[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix/Everex Tape Installation

wrp@biochsn.acc.virginia.edu (William R. Pearson) (04/08/88)

	I have just received an Everex 60 Mbyte cartridge tape drive
with QIC02 controller, for use with Xenix 2.2.1.  I have been told
that I need the Xenix Mountain tape driver to use this drive by
someone at SCO, and it is on its way.  But I note that the Everex
controller is set up to use INTQ 3, which is also used by the serial
ports I believe.

	Has anyone installed such a cartridge tape drive? (It is supposed
to be Xenix compatible out of the box, because of the QIC02 controller).
What interrupts, DMA channels, or whatever, should be used?

	Any help will be apprecieated.

Bill Pearson
wrp@virginia.EDU

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (TCC Software Developer) (04/08/88)

In article <327@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:

>	I have just received an Everex 60 Mbyte cartridge tape drive
>with QIC02 controller, for use with Xenix 2.2.1.
>	Has anyone installed such a cartridge tape drive? (It is supposed
>to be Xenix compatible out of the box, because of the QIC02 controller).
>What interrupts, DMA channels, or whatever, should be used?

Bill,
	You can find out if it is compatible "out of the box" by doing a
mkdev tape. Set the tape type to 1 (Archive), the DMA channel to 1, the
interrupt will vary although we use 5 (lp2) since we do not use that printer
port (although we actually do have the hardware port), and finally set the
offset to 0200H. Remember that you will have to change the settings on the
controller board to match these values. mkdev will then update your drivers
and relink the kernal. Reboot your system using the new kernal and then try
the 'tape' command, say "tape reset" and see what happens. If your drive does
not respond to this command then you will need special drivers and controlling
software. For instance, Bell Technologies tape system uses special drivers and
have their own command binaries.
						Hope this helps,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA