[comp.unix.xenix] Xenix/386 + VGA

daveb@laidbak.UUCP (Dave Burton) (07/19/88)

I recently ordered a Dell System 310 with a VGA monitor.
While talking to their tech support about which version
of Xenix to get for this system (with a 90 Meg ESDI drive),
I was informed of a problem where Xenix cannot talk to
the Paradise VGA card as a VGA.

The solution given was extremely kludgy. I do not yet have
this system in hand (won't until early August), so I haven't
had a chance to verify correctness of this kludge:

1. Boot from an MSDOS disk. (ack!)
2. From the VGA utility disk, execute "VGA".
3. Select "Hercules Full Mode" or "CGA Mode".
4. Select "Lock Current Mode".
5. Goto system setup mode (Cntl-Alt-Enter) and change the
	display type to whatever you did in step 3.
6. Warm boot to Xenix (Cntl-Alt-Delete).

This supposedly lasts until the next power-on.

Anyone: I seek confirmation of this problem and solution.
Anyone: There has got to be a better way. What is it?

SCO: when will you have a new VGA driver for Paradise VGA cards?

Thanks in advance.

-- Dave Burton (ihnp4!laidbak!daveb)

chapman@sco.COM (brian chapman) (07/22/88)

In article <1526@laidbak.UUCP> daveb@laidbak.UUCP (Dave Burton) writes:
<
< I recently ordered a Dell System 310 with a VGA monitor.
< I was informed of a problem where Xenix cannot talk to
< the Paradise VGA card as a VGA.
<
< The solution given was extremely kludgy.
	<...use DOS to lock the VGA into CGA mode...>
< This supposedly lasts until the next power-on.
<
< Anyone: I seek confirmation of this problem and solution.
< Anyone: There has got to be a better way. What is it?
<
< SCO: when will you have a new VGA driver for Paradise VGA cards?
<
< Thanks in advance.
< -- Dave Burton (ihnp4!laidbak!daveb)

1) VGAs do not work in Xenix versions 2.2.2 and previous.

2) Compaq VGAs, and VGAs with their fonts at the same ROM
   locations as Compaq, work in the currently available
   2.2.3 release.

3) Most every other VGA works with 2.2.3 if you get the
   VGA update (possibly known as the olivetti VGA fix)
   from SCO support.

4) VGA support in 2.2.3 is limited to the EGA compatible
   modes only, including graphics.

5) Full VGA support will be available in the soon to be
   released Xenix 2.3.0.
--
Brian Chapman		Xenix kernel development
	uunet!sco!chapman

las@eecae.UUCP (Larry A. Shields) (07/23/88)

"Full VGA support in the soon to be released  2.3"  One wonders how
many months in a "soon".  Update 'K' to allow those of us who are
long time SCO customers to use the VGA in text mode has been promised
in "two weeks" since April...

==larry

bruno@pbsdts.UUCP (Bruce W. Mohler) (07/24/88)

In article <10248@eecae.UUCP>, las@eecae.UUCP (Larry A. Shields) writes:
> "Full VGA support in the soon to be released  2.3"  One wonders how
> many months in a "soon".  Update 'K' to allow those of us who are
> long time SCO customers to use the VGA in text mode has been promised
> in "two weeks" since April...
>
> ==larry

I talked to a nice lady (named Berkeley) on their Sales number
on Friday (7/22).  She said that Update 'K' was starting to
ship this last week and that '2.3' would be shipping in August.
But then I'm an optimist...

Now, if only I could find a decent symbolic debugger to use
with their Development System, I'd be all set...

--
Bruce W. Mohler                       voice: 619/586-2218
Staff Analyst                         unix:  bruno@pbsdts.pacbell.com