%yabbie.rmit.oz@uunet.uu.net
BITNET: radjg%yabbie.rmit.oz@CSNET-RELAY

Post: R & H Australia Pty. Ltd.		Phone: + 61 3 699 6611
      287 Grant Street,
      South Melbourne, 3205.
      Australia

My employers don't have opinions in these matters 'cos they don't know what
login: means.

root@bilanc.UUCP (Super user) (03/11/88)

In article <725@yabbie.rmit.oz>, radjg@yabbie.rmit.oz (Jordan Green) writes:

> I have setup the uucp subsystem and it seems to be operating almost faultlessly
> except for one small and annoying bug.  Whenever I am sent mail from another
> system it arrives here on gremlin (my machinename) and disappears into a black
> hole never to resurface. Attached is a copy of the LOGFILE and clearly it is a
> permission problem but, who for? I can successfully send mail to merlin (the
> other machine in this example) but theirs is lost. I tried -x9 on uucico but
> as far as I can understand the output it gives no more information than the
> LOGFILE.
>
> root merlin (3/9-9:57) jordan XQT DENIED (rmail jordan )
> root merlin (3/9-9:57) david XQT DENIED (rmail root )

Try adding an entry to /usr/lib/uucp/L.cmds with 'rmail' in it.

Rich
---
"Adversity is the crucible from which greatness is forged." - Ken Baker
   ____       ____         ___
  / _  \     / _  \       / _ \         Richard A. Bilancia
 / / \_/    / / \_/   _   \ \\/         Computer Guidance & Support
/ /        / /  _    | |   \ \          P. O. Box 620127
\ \   _    \ \ | \  | + |   \ \         Littleton, Colorado  80162
 \ \_/ \    \ \_| \  |_|  /\_| \        voice: (303) 973-4035
  \____/     \____/       \____/
                                        ihnp4!sys1!bilanc!rab
Multi-User Accounting Solutions		attmail!bilanc!rab

mic@altger.UUCP (mic) (03/12/88)

In article <725@yabbie.rmit.oz> radjg@yabbie.rmit.oz (Jordan Green) writes:
>root merlin (3/9-9:57) jordan XQT DENIED (rmail jordan )
>root merlin (3/9-9:57) david XQT DENIED (rmail root )

I think, there is something wrong with your USERFILE. Due to a bug (or is
it a feature ?) in the UUCP there must be at least one line with an empty
systemname and one (note, this must be on a different line) with an empty
username in the USERFILE, or uuxqt will not work.

For example:
anyusercode, /anydirectory
, anysystemname /anydirectory

will work, but:
, /anydirectory

or:
anyuserode,anystystem /anydir
, /anydir

will not work, because the two empty names are on the same line.
To be safe, use the default Userfile provided with your system.

	Michael

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (03/13/88)

In article <725@yabbie.rmit.oz> radjg@yabbie.rmit.oz (Jordan Green) writes:
>I am using a TI BusinessPro (286) running Xenix 2.2 equipped with a v22
>modem (1200baud).
>
>Whenever I am sent mail from another system it arrives here on gremlin (my
>machinename) and disappears into a black hole never to resurface.
>
>root merlin (3/9-9:57) jordan XQT DENIED (rmail jordan )
>root merlin (3/9-9:57) david XQT DENIED (rmail root )

Two possibilities:

- Make sure the command "rmail" is in your L.cmds file. (Hey, I know it's ob-
  vious, but I had to mention it.)

- Make sure your USERFILE is set up correctly to allow the execution daemon,
  uuxqt, to run. Somewhere in your USERFILE there must two lines to define the
  file access defaults, one with a blank machine name, and one with a blank
  login name, as in:

	nuucp,		/usr/spool/uucppublic
	,merlin		/usr/spool/uucppublic

  The line with the blank machine name defines (amongst other things) the file
  access permissions for uuxqt. If this line is missing, uuxqt will always
  return XQT DENIED. Note that on XENIX 2.2 UUCP, a single line like:

	,		/usr/spool/uucppublic

  will *not* do the job. You gotta have two lines, one to define each case.
  Even if they are:

	,		/usr/spool/uucppublic
	,		/usr/spool/uucppublic

<csg>

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (03/22/88)

In article <557@altger.UUCP>, mic@altger.UUCP (mic) writes:
> In article <725@yabbie.rmit.oz> radjg@yabbie.rmit.oz (Jordan Green) writes:
> >root merlin (3/9-9:57) jordan XQT DENIED (rmail jordan )
> >root merlin (3/9-9:57) david XQT DENIED (rmail root )
> >
> I think, there is something wrong with your USERFILE.

	Nah. Jordan just doesn't have 'rmail' at his system's permission
level in the file /usr/lib/uucp/L.cmds on the remote machine.  See your
doc's or the nutshell handbook from O'Reilly & Associates.  They advertise
in UNIX World.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 }                          |
| @ Century Software          : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |