[comp.unix.xenix] "cd path" strangeness summary

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (06/23/88)

>In article <337@vector.UUCP>, chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
> In csh, move to some directory which doesn't have a "path" subdirectory.
> Then type either "cd path" or "chdir path".

Thanks for all the answers.  The final result is "RTFM".  Several folks
have quoted various manuals:

   Finally, if all else fails but |name| is a shell variable whose
   value begins with /, then this is tried to see if it is a directory.

I could've sworn I read the manual several times before posting, but there
it is in black 'n white.  (Anybody actually use this feature?  Seems kind
of dubious to me.)

Anyway...thank you all for the cordial answers.  I opened myself up for
a bunch of "RTFM you jerk" responses.  You were all quite gracious.
(Except for Doug Gywn who labelled the original article "nonsense" with
little more explanation.  I'm still trying to figure out why he bothered.)
--
Chip Rosenthal /// chip@vector.UUCP /// Dallas Semiconductor /// 214-450-0400
{uunet!warble,sun!texsun!rpp386,killer}!vector!chip