[comp.unix.xenix] man pages & SCO Xenix

wrm@telcomm.UUCP (William R. Mattil) (06/25/88)

SCO Xenix 2.2.X with the updated Text processing system has man pages
for the usual commands. I am trying to add smail, pathalias etc to
the pages on file. The manual says that "man" formatted document is
to go in /usr/man/man.LOCAL and the "catable" document is to go in
/usr/man/cat.LOCAL. The problem is that either these directories are
not getting searched (LOCAL is included in /etc/default/man) or that
the extension for the files is not correct. If I add the files to
/usr/man/cat.C with the extension ".C" the pages are then available.

What if anything am I doing wrong ???? Is this a problem with the
Text Development System ? This is driving me crazy ( admittably
a very short trip! )

Thanks in Advance
--
William R. Mattil  NC6T      |  INTERNET: wrm@telcomm.CTS.COM
5292 System Dr.              |  UUCP: {hplabs, trwrb}!felix!telcomm!wrm

tif@cpe.UUCP (06/29/88)

Written  7:22 pm  Jun 24, 1988 by telcomm.UUCP!wrm in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
>SCO Xenix 2.2.X with the updated Text processing system has man pages
>for the usual commands. I am trying to add smail, pathalias etc to
>the pages on file. The manual says that "man" formatted document is
>to go in /usr/man/man.LOCAL and the "catable" document is to go in
>/usr/man/cat.LOCAL. The problem is that either these directories are
>not getting searched (LOCAL is included in /etc/default/man) or that
>the extension for the files is not correct. If I add the files to
>/usr/man/cat.C with the extension ".C" the pages are then available.

I have also noticed this.  Here is the scoop:

A man entry in man.NAME must have the filename cmd.NAME (i.e.
/usr/man/man.LOCAL/readnews.LOCAL)  This is a stupid convention,
why would you need the extension at all?  For compatability, it
really ought to accept ANY filename extension.

Now to top it off, how about "compressdir?"  The filename is
/usr/man/man.LOCAL/compressdir.LOCAL.  Unfortunately this gets
saved as compressdir.LO (14 chars) and can't be found by man!

The best idea I have is to make /usr/man/man.L and /usr/man/cat.L.
Then the names of the man pages can be up to 12 characters.  So you
have /usr/man/man.L/compressdir.L.

Also if you change MANPATH to include another directory like /usr/local/man,
man will give an error message when you ask for a topic which is listed
under two or more names.

Upon rereading that, it looks barely understandable, but you get
what you pay for.

<standard disclaimer>

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			ihnp4!sys1!cpe!tif

root@libove.UUCP (The Super User) (06/29/88)

From article <45@telcomm.UUCP>, by wrm@telcomm.UUCP (William R. Mattil):
[ discussion about "man" not searching "default" paths ]
> Thanks in Advance
> --
> William R. Mattil  NC6T      |  INTERNET: wrm@telcomm.CTS.COM
> 5292 System Dr.              |  UUCP: {hplabs, trwrb}!felix!telcomm!wrm
> Huntington Beach Calif.      |  PHONENET: (714) 891 - 9441

I hacked the /usr/bin/man script on SCO Xenix (2.2.1) to use "find" starting
at /usr/man to locate files, instead of the unusual way it does it by
default, which is to let the shell expand a particular set of paths with
wildcards...

I would post diffs or the new man program I use except that I think I would
be in violation of the SCO copyright if I did that. Any thoughts on whether
or not this is true? ANY COMMENTS, SCO?

--
Jay Libove               Internet: libove@cs.cmu.edu libove@andrew.cmu.edu
5313 Ellsworth Avenue              formtek!ditka!libove!libove@pt.cs.cmu.edu

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (06/30/88)

As a side issue, I've never understood why XENIX took one suitably crummy
convention (1 2 3 ... 8) and replaced it with another crummy convention
(C F M S ...).  It certainly isn't worth the price of breaking every "make
install" in the world.  My understanding is that this is a usoft-ism, and
not a sco-ism.  In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty trivial.  But
I hope the *nix merger-mania fixes this.
--
Chip Rosenthal /// chip@vector.UUCP /// Dallas Semiconductor /// 214-450-0400
{uunet!warble,sun!texsun!rpp386,killer}!vector!chip

tif@cpe.UUCP (06/30/88)

Written  7:55 pm  Jun 28, 1988 by libove.UUCP!root in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
>I hacked the /usr/bin/man script on SCO Xenix (2.2.1) to use "find" starting
>at /usr/man to locate files, instead of the unusual way it does it by
>default, which is to let the shell expand a particular set of paths with
>wildcards...

The latest version of man is not a shell script (unfortunately).

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (07/02/88)

In article <53@libove.UUCP> root@libove.UUCP (The Super User) writes:

| I would post diffs or the new man program I use except that I think I would
| be in violation of the SCO copyright if I did that. Any thoughts on whether
| or not this is true? ANY COMMENTS, SCO?

  I don't think there's any problem with diffs, since there is zero SCO
code. *Don't* use a context diff, however, as that would contain some
copyrighted code.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

ericg@sco.COM (Mwa ha ha) (07/02/88)

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) wrote in article <385@vector.UUCP>:
]As a side issue, I've never understood why XENIX took one suitably crummy
]convention (1 2 3 ... 8) and replaced it with another crummy convention
](C F M S ...).  It certainly isn't worth the price of breaking every "make
]install" in the world.  My understanding is that this is a usoft-ism, and
]not a sco-ism.  In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty trivial.  But
]I hope the *nix merger-mania fixes this.
]--
]Chip Rosenthal /// chip@vector.UUCP /// Dallas Semiconductor /// 214-450-0400

I doubt anything will fix this.  The problem stems from chopping up
Unix into different pieces: OS, Development System, and Text processing.
If you did not separate the man pages is some other way than the
(1,2,...8) scheme, when you bought the DS, you would have to alphabetize
all the sections yourself.

Since people don't like having to remove book blocks from shrinkwrap
and install tabs themselves, imagine what a pain that this would have
to be.

--
Eric Griswold  |\*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*| "When Zen is outlawed |
ericg@sco.COM  | I do not speak for SCO.  I barely    | only outlaws will     |

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (07/05/88)

In article <699@nod2sco>, ericg@sco.COM (Mwa ha ha) writes:
> chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) wrote in article <385@vector.UUCP>:
> ]As a side issue, I've never understood why XENIX took one suitably crummy
> ]convention (1 2 3 ... 8) and replaced it with another crummy convention
> ](C F M S ...).

> I doubt anything will fix this.  The problem stems from chopping up
> Unix into different pieces: OS, Development System, and Text processing.
> If you did not separate the man pages is some other way than the
> (1,2,...8) scheme, when you bought the DS, you would have to alphabetize
> all the sections yourself.

I suggest doing what we did.  We publish pocket references for various
flavors of UNIX (yes, even XENIX, SCO has bought thousands from us).
We decided to include all of the commands for OS, Development
System and Text Processing in one booklet and indicate what package
they are from.  We use something like a dot for development system
and diamond for text processing.
Then, when you use the reference, if you have everything you don't
care.  If you don't have everything and you pick a command and then
realize it has a dot in front of it, you need the development system.

SCO could just include the man pages for all the programs marked
in such a manner.  They, ship all the other docs with each package.
It probably wouldn't increase the cost of the documentation package
very much and would be good advertising for the other products.

:r .sig

--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl