[comp.unix.xenix] 'Tmp file too large' in vi

jayen@mulga.oz (Jayen Vaghani) (04/11/88)

We're running SCO Xenix V/286 2.1.3 on an IBM AT compatible at my father's
business and for some reason 'vi' comes up with a 'Tmp File too large' error
when trying to edit data files of about 200K. The manual entry says it should be
able to handle 250K lines in a file (there are about 9000 in this file) so I
don't see the problem. The system has 1Mb of memory at the moment, and there
were no other users on the system at the time.

Anybody know if this is a feature or bug?? Can it be fixed or has vi been
built this way for the AT?

Thanks, Jayen

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (04/13/88)

The 250k lines limit applies to Vaxen, etc.  On 286 flavors, the
actual limit corresponds to about 200k worth of file.  You can
increase it by running the fixhdr program to reduce the stack
allocation - but I needen't mention what happens when
you run out of stack space.

Don't feel too cheated - the vi on one of 32 bit *nix systems
won't handle files much larger than 200kb.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746   CIS: 70007,2304    Genie: CAF

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (04/15/88)

In article <2677@mulga.oz> jayen@mulga.oz (Jayen Vaghani) writes:
>We're running SCO Xenix V/286 2.1.3 on an IBM AT compatible at my father's
>business and for some reason 'vi' comes up with a 'Tmp File too large' error
>when trying to edit data files of about 200K...
>.... The system has 1Mb of memory at the moment, and there
>were no other users on the system at the time.

For one thing you definitely need more memory. A paltry megabyte is hardly
enough to run in single user mode :-}. That may help vi a bit but I have
found that it does tend to complain as you saw on files much larger than
200K. The solution is to get your hands on MicroEmacs and use it on larger
files. This little wonder actually has handled files approaching 1Meg!! We
use it for editing uucp, mail, and news log files or things like the paths
output of pathalias.

						Good luck,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA

jayen@mulga.oz (Jayen Vaghani) (04/18/88)

Well, thanks to all those people who suggested various explanations and/or
solutions. If I weren't so sleepy on a Monday morning I would probably list
you all. Among the suggestions that didn't work or weren't tried were:

	- not enough space on /		(there was 5 Mb free)
	- run fixhdr to reduce stack size	(wasn't tried, yet)
	- it's a feature (??)

Finally Dr. T. Andrews at CompuData suggested adding the line 'ULIMIT=10240' to
/etc/default/login. I was doubtful (since ULIMIT is 4096 by default) but tried
it anyway. Well, vi still says 'Tmp file too large' but now continues to run
quite happily despite giving that message. Well, if you can explain it ....

Thanks for all the help , Jayen