[comp.unix.xenix] cu with "~%take" problem...

jeffh@hpubvwa.HP.COM (Jeff Harrell) (07/27/88)

I've just installed XENIX on my 386 and all went well! I've tested
a good chunk of the code and it all seems to work except:

	   cu with "~%take"...

Cu works just fine. I can call a remote UN*X system. I can "put"
files on the remote system. But, when I try "~%take" I get
"can't divert ~>". I've checked access etc... and that's not the
problem (I've even done it as root to /tmp). I'm starting to
get a little baffled??

Any help?

Jeff (Spectra Software) Harrell
(206) 927-9268

jeffh@hpubvwa.HP.COM (Jeff Harrell) (07/27/88)

Oh ya, I didn't give you an example:

(I've logged into the remote system)

"~%take t.c"        (it's there and I can read it )

(the following is echoed on the screen:)

"mesg n; echo '~>':t.c; cat t.c; echo '~>';msg y"  (new line)
"~>"
(now the contents of t.c is printed on the screen)
(next comes:)

"can't divert ~>"

(what the hell happened??)

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (07/30/88)

In article <11650005@hpubvwa.HP.COM> jeffh@hpubvwa.HP.COM (Jeff Harrell) writes:
>Oh ya, I didn't give you an example:
>
>(I've logged into the remote system)
>
>"~%take t.c"        (it's there and I can read it )
>
>(the following is echoed on the screen:)
>
>"mesg n; echo '~>':t.c; cat t.c; echo '~>';msg y"  (new line)
>"~>"
>(now the contents of t.c is printed on the screen)
>(next comes:)
>
>"can't divert ~>"
>
>(what the hell happened??)

Whenever I've encountered this, it has been either a permission
or a path problem.

On the local machine check that the current directory is writable
and that there is no file by the name you are trying to "take"
already there with read-only permission.

If you are giving a full path name in the "take" statement to the
remote machine, make sure that the same directory hiearchy exists
on the local machine and that you are in the same relative
position (unless you give a local name with the take).

For example "take" will bomb in the fashion you described if
give

  ~%take /usr/twit/guff/crud.c

and you are not in "/" with all subdirectories in existence on
the local machine.

Another possibility (much more unlikely) involves too many
processes running on the local machine.

Now, could somebody tell me how to get around the need for a ~ in
cu escapes?

jeffh@hpubvwa.HP.COM (Jeff Harrell) (07/31/88)

>problem with "~%take"

All of my attempts to use "take" was taking files from an
HP-UX machine in the C shell. I was given the opportunity
to "take" from a XENIX box and all went well.

Well, I went back and tried to "take" a file from the HP-UX
machine in the bourne shell (suggested by a friend). All went
well. Seems to be related to the command interpreter on the
HP-UX machine.

Jeff (spectra software) Harrell