[comp.unix.xenix] More on Quantus

dee@linus.UUCP (David E. Emery) (04/05/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.1 of Sun Aug  2 1987 on faron (berkeley-unix)

From Sunday News, Manchester NH, 3 April 1988.  (exerpts quoted with
permission from this front-page article.)

Firms owing $3 million Dishonest, State Says
	by Tom Fahey
	Union Leader Staff

	"The state is alleging that evidence of fraud, dishonesty and
gross mismanagement led it to force two Spofford computer companies
into receivership and bankruptcy last month.
	In arguments filed with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, the state
claims that Thomas C. Slack of Keene, over the last four years, ran
companies that have left behind at least $3 million in debts.
	Slack, owner of Scientific Storage Technology Inc. (SST) and
Quantus Micro Systems Inc. (QMS) filed for protection under the U.S.
Bankruptcy Code after the state Attorney General's Office obtained a
court order for a receiver to take control of the mail order computer
firms."

	"(Assistant Attorney General Donald) Feith alleges that beyond
merely being a poor businessman, Slack engaged in a pattern of
misconduct and illegal activities while running SST and QMS that could
leave customers and suppliers holding the bag.
	The court documents allege Slack engaged in "fraud, dishonesty
and gross mismanagement," while operating SST and QMS, because it had
no funds available for refunds and were unable to obtain inventory
needed to meet orders."

	"He (Feith) said last week he will press with a civil suit
against Slack individually for injuries against consumers who were
hurt by the pre-paid sales practice"

	"On Friday, Manchester Attorney Timothy Smith filed to
represent Slack.
	He (Smith) said the sale of a nearly completed commercial
building in the Keene area should help cover the company debts, but
would not retire all of them."

	"He estimated that the building would fetch between $600,000
and $1 million, but that would be depleted by payment of mortgages.
	Whatever is left would be held by the trustee.  "That would be
used to satisfy creditor claims and consumer debt.  They get priority,
even before taxes," Smith said. "But obviously, the consumer debt is a
problem.  That's what triggered this whole thing."

So, if you got ripped-off, you should probably contact the N.H.
Consumer Protection Division or the N.H. Attorney General.  Both are
located in Concord, NH.  (I don't have addresses or phone numbers.)
Good luck!

			dave emery (who almost bought a QMS 386 box)
			emery@mitre-bedford.arpa
			faron!dee

norstar@tnl.UUCP (Daniel Ray) (04/07/88)

In article <28417@linus.UUCP>, dee@linus.UUCP (David E. Emery) writes:
> From Sunday News, Manchester NH, 3 April 1988.  (exerpts quoted with
> permission from this front-page article.)
>
> So, if you got ripped-off, you should probably contact the N.H.
> Consumer Protection Division or the N.H. Attorney General.  Both are
> located in Concord, NH.  (I don't have addresses or phone numbers.)
> Good luck!

Thank-you all for the followups! I, too, learned of the demise of Quantus about
a day after posting my story. My $3760 (and the machine that went with it!) are
lost, I'm sure. I'll be lucky to get pennies on the dollar from the court. Not
only have I dealt with a second-rate company, but a ripoff artist as well. Seems
that Tom Slack has done this kind of thing before...

Anyway, to all you nice but gullible people out there (you know who you are!),
watch out, or this could happen to you...

* Certainly a learning experience!! *

norstar (at The Northern Lights) uunet!uvm-gen!tnl!norstar
"We are all spirits of light!"