[comp.unix.xenix] RN for SCO Xenix ..... Help!

root@kjvw.UUCP (Super user) (06/02/88)

I am running SCO Xenix 2.1.4 development system on a Wyse AT.  I have gotten
readnews and postnews to work, but I am having a *real hard time with the
"rn" program.  Nobody seems to be able to help me out too much locally, so
my quest goes to net-land.  Any "hack n' run" sources?.

Thanks

Kevin VandeWettering

root@uisc1.UUCP (Super user) (06/04/88)

In article <241@kjvw.UUCP>, root@kjvw.UUCP writes:
> I am running SCO Xenix 2.1.4 development system on a Wyse AT.  I have gotten
> readnews and postnews to work, but I am having a *real hard time with the
> "rn" program.

First, I'd like to congratulate you on your persistence and patience. My
patience ran out somewhat earlier.

Second, SCO has a compiled version of complete News 2.11 available free of
charge. All you have to do is call their support number and ask, and they
will send it to you, documentation and all. It includes postnews, sendnews,
rn, vnews, and everything else.

Their support number is 800-626-4381.

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (06/04/88)

In article <241@kjvw.UUCP> root@kjvw.UUCP (Super user) writes:
>I am running SCO Xenix 2.1.4 development system on a Wyse AT.  I have gotten
>readnews and postnews to work, but I am having a *real hard time with the
>"rn" program.  Nobody seems to be able to help me out too much locally, so
>my quest goes to net-land.  Any "hack n' run" sources?.

rn is available on turnkey for anonymous uucp. This archive has only a
couple of changes and will compile and run just fine under the 2.2 development
system. I suspect you would have no major problems using 2.1.4. It may only
require mixing the regular and large compiler passes on certain modules. If
you are interested the file is /usr/spool/uucppublic/rn.tar.Z, the following
is an L.sys entry for turnkey. If any of you out there are interested in what
else is available on the system request the file /usr/spool/uucppublic/files.
Anonymous logins can only access the public directory.

	turnkey Any ACU 2400 17146627450 "" \r ogin:-\b-ogin: nuucp

The 1200 baud login would look the same as the above.

						Best of luck,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (06/06/88)

In article <52@uisc1.UUCP> root@uisc1.UUCP (Super user) writes:
>In article <241@kjvw.UUCP>, root@kjvw.UUCP writes:
>> I am running SCO Xenix 2.1.4 development system on a Wyse AT.  I have gotten
>> readnews and postnews to work, but I am having a *real hard time with the
>> "rn" program.
>First, I'd like to congratulate you on your persistence and patience. My
>patience ran out somewhat earlier.

USENET does run on XENIX 286.  Many folks are doing so, including me.
Looking at the various solutions available, it seems that the biggest
hassle was getting the file locking stuff to work.  Once up, it runs
pretty cleanly.  Well...as clean as B2.11 can run :-)  (Has anybody
tried out the C-news expire under SCO?)

Rn, on the other hand, was a piece of cake.  It takes very little hacking
to get going, and most of it is in Configure to get it to know strange
things like /lib/Llibc.a and -LARGE and -Ml.   Larry Wall is to be
commended on his attention to portability.  (Well...except for the way
perl.y makes the XENIX yacc barf.)  I ran the first version of "rn" years
ago under EUNICE with little pain; an amazing accomplishment.  Compared
to that, XENIX is no sweat.

(By the way, I am not trying to belittle the original poster's problems
bringing up rn.  If you don't have a working Configure, then you are
dead.  But once that's resolved, there is very little else.)

>Second, SCO has a compiled version of complete News 2.11 available free of
>charge.

I would strongly discourage anybody from doing this.  Any one of hundreds
of comp.unix.xenix folks can point you to working sources.   I think I
recall messages complaining about problems with the binary-only distribution,
but they could very well be resolved by now.  I'm sure SCO has good
intentions in providing this service, but for better or worse you really
do want the sources if you are administering news.
--
Chip Rosenthal /// chip@vector.UUCP /// Dallas Semiconductor /// 214-450-0400
{uunet!warble,sun!texsun!rpp386,killer}!vector!chip