[comp.unix.xenix] XENIX ESDI CRASHES

raj@spl1.UUCP (Robert Alan Johnson) (03/18/88)

> This box has all 32bit memory.  Since I posted I have replaced
> the memory, the controller, did a low level disk format,
> reinstalled (flawlessly), then BOOM!.  Down she went when I
> tried to install the drivers for an eight port board
> (Consensys).  I think this particular Compaq was made on a
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I had intewresting problems with Consensys boards in a COMPAQ about
five months age.  It wasn't under ESDI but standard SCO.  I kept crashing
at random times.

After a few calls to Consensys, they admitted to compatability problems
with COMPAQ motherboards (or clones thereof), something about a PAL
mismatch.

They suggested an INTEL compatible motherboard.

I gave up on the consensys and installed a Control systems SMART
HOSTESS, no problems.

BTW: I recently called Consensys about resurrecting the boards (yes
I still own them) to have them work under SCO 386 on a real INTEL
motherboard system.  I needed 386 drivers.  It seems that there is
a new version of the consensys board, and of course, their drivers are
not downward compatible.

I've called 3 times, always promised a call back in 10 mins, I'm
still waiting.  *$&#'ed again!  Anyone want to buy 2 unused 8 port
consensys boards?

--

Robert A. Johnson, SYSOP        UUCP: {ihnp4,ddsw1,ll1!ll1a,laidbak}!spl1!raj
The Software Public Library    VOICE: 1 312 248 5777

romwa@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Dornfeld) (03/23/88)

I did not want to be the first person to flame Consensys, but
now that I've seen a flame and I'm not the only person having
trouble it's "flame on."

The people at Consensys are technically competent, but they do
not have anything good up front.  After going through a couple
rounds with their eight-port boards and now a tape drive, I'm
convinced that others should be warned.  What we need is high
quality end-user support for XENIX.  Consensys is only
interested in selling a box and then leaving you high and dry.

You may also be interested in knowing that they do not have
any people in the US even though they have an "answering
machine" somewhere in Texas.  The company is based in Toronto.

So be careful.  There are other good companies around with
products that work and that offer support.

sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) (03/24/88)

In article <1988Mar22.181219.1405@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, romwa@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Dornfeld) writes:

> I did not want to be the first person to flame Consensys, but
> now that I've seen a flame and I'm not the only person having
> trouble it's "flame on."
>
> The people at Consensys are technically competent, but they do
> not have anything good up front.  After going through a couple
> rounds with their eight-port boards and now a tape drive, I'm
> convinced that others should be warned.  What we need is high
> quality end-user support for XENIX.  Consensys is only
> interested in selling a box and then leaving you high and dry.
>
> You may also be interested in knowing that they do not have
> any people in the US even though they have an "answering
> machine" somewhere in Texas.  The company is based in Toronto.

Before Xenix 2.2 was available, I was running Xenix 2.1.3. Part of my
hardware configuration was a standard Archive tape backup system and needed
a device driver. After contacting a few companies that sold hardware for
Xenix, I contacted Consensys Systems in TEXAS. I did not get an answering
machine but an honest to goodness live individual. He explained to me that
they do not sell their device driver as a stand-alone product but is
included with their Archive Tape system. To make a long story short, he
was willing to sell me the driver for a nominal fee ( which I purchased ).
During the installation, I had a few problems ( which turned out to be
my own ) and Consensys Systems was MORE than willing to help bring the
system up.

I have been following the negative messages concerning Consensys Systems and
I feel that a positive one should also be mentioned. I have called
Consensys many times since then, in Texas, and have never reached an
answering machine. The company may be small since I always have connected
with the same person.

Sanford ( Sandy ) Zelkovitz    XBBS     714-828-0288
          ........!ihnp4!hermix!alphacm!sandy
          ........!ucbvax!ucivax!icnvax!alphacm!sandy
          ........!uunet!ccicpg!turnkey!alphacm!sandy