[comp.unix.xenix] Configuring Xenix for 1200/2400 baud access, uucp log management

billb@amcad.UUCP (Bill Burton) (04/12/88)

Hello fellow netlanders.  I'm trying to get our SysV.2 machine to talk to
an SCO Xenix 2.2.1 system at 2400 baud.  However, the Xenix system
answers the phone at 1200 baud.  After connecting, I send a break to
change baud rates.  The modem on the Xenix system immediately hangs up.
This happens whether using cu or uucp.  The following is the L.sys entry on
the SysV machine:
/usr/lib/uucp/L.sys:
ksgbbs Any,1 ACU 2400 1234567 "" BREAK ogin:-BREAK-ogin: uucp

Here is the ttys file on the Xenix machine:
/etc/ttys:
1mtty01
1mtty02
1mtty03
1mtty04
1mtty05
1mtty06
1mtty07
1mtty08
1mtty09
1mtty10
1mtty11
1mtty12
06tty1a
06tty2a
12tty1A		<- modem port 1
12tty2A		<- modem port 2

Interestingly enough, when the Xenix system dials our SysV machine, and
sends a break to skip to 2400 baud the line drops.  I'm wondering if the
break is causing the problem.  I call our SysV machine regularly and
send a break from Kermit 2.30, Pibterm, and Procomm without a problem.
Xenix doesn't appear to be able to handle it in either direction.

Also, the Xenix machine is devoid of any scripts to clean up the uucp
log.  Does anyone have a scripts to do this?

Thanks,
Bill

	Name:		William D. Burton
	US Mail:	American Academy of Arts and Sciences
			136 Irving St., Cambridge, MA 02138-1996
	Audible:	1-617-576-5023
	UUCP:		...!husc6!amcad!billb
	ARPANET:	billb%amcad.uucp@husc6.harvard.edu

donegan@stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) (04/12/88)

In article <151@amcad.UUCP>, billb@amcad.UUCP (Bill Burton) writes:
> Hello fellow netlanders.  I'm trying to get our SysV.2 machine to talk to
> an SCO Xenix 2.2.1 system at 2400 baud.  However, the Xenix system

> ksgbbs Any,1 ACU 2400 1234567 "" BREAK ogin:-BREAK-ogin: uucp
I use the followin entry on my xenix system to talk to other xenix systems,
perhaps this will help:
sysname Any,2 ACU 2400 1234567 ogin:-@-ogin:-@-ogin: uucp

> 12tty1A		<- modem port 1
> 12tty2A		<- modem port 2
I have modified the /etc/gettydefs file on my system to start the cycle at
2400, then 1200, then 300 and back to 2400. Modify entry 3 to cycle 3-2-1
in yours and you shouldn't have any problem (a 'feature'/bug of SCO xenix
is that a framing error will be interpreted like a break, so sending any
character at the wrong baudrate will cause the system to cycle to the next
baudrate)

> Also, the Xenix machine is devoid of any scripts to clean up the uucp
> log.  Does anyone have a scripts to do this?

I use my own cleanup script, but the xenix command uuclean does a fair job.

--
Steven P. Donegan
Sr. Telecommunications Analyst

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (04/13/88)

I think the problem you are seeing is caused by initialization noise as
the connect is made. Two suggestions on fixing it:

 A) don't send the initial break, use a return instead, like:
	"" "" gin:--gin:-BREAK-gin:--gin:
    I have no idea why this works better.

 B) unless there is a political reason for doing things low to high,
change the speeds to cycle from highest to lowest, repeating the first
one. This takes care of connect noise. I have been running a BBS for
several years, and I use 2400-2400-1200-300 without problems. It will
require minor changes in others login scripts if they're still using
1200.

good luck
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

john@jclyde.UUCP (John B. Meaders Jr.) (04/14/88)

In article <151@amcad.UUCP> billb@amcad.UUCP (Bill Burton) writes:
>Here is the ttys file on the Xenix machine:
>/etc/ttys:
>12tty1A		<- modem port 1
>12tty2A		<- modem port 2
  ^
You need to make sure this 2 in /etc/gettydefs is pointed to the 2400 baud
sequence.  I use 3 on my system here (2400 baud) and then cycle to 1200 and
300 and back to 2400 baud.  Hope this helps.
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752
ATT:  Voice:  +1 (512) 451-5038  Data:  +1 (512) 371-0550

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (04/15/88)

In article <10387@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@kbsvax.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>I think the problem you are seeing is caused by initialization noise as
>the connect is made.

No, the problem is not noise, the problem is as a couple of posters have
suggested, without knowing why, the login script.

>	"" "" gin:--gin:-BREAK-gin:--gin:
>    I have no idea why this works better.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The original posters login script started like this:
	"" BREAK ogin:.......
The reason this causes problems is that it says "expect nothing, send a
break". But this never gives time for getty to get its login prompt out the
port, it then gets "confused" and drops the line. As the original poster
also noticed it happened in both directions, nobody's getty likes to be
interrupted before its had its say :-} :-}. Your modified script, Bill,
has the same effect as saying: ogin:-\b-ogin:.....It gives the getty the
time to put out a prompt and if it's gibberish it sends a break. The
whole question of what direction to cycle the baud rates depends on
convenience for a particular system (i.e., do you have more 2400 or
1200 connections).

					Hope this helps explain,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA

mdc@mcp.entity.com (Marty Connor) (04/18/88)

In article <10387@steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>  B) unless there is a political reason for doing things low to high,
> change the speeds to cycle from highest to lowest, repeating the first
> one. This takes care of connect noise. I have been running a BBS for
> several years, and I use 2400-2400-1200-300 without problems. It will
> require minor changes in others login scripts if they're still using
> 1200.

"We've got to stop meeting like this."

I was trying to call up random at 1200 baud on its 2400 baud modems
today and was having a lot of trouble getting the autobauding to work
right.  After reading your message it occured to me that the
/etc/gettydefs file was set up to do:  2400-300-1200, so if a person
dialed in at 1200 he or she had to hit break twice (and this didn't
work right 100% of the time either!).  so I made the relevant
gettydefs lines look like:

    #
    # 3-2-1: 2400 - 1200 - 300 baud cycle	(dialin modems)
    #

    1 # B300  HUPCL OPOST CR1 NL1 #
	    B300 CS8 SANE HUPCL TAB3 IXANY #\r\n@!login: # 3

    2 # B1200 HUPCL OPOST CR1 ECHOE NL1 #
	    B1200 CS8 SANE HUPCL TAB3 ECHOE IXANY #\r\n@!login: # 1

    3 # B2400  HUPCL OPOST CR1 ECHOE NL1 #
	    B2400 CS8 SANE HUPCL TAB3 ECHOE IXANY #\r\n@!login: # 2

so that when you call in, you get a getty listening at 2400 baud, and
then 1200, and then 300.  Makes a little more sense.  If you have
people complaining that reaching your system at 1200 baud is a pain,
you might try this little tweak to your gettydefs file.  Double your
money back guarantee. ahem.  Anyway, random.entity.com and
mcp.entity.com seem to like it...

--
----------------
Marty Connor

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (04/19/88)

In article <179@turnkey.TCC.COM> jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
[ lots of useful info ]

| time to put out a prompt and if it's gibberish it sends a break. The
| whole question of what direction to cycle the baud rates depends on
| convenience for a particular system (i.e., do you have more 2400 or
| 1200 connections).

Well... not entirely. If you have a line answer at 1200, it will take a
break to get it to 2400 (or higher). However, if the line is at a higher
speed, say answers at 2400 and you want 1200, a RETURN will generate a
framing error, which is how BREAK is detected, and cause the speed to
shift.

Because (a) this is more intuitive for humans, and (b) some old version
of SCO don't seem to send real breaks, I went with high speed first on
all of the systems I operate.

Like all hardware characteristc, this may vary, and you may get an
upshift on RETURN just fine.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)