[comp.unix.xenix] Pcomm port to XENIX R3.4

pracuff@brl-smoke.ARPA (Phillip R. Acuff ) (07/08/88)

pcomm is a unix clone of the popular PROCOMM for MS-DOS machines.  It
is a window oriented communications package with xmodem, ymodem, zmodem
support with a phone directory for autodialers.  It is very nice
(although the author did not put kermit in -- PROCOMM has kermit also).

The code was recently posted to comp.sources.unix.
The code was originally written for UNIX V, however after making the minor
XENIX/UNIX V header changes, I got the the code to compile using the
large memory model.  I do not use XENIX for development, but use UNIX V.3.
So when pcomm is run, it ends up getting a buss error/segmentation violation.
Unless some pointer combination is messed up, I don't know what the problem
might be.  I do not have time to get into debugging this.  Anyone interested
in doing the port, or is the port already finished.  It is very worthwhile
to have.  BTW the machine I tried running it on is an INTEL 310AP/311 w/
4 meg ram.

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (07/17/88)

In article <8221@brl-smoke.ARPA> pracuff@brl-smoke.ARPA (Phillip R. Acuff ) writes:
>pcomm is a unix clone of the popular PROCOMM for MS-DOS machines.  It
>is a window oriented communications package with xmodem, ymodem, zmodem
>support with a phone directory for autodialers.  It is very nice
>(although the author did not put kermit in -- PROCOMM has kermit also).
[.......]
>So when pcomm is run, it ends up getting a buss error/segmentation violation.
>Unless some pointer combination is messed up, I don't know what the problem
>might be.  I do not have time to get into debugging this.  Anyone interested
>in doing the port, or is the port already finished.

We have modified code for pcomm on turnkey, it was extensively modified by
Sandy Zelkovitz (sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM - infamous author of XBBS :-) and it
does run. I have not had occassion to put it to real use but reports from
another local site running the code indicates it still has some problems.
(Those interested in details should contact root@conexch.TCC.COM.) However
the code is basically operational. Anyone interested can uucp it from
turnkey; the file is in the public directory called pcomm.tar.Z. We have an
anonymous unpassworded uucp login: nuucp. The phone number is 714-662-7450.
As Phillip noted, this is a really nice program, in fact its emulation of
Procomm is nothing short of amazing!

						Have fun all,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA