[comp.unix.xenix] HDB UUCP for SCO Xenix

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (06/10/88)

In article <266@mjbtn.UUCP> root@mjbtn.UUCP (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
| Well, with SCO uucp "as is" being brain-damaged, is there any third party
| vendor out there that has ported HDB uucp for the '286 or '386 Xenix
| packages?

You can get the Trailblazer update from SCO for free. It isn't HDB
(there are those of us who don't much care for it), but BREAK, PAUSE,
and most of the needed escapes, such as \s \c \r \t work. I just
switched to it two days ago because a new system wanted to autobaud on a
mixture of CR and blanks. So far about 600 calls to 38 systems, still
looks good.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (06/13/88)

In article <11204@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <266@mjbtn.UUCP> root@mjbtn.UUCP (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
>| Well, with SCO uucp "as is" being brain-damaged, is there any third party
>| vendor out there that has ported HDB uucp for the '286 or '386 Xenix
>| packages?
>
>You can get the Trailblazer update from SCO for free. It isn't HDB
>(there are those of us who don't much care for it), but BREAK, PAUSE,
>and most of the needed escapes, such as \s \c \r \t work. I just
>switched to it two days ago because a new system wanted to autobaud on a
>mixture of CR and blanks. So far about 600 calls to 38 systems, still
>looks good.

It does work.

But it doesn't solve the character-at-a-time-slowdown problems.  HDB uucp
would give much better performance when you've got many connections going
at once.

This is from first-hand experience, both here and with our feed.  When our
feed site is going with two or three feeds at once (note: all outbound, and
they have a smart SIO board) the system gets unreasonably slow in
transmission.  This is a Compaq 20Mhz 80386!  No excuse at all for the
slowdown....

Another site with HDB running under SCO doesn't have this problem...

About all I can come up with is that the uucp is doing character-at-a-time
reads 'n' writes, which are nice and inefficient.... (without source, of
course, it's a guess, but probably a good one)

SCO Xenix *badly* needs a better uucp -- it (and the attendant problems with
terminal locking; we ended up doing our own ungetty/getty replacement!) is
the only part of the system that gets a "horrid" rating from us....  a
better uucp (ie: HDB or a late 4BSD version), complete with graded transfers
and *real* port interlocking done in the driver would make one hell of a
difference.

--
Karl Denninger (ihnp4!ddsw1!karl) Data: (312) 566-8912, Voice: (312) 566-8910
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    "Quality solutions for work or play"

root@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Admin) (07/03/88)

Additionally we have a problem even with the upgraded "trailblazer" uucp (which
is *much* better than the uucp distributed with 2.1.3, by the way); that is
uucico refuses to call more than one number associatted with a system (in the
L.sys file), ever.

I have a system that we call that has only 3 dialup lines.  One 2400 and 2
1200.  If i place the 2400 line first in the L.sys file and then force a call,
it makes the call and then finds its busy or something and fails to go onto the
other 2 1200 lines.  I have to *manually* move the lines around in the L.sys
file to get it to call the other lines if the first fails.  Very annoying.

This basically cuts out 2/3 of the chances of making a successful connection!
And of course, after a while, dumb, stock uucp refuses to even bother with the
attempt....
sigh.

derek
--
Derek Terveer	root@hawkmoon.MN.ORG	uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!root

john@jetson.UUCP (John Owens) (07/08/88)

In article <162@hawkmoon.MN.ORG>, root@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Admin) writes:
> uucico refuses to call more than one number associatted with a system (in the
> L.sys file), ever.

I reported this to SCO as a bug, and got a nice response back, which I
quote:

	I have confirmed that our current version of UUCP does not
	allow multiple L.sys lines to refer to the same site.

	This is definitely a problem, and I would normally bug report
	it, but in this case help is already on the way.  The
	Honey-Danber version of UUCP which will be included in the 2.3
	version of XENIX will correct the situation.

	Version 2.3 is expected to be available toward the end of this
	summer.  I hope this answers your concerns.

I'm looking forward to it!

--
John Owens		SMART HOUSE Limited Partnership
john@jetson.UUCP	(old uucp) uunet!jetson!john