[comp.unix.xenix] SCO XENIX-286 Disk Optimizer

meyer@mimsy.UUCP (John R. Meyer) (06/26/88)

Hello, Netlanders --

	Does anyone know of any (hopefully free) disk optimizer for SCO
XENIX-286 2.2.1?  Something that will place the blocks of a filesystem
in the optimal places on the disk to account for fragmentation and disk
interleave and so forth?

					Thanks,

						John
						meyer@mimsy.umd.edu

--
John R. Meyer					Domain: meyer@mimsy.umd.edu
10208C Ashbrooke Ct.				Path:   uunet.uu.net!mimsy!meyer

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (06/26/88)

In article <12144@mimsy.UUCP> meyer@mimsy.UUCP (John R. Meyer) writes:
>Hello, Netlanders --
>
>	Does anyone know of any (hopefully free) disk optimizer for SCO
>XENIX-286 2.2.1?  Something that will place the blocks of a filesystem
>in the optimal places on the disk to account for fragmentation and disk
>interleave and so forth?

yes, there are three tools which are commonly used to perform this task.
there is even a high degree of flexibility in using these tools.  and
the tools are also commonly available so you should be able to use them
on any unix system.

the first tool will reorder the free list of the disk into optimal order.

the second tool is used to save files onto a tape and restore them in
optimal order.

the third tool is used to create a fresh file system with the free list
stored in optimal order.

these tools are fsck, cpio and mkfs. ;-)

- john.
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, Division "S"               | "USENET should not be confused with