[comp.unix.xenix] 386 questions

weave@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Weaver) (03/31/88)

I'm searching for a 386 box to run Interactive Systems Unix. I plan
to do development in support of a law office running Interactive Systems
Unix on an AT&T 386 machine.

-What is an adequate configuration?  Interactive Systems recommends
>= 4 M of ram and >= 40 M hard disk.  Are their recommendations valid?

-How does Interactive's Unix compare (in price, performance, support etc)
with the Microport and Bell Technology versions, and with SCO Xenix for
that matter?  Would it make sense to do development on say Microport
Unix or SCO Xenix when my primary customer is using Interactive Unix?

-What is a good machine to buy?  Obviously, cost is a primary consideration.
Has anyone had experience with the Northgate or Quantus 386 machines?  Their
advertised prices are lower than most.

Thanks
Jim Weaver

norstar@tnl.UUCP (Daniel Ray) (04/01/88)

In article <4219@ihlpf.ATT.COM>, weave@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Weaver) writes:
> -What is a good machine to buy?  Obviously, cost is a primary consideration.
> Has anyone had experience with the Northgate or Quantus 386 machines?  Their
> advertised prices are lower than most.
>
> Thanks
> Jim Weaver

Hi all, this is my first USENET posting ever. Let me tell you about the Quantus
MT/386 machine. When I had decided to purchase a UNIX system and all that goes
with it, due to financial constraints I wanted to go mail order wherever
possible. The Quantus (from Quantus Micro Systems, Spofford, NH) was the only
machine that was cheap as well as having an 80meg drive and 2megs of RAM, so
I was sold, not knowing any better (sometimes I do the smartest things! :@).
They were real nice over the phone, and I drove down to their plant (since I
live in Vt), and paid $3760 in hard cash and picked up my machine. At the time
I was still waiting for the SCO XENIX software to arrive, so all I could do was
to experiment by running some MS-DOS stuff I had. Exactly 8 hours after I
turned it on, the machine crashed. It lost the CMOS setup configuration that
told it about the hard disk, the time, etc. I also discovered that Quantus had
forgot to give me the security key *and* the setup program with the machine.
So I called them and asked for it, thinking that running SETUP would fix things.
A week later, it came in the mail, but when I ran it it didn't work. Somehow
the controller card flaked out. I decided that I wanted my money back. So I
returned the machine, but they said that I'd have to wait 30 business days
before I could get a refund. That time has passed, and still no word from them.
They have both my machine and my money. Very soon now I shall take them to
court. When I was down there waiting to give back my machine, there were two
other customers in there waiting to get their machines fixed. Turns out that
they bought the 286 machine, and each, independently had disk failures within
a week of ownership.

The moral of the story: DON'T BUY A QUANTUS!

Btw, I never encountered such a mean (substitute more potent descriptor here)
group of people, when I wanted a refund. I mean its only money, no need to
get so bad. Oh well.

northstar (of The Northern Lights)  uunet!uvm-gen!tnl!norstar
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
"All things I thought I knew, but now confess: the more I know I know,
I know the less"  -- Robert Owen

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (04/02/88)

In article <4219@ihlpf.ATT.COM> weave@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Weaver) writes:
| I'm searching for a 386 box to run Interactive Systems Unix. I plan
| to do development in support of a law office running Interactive Systems
| Unix on an AT&T 386 machine.
|
| -What is an adequate configuration?  Interactive Systems recommends
| >= 4 M of ram and >= 40 M hard disk.  Are their recommendations valid?

  I certainly wouldn't go any smaller than that.

| -How does Interactive's Unix compare (in price, performance, support etc)
| with the Microport and Bell Technology versions, and with SCO Xenix for
| that matter?

  Bell TEch is selling UNIX so you can use their hardware, the real
thrust of their sales. About the only thing they really support is the
device drivers which they write.

|               Would it make sense to do development on say Microport
| Unix or SCO Xenix when my primary customer is using Interactive Unix?

  I wouldn't do development on anything else due to postability
problems. I evaluated the IS C compiler for a business, and my opinion
is that it's a real piece of... NO! I am trying not to do flames, just
say that I was not impressed, because about a third of the working
programs I tried to compile caused the compiler to crash (not complain,
like core dump). You would be ahead to use the compiler which the
customer has, or to look for a version of Greenhills for IN/ix to use
for development, and move the binaries.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

dee@linus.UUCP (David E. Emery) (04/04/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.1 of Sun Aug  2 1987 on faron (berkeley-unix)

Quantus went under last week.  there was a front page article on the
founder, who's had several other failures, in the Manchester NH Sunday
News.  I strongly suggest you contact the Attorney General in N.H. to
get on the list of creditors.

I almost bought a quantus machine.  Now I'm glad I resisted the
temptation...

				dave emery
				emery@mitre-bedford.arpa
				faron!dee

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (04/05/88)

My friend's buddy bought two '386 machines from Quantus.  He only
received one before the company went into receivership.  Now he's
out about $2k for the machine he didn't get.  The mahcine he did
get came sans setup disk, so it is dead in the water until we can
find some sort of workable BIOS for it.

Moral of the story:  try before you buy!  If the advertising
sounds too good to be ture -- it is!

--Bill

root@uwspan.UUCP (Sue Peru Sr.) (04/05/88)

+---- weave@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Weaver) writes in <4219@ihlpf.ATT.COM> ----
| I'm searching for a 386 box to run Interactive Systems Unix.
| -What is an adequate configuration?  Interactive Systems recommends
| >= 4 M of ram and >= 40 M hard disk.  Are their recommendations valid?

    The *absolute* minimum RAM you want is 2Mb + 1Mb for each
    person/thing using the machine (you + uucp + news2.11 = 3Mb
    additional).  You will find that the performance of the machine
    will almost double when going from 1Mb to 2Mb, again when going
    from 2Mb to 3Mb, and again from 3Mb to 4Mb.  above 4Mb (and single
    user) you will usually keep everything in memory and not have to be
    swapping/paging from disk.  The disk i/o on an AT bus is *slow*
    (compared to the CPU speed...) and the more memory you have, the
    faster things run.

    ***BE SURE*** you only use 32 bit memory - it runs at 1 or 2 wait
    states (depending on the machine design).  A 16 bit memory card
    (like Everex's RAM 3000...) needs about 14 to 16 wait states!.  A
    16 Mhz 386 CPU with 16 bit memory runs almost as fast as a 6Mhz IBM
    PC-AT with a 286 CPU :-(

| -How does Interactive's Unix compare (in price, performance, support etc)
| with the Microport and Bell Technology versions

    This is the family tree for 386 Unix System5:

		        Interactive's base port
		      -----+--------+-------+----
			   |        |       |
			   |        |   continuing development
			   |        |   VP/ix & ISC dev drivers
			   |        |       |
			   |  dev drivers   +--> Interactive's current release
			   |        |
			   |        +----------> Bell Tech's current release
		     continuing development
		     Locus Merge & dev drivers

			   +-------------------> Microport's current release

    ISC and Microport support their products by enhancing, upgrading,
    fixing, and adapting their code; Bell Tech does NO extra
    "development" - you get a copy of ISC's base port, Bell Tech's
    device drivers for the ICC, HUB, and 60Mb Tape, and that's it.

| Has anyone had experience with the Northgate or Quantus 386 machines?  Their
| advertised prices are lower than most.

    I'd stay away from Quantus - several people here at the UW have had MAJOR
    problems with the company (credit cards billed on receipt of order, then
    the order is "lost" and then "found".. + requirement of a 30-60 day wait
    until refund is processed...)  really very bad news to deal with...

    Northgate is a good place - I just hope that they aren't growing too fast!

| Thanks, Jim Weaver

  -John Plocher

--
Comp.Unix.Microport is now unmoderated!  Use at your own risk :-)

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (04/06/88)

In article <4219@ihlpf.ATT.COM> weave@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Weaver) writes:
> -How does Interactive's Unix compare (in price, performance, support etc)
> with the Microport and Bell Technology versions, and with SCO Xenix for
> that matter?  Would it make sense to do development on say Microport
> Unix or SCO Xenix when my primary customer is using Interactive Unix?

If you look closely at Microport's Unix, you will see that it actually
is Interactive's Unix with uPort mods.  Under those circumstances, the
two should be fairly compatible.

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481

hsu@santra.UUCP (Heikki Suonsivu) (04/07/88)

In article <10208@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <4219@ihlpf.ATT.COM> weave@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Weaver) writes:
>| -What is an adequate configuration?  Interactive Systems recommends
>| >= 4 M of ram and >= 40 M hard disk.  Are their recommendations valid?
>
>  I certainly wouldn't go any smaller than that.

I was running microport in 1.6 M or ram. It worked but was painfully
slow. Now I have 3.6 M and it still feels slow when doing lots of
compilations on the background. Bottleneck does seem to be hard disk,
not CPU or memory.  Comparing to my old convergent miniframe, speedup
is not much, and after two compilations in both machines miniframe
with one meg of memory (swap, swap) feels a bit nicer to use, it has
better response time, swapped out emacs comes back quicker, and so on,
though timing compilations gives worse results. I agree with both
recommendations, and there is still more speedup available with more
memory and faster disks.

>problems. I evaluated the IS C compiler for a business, and my opinion
>is that it's a real piece of... NO! I am trying not to do flames, just

I have compiled gnu emacs, some public domain stuff floating around
and few hundred kb of my own source form microport without any
problems, I was surprised as I expected much worse as an owner of
V/AT.

I had some funny things happening when I had lots of stuff in memory,
probably I run out of swap as I had gnuemacs in all windows, two
compilations and lint going on, and killing other emacses cured the
problem (telling me out of memory could be nicer instead of syntax
error in the end of all files or /bin/as exiting with random values,
though). *= problem with chars which is documented in the manuals
occured once when compiling gnu emacs (etags) and fns.c compiled with
-O made emacs to core dump when called without parameters. No other
problems in cc has occured yet. My own code is quite portable as I
have to make it run on PCs also.

cc is not specially fast, it beats miniframe 3:1 but that's not too
well for 3.6M:1M and 80386@16MHz@1w:68010@10MHz@0w, uport has more
buffer memory than miniframe core in total !-) (hard disks have same
size and speed). This may be because of disk io, olivetti probably
thought that people would be using a mess dos anyway so why bother
with fast hard disk io.