[comp.unix.xenix] Micro EMACS

cline@pnet01.cts.com (Ben Humphreys) (04/12/88)

For the last 2 weeks, I have been looking for a decent editor for Xenix.  It
has been an uphill battle.  I first downloaded the source for Micro EMACS,
tweaked all the defines and tried to compile.  Got a few warning messages and
then a message from the linker to the effect "DGROUP > 64k" or something.  So,
not knowing the Dev't sys that well, I just downloaded the source for Jove.
Jove requires one to tweak the Makefile.  Using my current word processor,
Lyrix, I tweaked the Makefile, wasting all Tab characters in the process
(which Make requires I believe).  Jove won't compile anyway.  I believe the
problems lie in jove.c and one other program.  Can someone mail me an
executable of Micro EMACS and possibly an explanation of how to get the thing
to compile (I think I have 3.8i).

Thanks in advance.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!cline
ARPA: crash!pnet01!cline@nosc.mil
INET: cline@pnet01.CTS.COM

sperling@acf8.UUCP (George Sperling) (04/13/88)

/* acf8:comp.unix.xenix / cline@pnet01.cts.com (Ben Humphreys) /  1:36 pm  Apr 11, 1988 */

This response is forwarded from karl@hipl.psych.nyu.edu, who is
responsible for the MSDOS and Xenix versions of Jove.

>not knowing the Dev't sys that well, I just downloaded the source for Jove.
>Jove requires one to tweak the Makefile.  Using my current word processor,
>Lyrix, I tweaked the Makefile, wasting all Tab characters in the process
>(which Make requires I believe).  Jove won't compile anyway.  I believe the
>problems lie in jove.c and one other program.  Can someone mail me an

The current version of Jove (4.9) officially supports Xenix. If you
get the distribution from hipl.psych.nyu.edu, or cs.rochester.edu, or
soon from comp.sources.unix, all you have to do to compile under Xenix
is:
- edit the makefile according to the instructions given in it
- in the file tune.h, comment out the following #defines
	BSD4_2
	BSD4_3
	LOAD_AV
	JOB_CONTROL
After these changes Jove should compile and run fine. I know the setup
could be made easier. It will happen in the next version.

Karl Gegenfurtner

arpa:	karl@hipl.psych.nyu.edu
uucp:	...{seismo|ihnp4|allegra}!cmcl2!xp!hipl!karl
usps:	Department of Psychology, NYU
	6 Washington Place, 8th fl.
	New York, NY 10003
at&t:

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (04/15/88)

In article <2798@crash.cts.com> cline@pnet01.cts.com (Ben Humphreys) writes:
>For the last 2 weeks, I have been looking for a decent editor for Xenix.  It
>has been an uphill battle.  I first downloaded the source for Micro EMACS,
>tweaked all the defines and tried to compile.  Got a few warning messages and
>then a message from the linker to the effect "DGROUP > 64k" or something.

Ben, you could probably eliminate this problem by putting '-Dt128' in your
compiler and linker command line. It causes any static data larger than
that number of bytes to be assigned another segment, also make sure you
compile using large model, then things should work.

>....  Can someone mail me an
>executable of Micro EMACS and possibly an explanation of how to get the thing
>to compile (I think I have 3.8i).

You can get the binary from turnkey quite quickly as we talk to crash, however
I suggest you check with Bill Blue first. If he is agreeable and drops me a
note I will tell him the relevant files and paths.

						Best of luck,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA