[comp.unix.xenix] 3270 emulation for Xenix wanted.

domo@riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) (03/16/88)

I've been searching -- so far without success -- for an IBM 327x terminal
emulator for Xenix that supports a co-ax connection.  Everything I've seen
so far -- Cleo, Rabbit, UniPath and others -- supports a modem-style
connection only on Xenix, even where the same company's PC-DOS offerings
include harware support for co-ax.  In my current application I need co-ax
for speed: I've megabytes of data to transfer on a regular basis.
Emulation of a single terminal would be adequate: I don't need a cluster-
controller emulation, although I'd use one if it could do the job.
I'm targetting 80286-based PC-AT clones.  If my arm were severely twisted,
I might be happy with a solution which applied only to 80386-based AT-bus
systems.

Can you help?  I'd also be interested in comments about file transfer
facilities included in any package you know about.  Also, if a suitable
package is not available, does anybody have experience of solving this
problem in a circuitous manner -- for example, by connecting the PC to an
Ethernet which is in turn connected to a high-speed SNA gateway?  How
difficult is this?  How much is it likely to cost?

Please post replies, as it's my feeling that quite a few netlanders will be
interested in the information.  However, if you feel reticent, mail me, and
I'll post a summary of anything interesting.
--
Dominic Dunlop
domo@sphinx.co.uk  domo@riddle.uucp

robert@rabbit1.UUCP (Robert Oliver) (03/31/88)

In article <577@riddle.UUCP>, domo@riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
> I've been searching -- so far without success -- for an IBM 327x terminal
> emulator for Xenix that supports a co-ax connection.  Everything I've seen
> so far -- Cleo, Rabbit, UniPath and others -- supports a modem-style

[SNA or BSC --RLO]

> connection only on Xenix, even where the same company's PC-DOS offerings
> include harware support for co-ax.  In my current application I need co-ax
> for speed:

As for having DOS Coax-attach products but not Xenix counterparts, we're
guilty as charged, though one could question the usefulness of a 1-session
CUT coax or even a 5 session DFT coax product for a multi-user system.

But coax doesn't appear to be the real issue; you seem to require speed, not
coax.  In fact, coax doesn't give you any speed:  you have to connect it to
a 3x74 controller, which in turn is usually connected to the host via SNA or
BSC.  Don't know exactly how a channel-attached controller would help your
file transfer.

Anyway, I'll be in touch, since we offer both 3270 IND$FILE file transfer
and RJE based file transfer (RJE is more suited to bulk file transfer), and
can run at 9600 baud with no problem.

> Please post replies, as it's my feeling that quite a few netlanders will be
> interested in the information.

Done.

> --
> Dominic Dunlop
> domo@sphinx.co.uk  domo@riddle.uucp

--

Robert Oliver
Rabbit Software Corp.		(215) 647-0440
7 Great Valley Parkway East     ...!ihnp4!{cbmvax,cuuxb}!hutch!robert
Malvern, PA  19355		...!psuvax!burdvax!hutch!robert