[comp.unix.xenix] CD-ROMs for Xenix

wrp@biochsn.acc.virginia.edu (William R. Pearson) (05/23/88)

	Now that CD-ROM drives have broken $700., I would like to read
use one of these devices under Xenix.  Has anyone done this? Are drivers
available (commercial or academic)?

Bill Pearson

romwa@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Dornfeld) (05/23/88)

In article <406@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:

>	Now that CD-ROM drives have broken $700., I would like to read
>use one of these devices under Xenix.  Has anyone done this? Are drivers
>available (commercial or academic)?
>
>Bill Pearson

At last week's Unix 88/etc Show in Toronto I saw what may be
the first CD-ROM for 386 Unix.  Toshiba has a small footprint
386 with 100Mb disk ready to be introduced sometime this
summer here in Canada.  It was running on an Ethernet with
their portable 386, another desktop, and there on the network
was a CD-ROM machine.  It is implemented as a standard
character device in Unix (block drivers would be too slow).  I
thought putting it on the network was the right thing to do.

I don't know any prices or exact release dates.

Mark T. Dornfeld
Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queens Park
Toronto, Ontario, CANADA