[comp.unix.xenix] smail under Xenix: help?

tyager@mkunix.DEC.COM (Tom Yager) (04/25/88)

Hello again,

I'm having trouble with 'smail' under SCO Xenix '386. I compiled, installed
and have been using it for a few days. The problem is that it will not do
what I installed it to do, that is, resolve domain-style addresses and
route them to the proper uucp-accessible host.

Here's the question: could some kind soul now running a configuration similar
answer to the following scenario:

Any uucp-style address is to be left alone, assuming that a direct connection
exists from the local host. Any domain ('@') style addresses should be routed
to a single "smart" host, let's call it "fred." I already have "smart-host"
entries in both /usr/lib/uucp/paths and /usr/lib/mail/saliases. When I invoke
smail in debug mode and pass a domain address to it ("tyager@foobar.foo.org")
which is represented in the paths file as ".foo.org    fred!%s     0", it
moans and says 'No local user named ""' and returns the message to sender.

As I understood the documentation, it appeared that any domain represented in
the paths file would be translated as indicated. I also thought that any
address which could not be resolved would be shipped off to the host in
the "smart-host" entry.

If it winds up behaving as advertised (and is failing to do so now due to my
own ignorance), it seems a useful and wonderous thing. I lack the time to
dive into this code myself and find out where the address resolution is
getting messed up.

Replies (if any) via email please. As always, thanks to all in advance.
(ty)

--
Tom Yager, Digital Ultrix Support ("It MUST be the hardware!")
U.S. Mail: DEC, 14 Walkup Drive YWO/C9, Westborough, MA 01581

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (04/30/88)

In article <172@mkunix.DEC.COM> tyager@mkunix.DEC.COM (Tom Yager) writes:

| I'm having trouble with 'smail' under SCO Xenix '386. I compiled, installed
| and have been using it for a few days. The problem is that it will not do
| what I installed it to do, that is, resolve domain-style addresses and
| route them to the proper uucp-accessible host.

  smart-host doesn't work on my system, either, although I have the full
set of domains in my maps and rarely get a miss.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) (04/30/88)

In article <10656@steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> In article <172@mkunix.DEC.COM> tyager@mkunix.DEC.COM (Tom Yager) writes:
> | I'm having trouble with 'smail' under SCO Xenix '386. I compiled, installed
> | and have been using it for a few days. The problem is that it will not do
> | what I installed it to do, that is, resolve domain-style addresses and
> | route them to the proper uucp-accessible host.
>   smart-host doesn't work on my system, either, although I have the full
> set of domains in my maps and rarely get a miss.

I'm not experiencing any troubles at all with smart-host, although I am also
using chip@ateng's patched for Xenix.

bob

--
Bob Leffler - EDS, GM Truck & Bus Account (313)456-5375
bob@rel.eds.com or {uunet!edsews, rutgers, umix}!rel!bob

john@jetson.UUCP (John Owens) (05/03/88)

Article <19@jetson.UUCP> in comp.sources.bugs contains a fix for the
smart-host problem.

--
John Owens		SMART HOUSE Development Venture
john@jetson.UUCP	(old uucp) uunet!jetson!john

jbd@virgin.UUCP (J. Bruce Dawson) (05/06/88)

In article <10656@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <172@mkunix.DEC.COM> tyager@mkunix.DEC.COM (Tom Yager) writes:
>
>| I'm having trouble with 'smail' under SCO Xenix '386. I compiled, installed
>| and have been using it for a few days. The problem is that it will not do
>| what I installed it to do, that is, resolve domain-style addresses and
>| route them to the proper uucp-accessible host.
>
>  smart-host doesn't work on my system, either, although I have the full

I have SCO 2.2.something running on a 286, and, although it looks a LOT like
UCB's mailx, it doesn't support the set {sendmail delivermail} options of
mailx. It would appear that SCO saw fit to removed this (rather necessary)
feature. Why? I don't know - unless there was a conflict with the micnet
software.

At any rate, it would "shor be nice" if SCO would put it in, or at least
some functional equivalent.

BTW: If you have a mailx running on SCO, then you would put:

	set sendmail=/usr/bin/smail

in your .mailrc file to get domain name translations. At least, I think this
would work - I don't have the real mailx on my SCO system!
--
J. Bruce Dawson			(603)880-1517 office (603)880-6629 home
33 Cortez Drive, Nashua, NH. 03062

john@jclyde.UUCP (John B. Meaders Jr.) (05/09/88)

In article <1698@virgin.UUCP> jbd@virgin.UUCP (Bruce Dawson) writes:
>UCB's mailx, it doesn't support the set {sendmail delivermail} options of

Try this:
		set execmail

It works on my system (SCO Rel 2.1.3, but I'm sure it works on later ones,
since execmail is the mail delivery agent that SCO supplies).
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752
ATT:  Voice:  +1 (512) 451-5038  Data:  +1 (512) 371-0550

john@jetson.UUCP (John Owens) (05/10/88)

True, SCO's mail doesn't support set sendmail=, which makes it
useless for smail sites.  Since it didn't do a lot of other things
I needed as well, like displaying the From: address in the headers,
I've abandoned it in favor of mush (from comp.sources.unix).
Almost any of the other p.d. user agents would work as well, since they
typically handle RFC822 better than mailx, and can be configured to use
/bin/smail to deliver all mail.  (smail should use /usr/lib/mail/execmail.)

I've done that with mush, and recommend it.