[comp.unix.xenix] SCO/vpix or uPort/Merge ?

prott@sinix.UUCP (Andreas Prott) (07/29/88)

Hi folks!

The company I'm doing some programming stuff for wants to
invest some money into a new computer system (80386). They want to
combine the advantages of XENIX (they already have an informix
database on an Altos 586 under Xenix 3.0b) and DOS (Desktop
Publishing, business graphics).

So my questions to the net are:
	- has anybody made experiences with the combinations
	  SCO/VPix or Microport/Merge with MS-Windows (+PageMaker)
	  or GEM (+Ventura)? Are there any problems?
	- the Microport solution is much cheaper than SCO. What about
	  the quality?

Thanks
Andreas Prott
Munich, Germany.

uucp: mcvax!unido!sinix!prott

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (08/02/88)

In article <475@athen.sinix.UUCP>, prott@sinix.UUCP (Andreas Prott) writes:
> The company I'm doing some programming stuff for wants to
> invest some money into a new computer system (80386). They want to
> combine the advantages of XENIX (they already have an informix
> database on an Altos 586 under Xenix 3.0b) and DOS (Desktop
> Publishing, business graphics).

> So my questions to the net are:
> 	- has anybody made experiences with the combinations
> 	  SCO/VPix or Microport/Merge with MS-Windows (+PageMaker)
> 	  or GEM (+Ventura)? Are there any problems?
> 	- the Microport solution is much cheaper than SCO. What about
> 	  the quality?

I suggest you get a copy of he August issue of MicroSystems Journal.
There is a comparison article (written by me) on all the 386 *IX/DOS
combinations.  This should give you the basic info.  I would like to
point out that SCO still doesn't have the 'real' version released but
it is supposed to be out there any day.

I have not tried it but SCO claims that windows works fine under their
flavor of VP/ix.  And Aldus claims that "if windows works, Pagemaker
will work".

Hope this helps.

Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl