[comp.unix.xenix] Bell Technologies UNIX/386

martin@xrtll.UUCP (Martin Renters) (03/30/88)

Has anyone had any experience with the Bell Technologies
UNIX for the 80386?

In particular, does it work reasonably well, or is
Microport or XENIX better? Is it lacking anything that
the other two supply?

Martin Renters           ...!utzoo!yunexus!xrtll!{root | martin}

bowles@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Jeff Bowles) (03/31/88)

"Has anyone had any experience with the Bell Tech 80386 Unix?"

I have some, but not a lot - in the past couple of months, I've started
working on a 80386 machine running Bell Tech's hacks to SVR3. As I
understand it, Intel did the port, and Bell Tech provided drivers.

1) It's fast enough for me as a single user, and I've nothing good or
bad to say about it as a multiple-user machine.

2) They provide most of the SVR3 distribution, as you'd expect, and
reconfiguring the kernel is pretty easy. You don't get DWB
(nroff/troff) because it's not part of SVR3. It's a pretty vanilla port
of SVR3 (which is good in that you don't get weirdness added in by the
porter, and bad because it's bug-for-bug the same as the other SVR3's.)

3) Bell Tech has an RFS available for Ethernet, running (gad!) an AT&T
internal protocol, NPACK. I was more than a little displeased to find
out that they were using it, but... it seems to work okay. (If memory
serves, the main problem is that when it's broken, NO ONE can figure
out why - but when it works, it's fine.)

I have things to say about their technical support of their product,
but would prefer to put that in private correspondence.

The product seems pretty good, and there have been few suprises.

	Jeff Bowles
	New York City

romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) (03/31/88)

In article <201@xrtll.UUCP> martin@xrtll.UUCP (Martin Renters) writes:
>Has anyone had any experience with the Bell Technologies
>UNIX for the 80386?

This isn't really what you're looking for, but my real experience
with it is that I tried to buy a copy a week ago and called four
consecutive days and never got to talk to a salesman and never got
called back.

They were very apologetic when I called up and said "I'd like to BUY
something from you. I'd like to GIVE YOU MONEY for your product, but
you don't seem to be willing to let me do so" and said they'd have a
salesman call me right back. Well...

Actually, I have used it a little. I ported GNU emacs to a Bell Tech
386 at MIT running their UNIX. The port went very smoothly, just
picked the System V release 3 and Intel 386 header files, and built
it. It's REAL System V with no csh or more or those sorts of
Berkeleseque things. I don't know whether they're available
separately as an option or not.
--
			- john romkey
UUCP: ...harvard!spdcc!kaos!romkey	ARPA: romkey@xx.lcs.mit.edu

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (03/31/88)

In article <201@xrtll.UUCP> martin@xrtll.UUCP (Martin Renters) writes:

>Has anyone had any experience with the Bell Technologies
>UNIX for the 80386?
>
>In particular, does it work reasonably well, or is
>Microport or XENIX better? Is it lacking anything that
>the other two supply?

Bell Technologies uses the same porting base as Microport. Essentially it is
precisely the same product as Microport. Except that BTI does very little
(if anything) with the standard device drivers; whereas uPort seems to have
used a totally different set of drivers for all of the standard devices.
BTI does provide very good device drivers for the hardward they supply such
as the ICC (smart serial) card or Cartridge Tape drive.

We have both. I currently am running BTI because I had some unidentified
problems that caused me to loose my hard disk while I was playing around
testing my own serial driver.

I simply couldn't make the "standard" async driver work properly, I wrote my
own.

I sort of prefer uPort especially the virtual consoles.

Conclusion,

BTI is an excellent product for the price; especially if you are
also getting their ICC card or other hardware. BTI is in the business of
selling hardware. Unix is the loss-leader to get you in the door.

uPort has more support for their software and standard AT type hardware but
expect to pay a lot more. uPort is in the business of selling Unix.

Finally, we've switched to Xenix. I'm not (currently) to unhappy with
either the BTI or uPort 386 product, but Rabbit software only provides SNA
RJE software for the Xenix 386 product and I must switch.  Too early to tell
how Xenix 386 will compare.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) (04/08/88)

Bell uses microport unix.
We've used the hardware but always with SCO xenix 386
Don't particularly like their multiport. Arnet is better.
Otherwise it's just another clone (Tatung)

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (04/14/88)

In article <7254@cdin-1.uucp> fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) writes:

>Bell uses microport unix.

This is not strictly true, the package that Bell sells is the pure
unadulterated port of SysV.3 originally done by Interactive. From there
both Interactive and Microport went on to add their own particular
"enhancements" (or bugs as the case may be :-}). For instance, you will
not find any multiscreens in the Bell package nor the [nt]roff text
processors.

>Don't particularly like their multiport. Arnet is better.

We use the Bell ICC (intelligent multiport) here under Xenix 2.2.1 and
other than being a little power hungry (which we fixed with a beefier
supply) we have had no problems. We run terminals and even binary
transfers between null-modemed systems at 38.4K without any characters
being dropped (eat your heart out Microport :-}). The ICC uses the
superior Zilog Serial Communications Controller chips instead of the
usual 8250 or even National's 16450 UART. I have heard good things
about Arnet as well but would have to have concrete examples of what
makes it "better".

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA