[comp.unix.xenix] Daylight Savings on SCO Xenix

jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) (04/05/88)

How do we reconfigure SCO Xenix so that it becomes aware of the new days
for Daylight Savings Time to start and end?

Jay Libove
Arpa:   Jay.Libove@andrew.cmu.edu	Bitnet: Jay.Libove@drycas.bitnet
UUCP:   ...!{uunet, ucbvax, harvard}!andrew.cmu.edu!Jay.Libove
UUCP:   ...!{pitt | bellcore} !darth!libove!libove

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (TCC Software Developer) (04/06/88)

In article <YWJzoRy00Xo7Q9THs3@andrew.cmu.edu> jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
>How do we reconfigure SCO Xenix so that it becomes aware of the new days
>for Daylight Savings Time to start and end?

After having seen some posting about the problem with Daylight Savings Time
being changed I had expected to have to fix things but when I came in the
other morning low and behold the system had the correct time. We are running
SCO 2.2.1 and I don't know if it somehow handles the time change different
than other systems or what. But at least we had nothing to change. Were other's
experience the same ???

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (04/06/88)

In article <YWJzoRy00Xo7Q9THs3@andrew.cmu.edu> jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
>How do we reconfigure SCO Xenix so that it becomes aware of the new days
>for Daylight Savings Time to start and end?

  Change the value in /etc/default/login, such as from EST5EDT to EDT4,
etc. You can change it back in the fall. I changed mine to EST5 and forgot
about DST. If I find it's a problem I might have to admit to DST after all.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

mwn@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Michael Nora) (04/07/88)

In article <165@turnkey.TCC.COM> jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:

>After having seen some posting about the problem with Daylight Savings Time
>being changed I had expected to have to fix things but when I came in the
>other morning low and behold the system had the correct time. We are running
>SCO 2.2.1 and I don't know if it somehow handles the time change different
>than other systems or what. But at least we had nothing to change. Were others
>experience the same ???

I've got SCO XENIX 2.2.1 also and it too handled the new daylight savings
time change correctly. I guess someone at SCO was aware of the new time change
standards and incorporated it into the latest release. . .
--
     Michael Nora       | Internet:  mwn@beach.cis.ufl.edu
 University of Florida  | UUCP:  ...ihnp4!codas!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!mwn

norstar@tnl.UUCP (Daniel Ray) (04/07/88)

In article <YWJzoRy00Xo7Q9THs3@andrew.cmu.edu>, jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
> How do we reconfigure SCO Xenix so that it becomes aware of the new days
> for Daylight Savings Time to start and end?

To get my machine to automatically shift to daylight savings time, I put the
following line in /etc/default/login :

TZ=EST5:00:00,EDT4:00:00,M4.1.0/2:00:00,M10.5.0/2:00:00

which exports the TZ variable to all login shells. Change the "EST/EDT" to your
time zone.

dan

steven@lakesys.UUCP (Steven Goodman) (04/07/88)

In article <165@turnkey.TCC.COM> jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
>In article <YWJzoRy00Xo7Q9THs3@andrew.cmu.edu> jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
>>How do we reconfigure SCO Xenix so that it becomes aware of the new days
>>for Daylight Savings Time to start and end?
>>
>After having seen some posting about the problem with Daylight Savings Time
>being changed I had expected to have to fix things but when I came in the
>other morning low and behold the system had the correct time. We are running
>SCO 2.2.1 and I don't know if it somehow handles the time change different
>than other systems or what. But at least we had nothing to change. Were other's
>experience the same ???

        Yes -  I went to check out the clocks in the house and the
        SCO clock was the only one with the correct time on it.
        This was a nice feeling - at work with MegaExpensive AT&T
        3B15's running I was forced to change all the clocks around
        campus.  Here at home with my  little  o' 386 box everything
        was  what  it should be.  Attention to detail?

        Good  work  SCO.

--
Steven M. Goodman
Lake Systems -  Milwaukee, Wisconsin

ericg@sco.COM (Mwa ha ha) (04/08/88)

>        Yes -  I went to check out the clocks in the house and the
>        SCO clock was the only one with the correct time on it.
>        This was a nice feeling - at work with MegaExpensive AT&T
>        3B15's running I was forced to change all the clocks around
>        campus.  Here at home with my  little  o' 386 box everything
>        was  what  it should be.  Attention to detail?
>
>        Good  work  SCO.
>--
>Steven M. Goodman
>Lake Systems -  Milwaukee, Wisconsin
>{ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!steven
>{rutgers,uunet}!marque!/

This little detail was implemented in 2.2, somewhat because customers
outside of North America really needed it.  (Have you ever looked at
some of the timezone schemes in use in India??)

So, while testing this feature, I got to make up fun fictitious time zones,
like:
		22 hours 7 minutes and 30 seconds behind GMT
		Daylight savings time starts 30 seconds from right now
		Daylight savings time ends 1 minute 30 seconds from now

I rather enjoyed watching my software clock jump around like that.
(It's the closest I've ever come to being in a TARDIS :*)  )

--
I do not speak for SCO, I barely have enough room for my own opinions.
"When there is no more room in the river, the trout shall walk the earth."

Eric Griswold |<help! i'm caught in the middle of a .signature>| ericg@sco.com

root@ozdaltx.UUCP (Scotty) (04/09/88)

I have several programs that use the struct *tm call.  I've
noticed that now that we are into DST, my program hour is 1
hour behind the system time.   Should I be checking for a
flag in the structure and bumping the time accordingly?  I'd
think the time routine/function would have compistaed for
this.

| Scotty                     |  Adapt - Enjoy - Survive    |
| ihnp4!killer!ozdaltx!sysop |  "Ad Venerem Securiorem"    |

wdr@cstowe.csoft.co.nz (Bill) (04/10/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.22 of Fri Jan 15 1988 on cstowe (usg-unix-v)

Hi there,

>How do we reconfigure SCO Xenix so that it becomes aware of the new days
>for Daylight Savings Time to start and end?

   I have been waiting around a bit to see if a good reply came about
this but is hasn't :-) so ...

   I hate to say this but RTFM - chortle chortle - I love saying that.
Anyway we are running SCO Xenix 2.2 Update A and there is a manual
page called TZ(M) which explains how they do timezones.  Basically
they encode the changes to and from daylight savings time in the TZ
environment variable. Apparently the ctime(S) call parses this
correctly. I won't reproduce the manual page here, but it does allow
for defining the start and end of summer time based on Julian dates, or a
day of a particular week, or a day of a month. It also allows for the
encoding of the daylight time differential and at what time the
change over takes place. There is a script /etc/tz that lets you do this
in a slightly more friendly manner.

   An example that they give follows:

  To fully encode a string for Eastern Standard/Daylight Time use this:

TZ=EST05:00:00EDT04:00:00;M4.1.0/02:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00
   \         /\         / \             / \              /
    Norml Time DayLght Tm  DayLghtStrts    DayLght Finishes

Hope this helps a bit. Once you have it set up right you should never
need to change it again.

See Y'all Later

<Stuff the Disclaimer.>

Bill D. Ryder                        ...!uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!pnamd!cstowe!wdr
Phone 063-65955 (IDD 64)         or  wdr@csoft.co.nz
Commercial Software N.Z. Ltd., PO Box 4030
Palmerston North,  Aotearoa (New Zealand if want to use snail mail)

fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) (04/11/88)

In article <564@lakesys.UUCP>, steven@lakesys.UUCP (Steven Goodman) writes:
> In article <165@turnkey.TCC.COM> jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
> >In article <YWJzoRy00Xo7Q9THs3@andrew.cmu.edu> jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
>
>         Yes -  I went to check out the clocks in the house and the
>         SCO clock was the only one with the correct time on it.
>         This was a nice feeling - at work with MegaExpensive AT&T
>         3B15's running I was forced to change all the clocks around
>         campus.  Here at home with my  little  o' 386 box everything
>         was  what  it should be.  Attention to detail?
>         Good  work  SCO.
> Steven M. Goodman

And here I thought none of our users (60+ 286/386 SCO xenix systems) ever
looked at their systems clock and that simply nobody bothered to call.
I was wondering what all the hullabaloo about resetting time was all about
out there in UNIX land.
Now realistically, they don't worry about the time anyway. The boxes are
never shut off and some have been running for about three years now. They
just use those suckers.
Fred Rump
Philly

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (04/11/88)

In article <564@lakesys.UUCP>, steven@lakesys.UUCP (Steven Goodman) writes:
>         This was a nice feeling - at work with MegaExpensive AT&T
>         3B15's running I was forced to change all the clocks around
>         campus.  Here at home with my  little  o' 386 box everything
>         was  what  it should be.  Attention to detail?
>         Good  work  SCO.

More like, i think, that you've updated (or purchased) your sco system more
recently than the 3bs -- although i must admit, that detail would be last on my
list of things to fix, so i'm a little suprised (and impressed) with this.
--
Derek Terveer	det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG	uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det

dave_compata_close@cup.portal.com (04/13/88)

It appears to be true that Xenix 2.2 uses the correct DST dates
for most of USA.  However, they don't change the system clock,
just the current time.  If you reboot, you are wrong!  Or so it
seems from my experience...

jbd@virgin.UUCP (J. Bruce Dawson) (04/14/88)

In article <4449@cup.portal.com> dave_compata_close@cup.portal.com writes:
>It appears to be true that Xenix 2.2 uses the correct DST dates
>for most of USA.  However, they don't change the system clock,
>just the current time.  If you reboot, you are wrong!  Or so it
>seems from my experience...

I've also noticed that cron appears confused and runs things at the 'old'
time. Had to reboot and reset the time to get things right - of course,
the correct time was maintained for the users because of the TZ variable.
--
J. Bruce Dawson			(603)880-1517 office (603)880-6629 home
33 Cortez Drive, Nashua, NH. 03062

dave@sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) (04/17/88)

In article <135@hawkmoon.MN.ORG>, det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes:
> In article <564@lakesys.UUCP>, steven@lakesys.UUCP (Steven Goodman) writes:
[ Steve talks about how SCO has gotten the latest daylight savings time fixes
in their code ]
> More like, i think, that you've updated (or purchased) your sco system more
> recently than the 3bs -- although i must admit, that detail would be last on my
> list of things to fix, so i'm a little suprised (and impressed) with this.

Having Daylight Savings Time work correctly is _not_ a little detail.  UUCP
alone could boost costs dramatically if run during prime hours, not to
mention all the hassles involved with things marked with the wrong timestamp,
etc.
--
David L. Smith
{sdcsvax!jack,ihnp4!jack, hp-sdd!crash, pyramid, uport}!sdeggo!dave