[comp.unix.xenix] Bell Technologies UNIX SVR3

bareta@ihuxv.ATT.COM (Benyukhis) (05/27/88)

Hello,

Can anyone familiar with Bell Technologies UNIX SVR3 provide me with
some information on the product i.e.
(A) Performance benchmarks
(B) Side by side comparison with SCO XENIX and Microport System V/AT

I am running on PC's Limited 286 machine.

kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Ken Keirnan) (05/27/88)

In article <2686@ihuxv.ATT.COM> bareta@ihuxv.ATT.COM (Benyukhis) writes:
>Hello,
>
>Can anyone familiar with Bell Technologies UNIX SVR3 provide me with
>some information on the product i.e.
[lines deleted]
>I am running on PC's Limited 286 machine.

Sorry, but Bell Technologies doesn't sell SVR3 for 286 machines.  The
port they sell is vanilla Intel/Interactive Systems version for the 386
boxes (with Bell Tech drivers).
--

Ken Keirnan - Pacific Bell - {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!kjk
  San Ramon, California	                    kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

nusip@maccs.UUCP (Mike Borza) (05/28/88)

In article <2686@ihuxv.ATT.COM> bareta@ihuxv.ATT.COM (Benyukhis) writes:
>Can anyone familiar with Bell Technologies UNIX SVR3 provide me with
>some information on the product i.e.
>I am running on PC's Limited 286 machine.

Unless things have changed very recently, BT's SVR3 only runs on 386
machines, so you're stuck with either SVR2 (uPort's SV/AT) or Xenix
286.  I could be wrong about this (probably!), but I doubt you'll see
a SVR3 port to 286 machines.  The overhead to support demand paging
on 286's would destroy performance.

--mike borza  <nusip@maccs.UUCP or EE784@SSCVax.McMaster.CA>

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (06/01/88)

In article <1209@maccs.UUCP> nusip@maccs.UUCP (Mike Borza) writes:
|In article <2686@ihuxv.ATT.COM> bareta@ihuxv.ATT.COM (Benyukhis) writes:
|>Can anyone familiar with Bell Technologies UNIX SVR3 provide me with
|>some information on the product i.e.
|>I am running on PC's Limited 286 machine.
|
|Unless things have changed very recently, BT's SVR3 only runs on 386
|machines, so you're stuck with either SVR2 (uPort's SV/AT) or Xenix
|286.  I could be wrong about this (probably!), but I doubt you'll see
|a SVR3 port to 286 machines.  The overhead to support demand paging
|on 286's would destroy performance.

From what I've heard, full SVR3 compliance more or less requires that
the CPU supports atomic 32 bit operations.  Eg: you can update a long
without having interrupts kill you in the middle.  Eg: resource locking
inside the kernel.  Since a 286 can't (without protecting EVERYTHING
with disabled interrupts), you'll never see SVR3 on a 286.
--
Chris Lewis, Spectrix Microsystems Inc,
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo, lsuc, yunexus}!spectrix!clewis

jeffh@weycord.WEYCO.COM (06/16/88)

I'd like to see:

   1) Performance benchmarks with Xenix (SCO), UNIX (ATT). and the
      other company's U*IX.

   2) Bug reports and responses. I've had a bad experience with ATT
      just trying to get marketing information.

   3) Plans to support OSF..

DISCLAIMER:
    It's a fact- I think??

Jeff ( Spectra Software ) Harrell