[comp.unix.xenix] AT&T apology, reprise

tyager@mkunix.DEC.COM (Tom Yager) (03/22/88)

Some people have been questioning the sincerity of my apology. It seems I
need to be a bit more direct.

I do not hate AT&T. I did not post the humor article out of spite or because
I or other DEC employees think AT&T is a joke. Hardly. I work with AT&T code
every day in my job and greatly admire and respect Unix as a concept and a
product. There had been other postings of similar ilk poking fun at other
corporations, so I thought (foolishly) that no one would take such a
tongue-in-cheek entry seriously. This was my mistake.

I also work daily in an area where there are others dealing on a regular
basis directly with AT&T's support departments. I can speak from experience
that they are professional, capable and responsive. I guess I took for
granted that others would know that the contents of the "memo" I sent
out were very far from the truth. That's precisely why I thought it was
amusing.

I posted this article without thinking. It was a stupid, short-sighted
thing to do, but I can assure you all that nothing like this will happen
again. I also pass my most sincere apologies to AT&T and hope that they
will accept that my posting, and its "keywords" entry, were intended in
fun and not meant to upset anyone or cast a bad light on their product. I
have invested heavily in AT&T products in past jobs and continue to stand
by the quality of their products and services.

Thanks again.

--
Tom Yager, Digital Ultrix Support ("It MUST be the hardware!")
U.S. Mail: DEC, 14 Walkup Drive YWO/C9, Westborough, MA 01581

billa@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Anderson) (03/23/88)

In article <162@mkunix.DEC.COM>, tyager@mkunix.DEC.COM (Tom Yager) writes:

> Some people have been questioning the sincerity of my apology. It seems I
> need to be a bit more direct.

.
.
> Tom Yager, Digital Ultrix Support ("It MUST be the hardware!")
> U.S. Mail: DEC, 14 Walkup Drive YWO/C9, Westborough, MA 01581
> uucp:      ...decvax!mkunix!tyager
> THE VIEWS EXPRESSED HERE ARE MY OWN; NOT MY EMPLOYER'S

I work for AT&T, and can take or leave someone's ridicule of the
company (whether they are kidding or not.)  Tom, ask each of the
people who mailed to you what their response has been to the IBM
jokes that have been posted in the past.  Did they laugh?  Did
they save them?

			LIGHTEN UP!!

My signature is in the header.