[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix Configuration and Configuration Limits

peter@stca77.stc.oz (Peter Jeremy) (07/04/88)

Is Xenix Configuration documented anywhere?  Can anyone give me references
to some books?

Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation of what all the IPC
configuration options do?
MSGMNI and MSGTQL seem self-explanatory and seem to behave the way I
would expect from their brief descriptions.  My attempts to change the
other configuration values have generally not had the effect I expected.

I am runing SCO Xenix Release 2.2.1 on a 286.  Does anyone know of any ways
to increase the following parameters:
1) maximum number of open files (NFILE) (currently 400)
2) number of message queues (MSGMNI) (currently 40)
3) number of message headers (MSGTQL) (currently 100)
4) total number of bytes in message queues (currently 8192, but I don't
   know why)
Are these limits eased in the 386 version?
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)         peter%stca77@stcns3.stc.oz
Alcatel-STC Australia        ...!munnari!stcns3.stc.oz!stca77!peter

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (07/09/88)

In article <200@stca77.stc.oz> peter%stca77@stcns3.stc.oz (Peter Jeremy) writes:

>Is Xenix Configuration documented anywhere?  Can anyone give me references
>to some books?
>
>Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation of what all the IPC
>configuration options do?
>MSGMNI and MSGTQL seem self-explanatory and seem to behave the way I
>would expect from their brief descriptions.  My attempts to change the
>other configuration values have generally not had the effect I expected.
>
>I am runing SCO Xenix Release 2.2.1 on a 286.  Does anyone know of any ways
>to increase the following parameters:
>1) maximum number of open files (NFILE) (currently 400)
>2) number of message queues (MSGMNI) (currently 40)
>3) number of message headers (MSGTQL) (currently 100)
>4) total number of bytes in message queues (currently 8192, but I don't
>   know why)
>Are these limits eased in the 386 version?

the configuration is quite simple for 2.2.1 and is sort of menu driven.
you need to run the 'configure' program in /usr/sys.  that should ask you
all of the questions.  then run link_xenix or something like that and
reboot.

as for the limits you have, are they too small???  my ghod, my 48 user
68020 machine only has 300 file table entries.  what do you expect???
this is the configuration info for rpp386, as told by the soon-to-be-posted
crash program:

	buffers	  512
	calls	   30
	inodes	  100
	e_inodes  100
	files	  100
	e_files	  100
	mounts	    8
	e_mounts    8
	procs	   60
	e_procs	   19
	texts	   40
	e_texts	   40
	clists	   64
	sabufs	   64
	maxproc	   30
	hashbuf	  512
	hashmask  511

for two to eight users these numbers should be just fine.  perhaps you
could enlighten us on how many users you have?

- john.
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (id for use with uunet/usenet) (07/11/88)

In article <3749@rpp386.UUCP>, jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) writes:

! as for the limits you have, are they too small???  my ghod, my 48 user
! 68020 machine only has 300 file table entries.  what do you expect???
! this is the configuration info for rpp386, as told by the soon-to-be-posted
! crash program:
!
! 	buffers	  512
! 	calls	   30
! 	inodes	  100
! 	e_inodes  100
! 	files	  100
! 	e_files	  100
! 	mounts	    8
! 	e_mounts    8
! 	procs	   60
! 	e_procs	   19
! 	texts	   40
! 	e_texts	   40
! 	clists	   64
! 	sabufs	   64
! 	maxproc	   30
! 	hashbuf	  512
! 	hashmask  511
!
! for two to eight users these numbers should be just fine.  perhaps you
! could enlighten us on how many users you have?
!

Some programs and databases open loads of files, and keep them open for
a long time.  The numbers above will be ok only if the users and their
programs are not hogging the system resources.  However, they could
be exceeded by a resource hog running on many terminals. (I know, it
happened to a customer of mine :-)  )/

Jonathan Bayer				(I don't know, I only work here)
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
19 Virginia Ave.
Rockville Centre, NY   11570
uunet!ispi!jbayer

peter@stca77.stc.oz (Peter Jeremy) (07/14/88)

In article <3749@rpp386.UUCP> jfh@rpp386.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:
>In article <200@stca77.stc.oz> peter%stca77@stcns3.stc.oz (Peter Jeremy) writes:
>>
>>Is Xenix Configuration documented anywhere?  Can anyone give me references
>>to some books?

Maybe I should have said that I have studied the manual entries for CONFIG(C)
and CONFIGURE(C).  I would like more detailed information and _explanations_
of what the various parameters do.

>>Can anyone give me a reasonable explanation of what all the IPC
>>configuration options do?
>>MSGMNI and MSGTQL seem self-explanatory and seem to behave the way I
>>would expect from their brief descriptions.  My attempts to change the
>>other configuration values have generally not had the effect I expected.

>>I am runing SCO Xenix Release 2.2.1 on a 286.  Does anyone know of any ways
>>to increase the following parameters:
>>1) maximum number of open files (NFILE) (currently 400)
>>2) number of message queues (MSGMNI) (currently 40)
>>3) number of message headers (MSGTQL) (currently 100)
>>4) total number of bytes in message queues (currently 8192, but I don't
>>   know why)

>the configuration is quite simple for 2.2.1 and is sort of menu driven.
>you need to run the 'configure' program in /usr/sys.  that should ask you
>all of the questions.  then run link_xenix or something like that and
>reboot.

This I know.  I have used it a fair amount, and it is _much_ nicer than the
procedure for altering the configuration on 2.1.  Only problem is that the
parameters only have a one line "description", which in some cases requires
more knowledge of how the kernel works than I have to adjust sensibly.

>as for the limits you have, are they too small???  my ghod, my 48 user
>68020 machine only has 300 file table entries.  what do you expect???
>this is the configuration info for rpp386, as told by the soon-to-be-posted
>crash program:
> [ configuration info deleted ]
>for two to eight users these numbers should be just fine.  perhaps you
>could enlighten us on how many users you have?

Well, it depends how you count them.  Physically, about five, but through
the wonders of multiscreens and some users having more than 1 terminal,
there are generally 10-15 logins (19 enabled tty's).

The main reason for the high system load is the system we are developing.
It currently comprises 23 processes, which communicate mostly through
message queues.  Many of the programs also access a database comprising
about 36 files.  In the short term, the system will grow to ~40 processes.
This leads to a need for a large number of message queues, large message
queue size and lots of open files.  I have recently done some "tuning" of
the database accesing and reduced the number of files needed, my main
limitations are now message queues (and possibly shared memory attaches).

I have also noticed that the limits quoted by configure are not necessarily
correct in combinations - I have produced kernels that, despite all
configuration parameters being within limits, linking without error and
having data segments <64K, produce nonsense when you start putting a load
on them.