[comp.unix.xenix] Mush 6.2 under SCO Xenix

root@jclyde.UUCP (The Super User) (05/27/88)

I recently applied the 6.2 diffs to my mush distribution.  Now when I start
up (under shell mode) I get a message saying that it can't lock the mail
file.  When I try to start up under curses mode I get a segmentation violation
and am asked nicely if I want a core dump.  Anybody else having these troubles?

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (05/28/88)

In article <706@jclyde.UUCP> root@jclyde.UUCP (The Super User) writes:
>I recently applied the 6.2 diffs to my mush distribution.  Now when I start
>up (under shell mode) I get a message saying that it can't lock the mail
>file.  When I try to start up under curses mode I get a segmentation violation
>and am asked nicely if I want a core dump.  Anybody else having these troubles?

I don't know this for sure, but the problem _could_ be in the function
lock_file((char *)filename, (int)fd).  If it is, the problem is probably
due to the fact that you don't want to have the routine locking() called.

If you use lockf (which is more likely), then you need to manually edit
your msgs.c file so that the #ifdef's don't have you using locking() and
you should typecast the last argument in lockf to (long).
thus, line 20 of msgs.c:

	if (Access(filename, W_OK) || lockf(fd, F_TLOCK, 0L)) /* system-v */

Followup to this group with success levels.  If it doesn't work, I would
need more information, but those familiar with xenix might be of far more
helpful than I could be on my own.  Obviously, I'm interested in what's
going on, so I'll happily involve myself with any conversation going on.

You also might mail to mush-user@garp.mit.edu since there are quite a few
xenix users there (send requests to join to mush-users-request@garp.mit.edu
NOT the group --thanx).

Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

how@milhow1.UUCP (Mike Howard) (05/29/88)

In article <3679@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Dan Heller) writes:
>In article <706@jclyde.UUCP> root@jclyde.UUCP (The Super User) writes:
>>up (under shell mode) I get a message saying that it can't lock the mail
>>file.  When I try to start up under curses mode I get a segmentation violation
>>and am asked nicely if I want a core dump.  Anybody else having these troubles?
>

>	if (Access(filename, W_OK) || lockf(fd, F_TLOCK, 0L)) /* system-v */
                                                     ^^
Make it (char *)0 so that you get the right thing (not that it matters
all that much) for all 286 code models.  I had to do this to make mush6.2
play.

It also core dumped on a segment violation, so I chucked it.
--
Mike Howard
uunet!milhow1!how