[comp.unix.xenix] Gripe about Q w/o A

rafael@proxftl.UUCP (Rafael Mayer) (06/20/88)

In article <50@uisc1.UUCP>, root@uisc1.UUCP (Super user) writes:
> I would like to air one gripe that has been steadily building as I have
> been reading various posts on the question/advice oriented newsgroups.
>
> The trend is to ask a question, and then to finish it by saying "Please
> reply to E-mail/private mail as I am too busy to keep up with this
> conference/newsgroup."

> What's the result? Well, the result is a newsgroup in which you have lots
> and lots of questions, and no answers. The result is also that people
> stop reading the newsgroup, as nobody is really terribly interested in
> the questions. It's the answers and the advice people are reading it for.
>
> Comments and Feedback encouraged, publicly to this newsgroup.

Actually there is a good reason for this.  Person X posts a question on
newsgroup Y and 30 people know the answer.  If they all posted the answers to
the net then we would get high volume and redundancy in newsgroup Y.

I agree that questions without answers are annoying, the alternative practice
I have seen takes care of this problem.  If you post a question to the net add
the following:

	Respond by E-mail, and I will summarize to the net.

This way, we avoid seeing repeat postings of the same answer, and if there
is more than one solution, they are all neatly summarized in a single article.
It works.

| Rafael Mayer                                        | This space         |
| UUCP: {ihnp4!codas,allegra}!novavax!proxftl!rafael  |         for rent.  |
| Smooth ice                                                 |  Friedrich  |
|            Is paradise                                     |  Wilhelm    |
|                        For those who dance with expertise. |  Nietzsche  |