[comp.unix.xenix] pcomm on SCO Xenix.

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (07/29/88)

In article <368@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM> jml@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) writes:
>In article <44@csnz.nz> paul@csnz.UUCP (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
>>Also, can anyone please advise where I can obtain pcomm for SCO/Xenix

A version of pcomm that compiles under SCO Xenix is available on conexch.
You can get a copy of /usr3/public/pcomm.tar.Z via anonymous uucp.  Just use
the L.sys/Systems file enter in the .signature.

>I've been trying to compile and run it. So far, I've just messed up
>and frozen the particular virtual terminal I'm in. Any suggestions?

Here are the flaws/anomalies I have found in version 1.0 of pcomm under
SCO Xenix 386:

PORTS:
        must use lowercase device for dialout!
        port must be disabled for dialout

BUGS:   XMODEM upload gives erroneous data in file-size, est-transfer-time,
        percent-complete, and bytes-transferd fields.  This on a 124,543
        byte file.  34k files work ok.

        occasionally can't read data coming from modem, but outgoing
        chars are sent.

        Modem-7 uploads default to checksum.

        No entries are made in phone_calls

        Xmodem downloads >~30k are truncated on final close!

        File names larger than 14 chars on Xmodem downloads dump core & logout!

        Re-dial doesn't.

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

manes@dasys1.UUCP (Steve Manes) (08/02/88)

In article <4089@conexch.UUCP> root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
>In article <368@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM> jml@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) writes:
>Here are the flaws/anomalies I have found in version 1.0 of pcomm under
>SCO Xenix 386:

My project for the month is to get Pcomm working reliably with Xenix.  I've
fixed some of the bugs you noted (the ones you mentionedabout Xmodem are
fortuitous... I haven't really tried to use it for file transfers yet).  I've
added LCK file support for the uppercase serial device (no one really knows
helplessness until he runs a comm program when UUCP wakes up, sees no
lockfile on the port and decides to start talking).  I've also
got lockfile checking installed (many programs create 'em and expect the
next guy to clean them up.  I've added checking for an active PID).  Added
also is reinvocation of 'getty' for the port and resetting of the modem.
Hmmm.... and a bunch of minor other things.

All in all, I'm really thrilled with Pcomm.  It's a great version 1.0
looking for an even greater version 2.0.  Nice job, Emmet!  I'll upload the
diffs when I'm done.
--
+-----
+ Steve Manes