[comp.unix.xenix] SCO Xenix Diskette Driver Bugs?

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (03/26/88)

Configuration:

SCO Xenix 2.2 (controlled) on Model 80-111 w/ single 1.44M floppy.
SCO Xenix 2.2 general release on Model 60-??? w/ dual 1.44M floppies.

Background:

My employer developes software under several different operating systems of
which DOS and Xenix are two. In the past, we have been able to format HD
diskettes under DOS on an AT (15 sectors/track), TAR the Xenix software onto
the DOS formatted diskette (using /dev/fd096ds15), then, using DOS diskcopy,
create mirror images of the Xeenix master for shipment to our software
duplicator.

Problem:

We are trying to use the very same scenario to create 1.44M 3.5" diskette
masters.   When I format a HD disk under DOS (18 sectors/track), TAR the
Xenix software onto the DOS formatted disk (/dev/fd0135ds18), then try to
make a diskcopy, DOS complains about incompatible media.  When running,
diskcopy indicates it's trying to copy 15 SECTORS/TRACK, not 18 sectors/track!
We have tried variations on this theme.  Formatting under Xenix first, then
TAR'g to floppy, then diskcopying.  No good.  We even checked to make sure
that TAR was filling the 1.44M disk and it did.

Question:

Has anyone else encountered these problems?  If so, does anyone have a patch,
fix, etc.?  SCO is already at work on their end.

Please respond directly to the address below.  Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

-- Ed.

Net  :  {uunet,ihnp4,noao,yale}!hsi!tankus
Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
Bell :  (203) 562-2101

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/28/88)

  Did you try formatting the destination disk and doing the copy with
'dd'? It's probably a bug, but until you get a fix you may be able to
get by with that.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (03/28/88)

In article <10127@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>   Did you try formatting the destination disk and doing the copy with
> 'dd'? It's probably a bug, but until you get a fix you may be able to
> get by with that.
> --
> 	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
>   {uunet | philabs | seismo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen
> "Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

No we didn't try that. However, 'dd' uses the same device driver name that TAR
and FORMAT would use.  Since we feel that there is probably a bug in the floppy
device driver, ANY disk to floppy transfers using /dev/fd0135ds18 are no good.

If there really IS a bug, then ANYONE doing disk to floppy transfers under SCO
Xenix on a PS/2 will be affected.  Help is still requested!

Thanks.