[comp.unix.xenix] Questions without answers

root@uisc1.UUCP (Super user) (06/04/88)

I would like to air one gripe that has been steadily building as I have
been reading various posts on the question/advice oriented newsgroups.
I have been running a public-access bbs under MSDOS for a large number
of years now (for bbs standards large anyway), and it's also something
I have been fighting on there.

The trend is to ask a question, and then to finish it by saying "Please
reply to E-mail/private mail as I am too busy to keep up with this
conference/newsgroup."

What's the result? Well, the result is a newsgroup in which you have lots
and lots of questions, and no answers. The result is also that people
stop reading the newsgroup, as nobody is really terribly interested in
the questions. It's the answers and the advice people are reading it for.

I find that often I have the answers to questions I read, but when I
see the above request for private replies, I don't bother to reply to
the question, private or public. Public because the person who asked the
question already said he wouldn't be reading it, and private because I
don't want to encourge such rather selfish attitudes.

Think about it, ok? If you really want the question answered, the least
you could do is to take the time to read the answer. Besides, if you
read the newsgroup regularly, maybe you might learn something :-).

Comments and Feedback encouraged, publicly to this newsgroup.

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (06/05/88)

>The trend is to ask a question, and then to finish it by saying "Please
>reply to E-mail/private mail

In my opinion, this doesn't happen OFTEN enough.

The correct "netiquette" for this situation is the for question asker
to say:  "please MAIL replies, I will summarize".  That way, there is
only ONE answer, instead of 10 duplicate answers (which in my opinion
are MUCH more boring than the questions).

USENET is not a BBS system.  There is as much as a week's delay from
one end to the other.  Try to remember that your answer may already be
old news.  If you MUST post a response, one good technique is to mark
the question as unread, wait a day or so, then come back to it.  If you
don't see any replies, you might just have something to contribute!

I almost ALWAYS mail rather than post an answer.  I feel that if
no one else answers the question publicly, and my answer is the best
of those mailed, then the questioner will forward my response to the
newsgroup.  About the only time I post is when I must correct a
WRONG answer that was posted!  Unfortuntely, it is the people who
really don't know the answer who are most likely to POST a response!

If you see someone ask a question that you would like an answer to,
simply send HIM mail, requesting that the answer be posted, or mailed to
you directly.

>Comments and Feedback encouraged, publicly to this newsgroup.

Because of this, my response is posted.  Otherwise, I would have
MAILED it.

--
     john nelson

UUCP:	{decvax,mit-eddie}!genrad!teddy!jpn
smail:	jpn@genrad.com

ben@idsnh.UUCP (Ben Smith) (06/05/88)

Thankyou.  I read for information more than I write.  If there are
only questions, I *DO* get bored and unsubscribe the group.
--
Integrated Decision Systems, Inc.    | Benjamin Smith - East Coast Tech. Office
The fitting solution in professional | Peterborough, NH

ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) (06/05/88)

In article <50@uisc1.UUCP> root@uisc1.UUCP (Super user) writes:

>The trend is to ask a question, and then to finish it by saying "Please
>reply to E-mail/private mail as I am too busy to keep up with this
>conference/newsgroup."
>
>What's the result? Well, the result is a newsgroup in which you have lots
>and lots of questions, and no answers. The result is also that people
>stop reading the newsgroup, as nobody is really terribly interested in
>the questions. It's the answers and the advice people are reading it for.

It often depends on the nature of the question.  I had a question for
comp.sys.amiga, regarding why a certain example program wouldn't work.
I asked for EMAIL responses because I figured that the problem was something
simple that I just didn't know about.  I also stated that if there were
enough requests, I would sumarize the information I received to the network.

The nice thing about doing it this way is that you don't flood the newsgroup
with a dozen identical responses to a simple question.  If it turns out that
it's not an obvious solution/problem, then the replier can opt to both post
it *and* mail a response.

>Comments and Feedback encouraged, publicly to this newsgroup.

Ordinarily I would have mailed this reply to you, but you asked for it
publicly so here it is.

--
...!hadron\   "Who?... Me?... WHAT opinions?!?" | Edwin Wiles
  ...!sundc\   Schedule: (n.) An ever changing	| NetExpress Comm., Inc.

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (06/06/88)

In article <50@uisc1.UUCP>, root@uisc1.UUCP (Super user) writes:
> I would like to air one gripe that has been steadily building [...]
>
> The trend is to ask a question, and then to finish it by saying "Please
> reply to E-mail/private mail as I am too busy to keep up with this
> conference/newsgroup."
>
> I find that often I have the answers to questions I read, but when I
> see the above request for private replies, I don't bother to reply to
> the question, private or public.

I never reply either, for exactly the same reasons: if the questioner is
too damn busy to read the newsgroup and watch for replies, then I am
damn well too busy to bother with the question.

I can find no excuse for this behavior, so I don't excuse it.

If the article is a request for software, and I happen to have it handy,
then I will mail it off to them  -- but that's not the point here.  The
point of the net is information exchange, not private collection.

(Can you say self-righteous?  ... Guilty as charged.)

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (06/06/88)

"Super user" objects to people who ask for e-mail responses because they
don't read the group, and John Nelson objects to something different.

When the question is likely to generate some standard facts repeatedly,
I agree with John.  (I've taken to just saying I'll summarize any e-mail
I get, since I think many/most people will post or e-mail as they choose
anyway).  "Super"'s point was that those who say "send me the answer because
it's not worth my time to read this group" are being arrogant and rude (I
guess that's redundant, but I've known people who wouldn't think so :-).
I agree with this also.

They are two different situations, but both are concerned with factual
replies...even when the facts are wrong.  I think postings are a more
reasonable response when they involve matters of opinion -- then the whole
thread has more the character of a _discussion_, and I think it's appropriate
to throw it out in front of everyone (or no-one, occasionally).  This topic
is a case in point.  (BTW, after noticing the newsgroups line, I'm trying to
direct followups to comp.misc.  Hope I got the header name correct.)
--
-bob,mon
"In this position, the skier is flying in a complete stall..."

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (06/07/88)

You guys are missing the whole point.  You are SUPPOSED TO ANSWER WITH
E-MAIL.  Only in rare, very rare cases is it appropriate to post an
answer to a query.

Even if the person says,
	"Please post your response to the net"
You are supposed to answer with E-mail.  The poster made a mistake and
was supposed to request answers by E-mail.

Otherwise when somebody asks a moderatedly easy question, we get 20

Even if you can't E-mail the guy, you should still not post, unless
you are very sure that yours is going to be the only answer, because
the question is technical and in your field of expertise.  If it's
a regular question and your mail doesn't make it, somebody else's will.

If a person asks a question, it is their duty to collect the duplicate
answers, and post the best one back.  (Not a collection of the answers,
but a summary.)

If you want to encourage that, when you see a question you would like
to hear the answer to, send mail to the asker requesting that he or
she send the answer back to you, or post it.

If people follow these guidelines, we get a much cleaner net.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

woods@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) (06/07/88)

> From: root@uisc1.UUCP (Super user)
> Date: 4 Jun 88 09:44:47 GMT
>
> I would like to air one gripe that has been steadily building as I have
> been reading various posts on the question/advice oriented newsgroups.
> I have been running a public-access bbs under MSDOS for a large number
> of years now (for bbs standards large anyway), and it's also something
> I have been fighting on there.
>
> The trend is to ask a question, and then to finish it by saying "Please
> reply to E-mail/private mail as I am too busy to keep up with this
> conference/newsgroup."

The obvious comment at this point is:  What's the problem with that, as
long as the originator summarizes and posts the replies?  This often the
case on the net, though it definitely could be done more often.  I doubt
most micro-oriented BBS's enjoy the same frequency of summaries because
of the inexperience of the vast majority of BBS users.  The article by
Harry Henderson in the Waite Group collection "Unix Papers" summarizes
the proper etiquette (page 74: "Reply by Mail or Article?").  Though the
entire section is quite applicable, the last two sentences sum it up best:

	"... when in doubt, use email.  Many articles will remind
	readers to use E-mail for replies; such requests should be
	honored."

If you are certain others will be interested in your reply, and you
doubt it will be summarized, you are free to both mail and post it.

> ... It's the answers and the advice people are reading it for.

And that's the beauty of the Net.  It is dynamic, and recurrences of
questions are not frowned upon, as long as they are not too frequent.
Even if a question does pop up too often, the asker(s) will usually be
pointed in the right direction, though often none too politely.

> ...if you read the newsgroup regularly, maybe you might learn something :-).

You can't learn much from reading the same questions over and over! ;-)

> Comments and Feedback encouraged, publicly to this newsgroup.

"these newsgroups"?  Though it may be relevant to all general discussion
groups, I'm not sure this discussion belongs in them all.

I'm no expert in Net Etiquette, but I have been bothered by this
problem before.  I only wish the everyone could be more considerate.
--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{cpcc, ontmoh, ontmoh!cpcc, tmsoft!cpcc}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
--

mls@whutt.UUCP (SIEMON) (06/08/88)

In article <1718@looking.UUCP>, brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:

> You are supposed to answer with E-mail.  The poster made a mistake and
> was supposed to request answers by E-mail.
>
> Otherwise when somebody asks a moderatedly easy question, we get 20

More to the point (I think Brad is being diplomatic), when somebody asks
a moderately hard question (that LOOKS easy) we get 20 wrong responses
posted to the net, sowing great confusion.  Summaries are the way to go!
(Admittedly, the phrasing "email me, BECAUSE I don't have time to read
this group" is rather stupid.)
--
Michael L. Siemon
contracted to AT&T Bell Laboratories

greim@sbsvax.UUCP (Michael Greim) (06/10/88)

In article <50@uisc1.UUCP>, root@uisc1.UUCP (Super user) writes:
> The trend is to ask a question, and then to finish it by saying "Please
> reply to E-mail/private mail as I am too busy to keep up with this
> conference/newsgroup."
>
> What's the result? Well, the result is a newsgroup in which you have lots
> and lots of questions, and no answers. The result is also that people
> stop reading the newsgroup, as nobody is really terribly interested in
> the questions. It's the answers and the advice people are reading it for.
I agree.

> I find that often I have the answers to questions I read, but when I
> see the above request for private replies, I don't bother to reply to
> the question, private or public. Public because the person who asked the
> question already said he wouldn't be reading it, and private because I
> don't want to encourge such rather selfish attitudes.
Well, sometimes the answers to questions are so obvious that I rather
e-mail them, so that the person who asked the question will not be
embarrased too much. (Just yesterday I did the opposite and answered such
a question in public. :-)

The person who asked the question can do something : he can summarize
the replies he got and post them to the net. I've seen this done several
times, but I can also remember some cases where this was not done.
(Some months ago I put a question to the net myself and did not summarize
the replies. I thought nobody would be interested as it was a question
on copyright of a certain piece of software, viz. CURSES. Maybe I should
repent ??? :-)
If the question was something like "what do you do to ..." or
"How can you ..." I'd certainly make a summary.

	Michael

| UUCP:  ...!uunet!unido!sbsvax!greim   | Michael T. Greim                     |
|        or greim@sbsvax.UUCP           | Universitaet des Saarlandes          |
| CSNET: greim%sbsvax.uucp@Germany.CSnet| FB 10 - Informatik (Dept. of CS)     |
| ARPA:  greim%sbsvax.uucp@uunet.UU.NET | Bau 36, Im Stadtwald 15              |
| Phone: +49 681 302 2434               | D-6600 Saarbruecken 11, West Germany |
| # include <disclaimers/std.h>                                                |