[comp.unix.xenix] affect of HZ on XENIX

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (04/06/88)

I have in my custody an Sco Xenix 2.1.3 system (corum.UUCP) that seems to work
just fine and dandy, but i'm curious about one thing (well alright, many
things, but i don't want to drown you out there... (:-)); the diagnostic/
informational messages that are printed on the system console at boot time
include one about the line frequency: "HZ=50".  Now, we are in the US so we
should be at 60Hz, right?  Why is this set to 50?  Does it affect the system
much?  Would the system be faster if its reset to 60?  Should i ignore this
message?

I looked through all the include files i could find and these slices are all
the references i could find to "HZ":

	 */
	#ifdef M_I86
	#define	HZ	20		/* Ticks/second of the clock */
	#define	SSIZE	1024		/* initial stack size (bytes) */
	#endif

	#ifdef M_I286
	#define	HZ	50		/* Ticks/second of the clock */
	#define	SSIZE	4096		/* initial stack size (bytes) */
	#endif

	 */
	#ifdef M_I86
	#define	HZ	20		/* Ticks/second of the clock */
	#define	SSIZE	1024		/* initial stack size (bytes) */
	#endif

	#ifdef M_I286
	#define	HZ	50		/* Ticks/second of the clock */
	#define	SSIZE	4096		/* initial stack size (bytes) */
	#endif

Hopefully not being a bimbo with a stupid question,
derek
--
Derek Terveer	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG	uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det

ericg@sco.COM (Mwa ha ha) (04/08/88)

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) wrote in article <132@hawkmoon.MN.ORG>:
>include one about the line frequency: "HZ=50".  Now, we are in the US so we
>should be at 60Hz, right?  Why is this set to 50?  Does it affect the system

The interrupt timer frequency and the frequency of common alternating
current in the US have as much in common as a liverwurst sandwich and
a girraffe.. i.e. none.

The HZ=50 is the rate in which the interrupt controller chip is
sending interrupts.

>much?  Would the system be faster if its reset to 60?  Should i ignore this
>message?

If you set it to 60, strange things would occur, most notably your software
clock will run fast.

>I looked through all the include files i could find and these slices are all
>the references i could find to "HZ":
>
>	 */
>	#ifdef M_I86
>	#define	HZ	20		/* Ticks/second of the clock */
>	#define	SSIZE	1024		/* initial stack size (bytes) */
>	#endif

In other words, XT machines have interrupt timers that run at 20 Hz

>	#ifdef M_I286
>	#define	HZ	50		/* Ticks/second of the clock */
>	#define	SSIZE	4096		/* initial stack size (bytes) */
>	#endif

But AT machine's interrupt timers run at 50 Hz

>Derek Terveer	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG	uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det

--
I do not speak for SCO, I barely have enough room for my own opinions.
"When there is no more room in the river, the trout shall walk the earth."

Eric Griswold |<help! i'm caught in the middle of a .signature>| ericg@sco.com

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (04/08/88)

The HZ value is the number of clock ticks per sec. It is not related to
the power line frequency in any way. On an 8086 machine it is set to
20 ticks/sec, while on a 286 it's 50.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)