[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix shared/video memory

samperi@marob.MASA.COM (Dominick Samperi) (06/14/88)

How does one attach video memory (say, 0xB8000...) to the address
space of a process via the shared memory IPC facilities (the AT&T-
style ones) in the SCO Xenix environment? This can be done under
Microport UNIX by using shmcreate.
--
Dominick Samperi, NYC
    samperi@acf8.NYU.EDU	samperi@marob.MASA.COM

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (06/15/88)

In article <307@marob.MASA.COM> samperi@marob.MASA.COM (Dominick Samperi) writes:
>How does one attach video memory (say, 0xB8000...) to the address
>space of a process via the shared memory IPC facilities (the AT&T-
>style ones) in the SCO Xenix environment? This can be done under
>Microport UNIX by using shmcreate.

  I don't think it can be done with shm.  There is a standard ioctl to
do it, if you don't insist on shm.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (06/15/88)

In article <307@marob.MASA.COM> samperi@marob.MASA.COM (Dominick Samperi) writes:
>How does one attach video memory (say, 0xB8000...) to the address
>space of a process via the shared memory IPC facilities (the AT&T-
>style ones) in the SCO Xenix environment?

under the version of SCO Xenix running here, you open the /dev/<video board>
device and throw some IOCTL's at it.  what you get back seems to work
Just Fine(tm) as an address.

- john.
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chemistry Quote ---------
River Parishes Programming       |  "If you aren't part of the solution,