[comp.unix.xenix] I need an RDBMS - based accounting package, capable of fund or cash accounting right out of the box.

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) (03/24/88)

I need advice from the knowledgeable.

     I'm a *nix novice, just beginning to learn it... but I am
the system manager responsible for a Model T network system, about
to be replaced.

     We've been using Apple ///s running on a Constellation II
network for the last four years, and we've finally hit the wall.
After dealing with all this time with Apple Pascal running on 1.5
MHz cpu's handling disk I/O >and< console I/O as well as other
processing, we're actually going to buy a new computer system.  A
>real< computer system.

     We're meeting in the next couple weeks with an accounting
firm that will recommend specific software packages to suit our
needs, so whatever hardware we end up with will have to run a
package from their list...  but I suspect that will leave us
considerable leeway, providing they don't want us to use (yuck)
Pick.

     So, anyway, here's what I see as our generic hardware
platform:

        A.  It must run Unix, one flavor or another, as fast as
            possible (20MHz clock on a 32-bit processor would be
            nice...);
        B.  >100 MB HD, Tape drive, easily expandable;
        C.  >4MB Ram, easily expandable;
        D.  Support 8-9 users (terminals), easily expandable;

     And for generic software needs, outside of the inevitable
accounting package:

        E. Transparent networking to PCs and Macs, a la TOPS;
        F. Word Processing (>not< Computer Aided Publishing... that's
                            what the Macs and PCs will be for.);
        G. A fast DBMS with a 4GL, providing a data dictionary / user
           dictionary structure that will allow record-level file
           locking, multi-level password security and addition of fields
           without recompiling applications, and providing hooks to standard
           languages (C, Modula-2, Pascal, Basic) that can be used in
           combination with the 4GL as needed...  linked spreadsheet
           capabilities would be nice, too, and  I'm hoping that whatever
           accounting package we end up with will use the DBMS, so I can more
           easily write my own applications (order entry, job tracking,
           etc.) hooking into it;
       H.  A spreadsheet with everything Lotus has, at least.
       I.  Capability to run MS-DOS as a subtask of Unix,
           for any or all users.

     Oh, and all this should cost around $25,000.

     A tall order?  Seems that way... but judging from what I've
     seen in the trades so far, it should be possible.

     I have talked to DEC, IBM, Sun Microsystems...  and am
awaiting word from Harris.  I've talked to SCO and Fox
about software, but there's no TOPS (or TOPS-like product) for
Xenix 386 or uPort 386, so I don't think they'll do... but I'd
like to be proven wrong.   I really like what I've seen of SCO
Xenix, and I feel that a 386 box would be the most cost-effective
solution for us right now.

     So I ask you, what's the best <fill in the blank from the
items mentioned above> and why?

     I would appreciate any and all recommendations, caveats, etc.
folks here have to offer from the vast collective mind of Usenet,
on any or all items, including recommended sources of training for
myself and my users.

     Also, bear in mind that this is for (in part) a charitable
organization involved in providing job-training and affordable
housing for the homeless population of the greater NY area...  any
suggestions regarding funding aid would also be very much
appreciated.

     I await your comments with massive expectations.

     Thank you.

Organization:Zen Community of New York

--
Tom Betz                        {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!tbetz

rgsmeb@abcom.ATT.COM (Michel Behna) (03/26/88)

From article <3523@dasys1.UUCP>, by tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz):
>         F. Word Processing (>not< Computer Aided Publishing... that's
>                             what the Macs and PCs will be for.);
I suggest that you look at either SCO Lyrix or Tigera's Word Era, although
personally I would suggest the latter. Tigera is in CA, They used to be
Fortune Systems before thhe hardware and software group split. Also you
may want to look at WordPerfect.
Both Word Era and WordPerfect have Unix and DOS packages.
>         G. A fast DBMS with a 4GL,
I suggest you look at either Oracle or Informix 4-GL. I have used Informix
4-GL and I like it. I am unsure about Oracle.
>        H.  A spreadsheet with everything Lotus has, at least.
Try 20/20 as a spreadsheet. It's available from SCO.
>        I.  Capability to run MS-DOS as a subtask of Unix,
>            for any or all users.
Microport 386 with Merge386 will allow this easily. Also you may want to look
at PC-I (PC-interface from Locus?).

As far as integrating Macs into this I don't think many systems out there are
available that will do it. Most are probably unproven on the market or kludgy.

Michel Behna
amdahl!abcom!rgsmeb

gerry@syntron.UUCP (G. Roderick Singleton) (03/27/88)

In article <3523@dasys1.UUCP> tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:
>I need advice from the knowledgeable.
>
>     I'm a *nix novice, just beginning to learn it... but I am
>the system manager responsible for a Model T network system, about
>to be replaced.

 [stuff deleted]

>     We're meeting in the next couple weeks with an accounting
>firm that will recommend specific software packages to suit our
>needs, so whatever hardware we end up with will have to run a
>package from their list...  but I suspect that will leave us
>considerable leeway, providing they don't want us to use (yuck)
>Pick.

Don't bet on it.  Many so-called reputable accounting firms have a vested
interest in getting you to take their packages.

>     So, anyway, here's what I see as our generic hardware
>platform:
>
>        A.  It must run Unix, one flavor or another, as fast as
>            possible (20MHz clock on a 32-bit processor would be

 [stuff deleted]

>        G. A fast DBMS with a 4GL, providing a data dictionary / user
>           dictionary structure that will allow record-level file
>           locking, multi-level password security and addition of fields
>           without recompiling applications, and providing hooks to standard
>           languages (C, Modula-2, Pascal, Basic) that can be used in
>           combination with the 4GL as needed...  linked spreadsheet
>           capabilities would be nice, too, and I'm hoping that whatever
>           accounting package we end up with will use the DBMS, so I can more
>           easily write my own applications (order entry, job tracking,
>           etc.) hooking into it;

I have just the beastie for you.  One of the divisions of my company,
Resolve Logic, has just the turn-key package you want.  Including the
UNIX engine.  You will have to call or email me at this site because
I'm sitting at home with this Shanghai flu thing and can't locate the
information on our Pittsburgh office.  ( Voice : 416-764-8620 (gerry)
or 416-764-9923 (joe)).  The software even integrates spreadsheet
output and DBMS output into wordprocessing-type files.

 [ stuff deleted]

>       I.  Capability to run MS-DOS as a subtask of Unix,
>           for any or all users.

Are you sure?  This type of requirement may tie you onto an IBM or clone
with no growth path.  Resolve also runs on ATs but with noticable performance
losses.

>     Oh, and all this should cost around $25,000.

I'm sure this criteria can be met with no problem.

>     A tall order?  Seems that way... but judging from what I've
>     seen in the trades so far, it should be possible.
>
>     I have talked to DEC, IBM, Sun Microsystems...  and am
>awaiting word from Harris.  I've talked to SCO and Fox
>about software, but there's no TOPS (or TOPS-like product) for
>Xenix 386 or uPort 386, so I don't think they'll do... but I'd
>like to be proven wrong.   I really like what I've seen of SCO
>Xenix, and I feel that a 386 box would be the most cost-effective
>solution for us right now.

Again are you sure that a PC is really what you want?  Anyways call me
or Joe Novak before making a decision.  I think our products mounted on
a GOOD UNIX machine plus our user interface which integrates the various
functions will be exactly what you want.  In addition, we have lots of
canned accounting packages which will make the transistion somewhat
more pleasant.  You can reach Joe at 416-764-9923 or email
syntron!rls!joe.

 [stuff deleted]

I hope this is some help.  I'm sorry I can't send all the blurbs machine
readable but troff, postscript and phototypesetter outpu is the pits to
read.  Anyways, if I've peaqued your interest please call.

--
G. Roderick Singleton, Technical Services Manager
{ syntron | geac | eclectic }!gerry

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (04/05/88)

As quoted from <289@syntron.UUCP> by gerry@syntron.UUCP (G. Roderick Singleton):
+---------------
| >     I have talked to DEC, IBM, Sun Microsystems...  and am
| >awaiting word from Harris.  I've talked to SCO and Fox
| >about software, but there's no TOPS (or TOPS-like product) for
| >Xenix 386 or uPort 386, so I don't think they'll do... but I'd
| >like to be proven wrong.   I really like what I've seen of SCO
| >Xenix, and I feel that a 386 box would be the most cost-effective
| >solution for us right now.
|
| Again are you sure that a PC is really what you want?  Anyways call me
| or Joe Novak before making a decision.  I think our products mounted on
| a GOOD UNIX machine plus our user interface which integrates the various
| functions will be exactly what you want.  In addition, we have lots of
+---------------

(as long as we're tossing sales pitches around...  P.S.  Doesn't this belong
in email?)

Oh, I don't know about that.  Recent Altos machines using the 386 processor
will run Mis-Dos [ ;-) ] as a subtask, but Altos has no interest in selling
DOS systems.  (I wish they had no interest in selling their 286 systems....)

(opinion follows)
Why the heck do you want to run Mis-Dos anyway?  If you want a singleuser
environment, get *real* Amigas or Macs -- subtasks under a multitasking OS
won't give you much unless the hardware's nice and fast, in which case it's
even faster to run native programs.  And MS-DOS is by far the *ugliest*
of the singleuser operating systems available (now that TRSDOS is dead,
at least...  ;-)  [don't flame me, TRSDOS 6.x is really LDOS, which is better
than Mis-Dos any day!]
--
	      Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
       {well!hoptoad,uunet!hnsurg3,cbosgd,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery