[comp.unix.xenix] "expanded" memory w/ xenix 2.1.3

root@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Admin) (08/05/88)

Site "corum" is a unisys pc/it running xenix 2.1.3 that, until yesterday, was
crawling along with 1M of memory, total.  I just installed an intel above board
populated with 2M of memory which, in combination with the 1M on the mother
board should give corum a total of 3M.

However, i've noticed in the manual for the above board that xenix doesn't
recognise and can not use expanded memory.  This seems to be verified by the
fact that no matter what configuration i put the system into (using the setup
program that came with the (dos) diagnostic disk) xenix will only display a
maximum memory of 2.5M upon boot.

Does this mean that i *can't* use the extra 1/2M???  It would be *really* nice
to be able to use that memory.

Right now i've got it configured for 512K base, 2M extended, no daughter board,
1 memory expansion board.

Any suggestions, ideas, condolences??

derek
--
Derek Terveer		root@hawkmoon.MN.ORG
			w(612)681-6986

richard richard@neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) (08/06/88)

If you have 1MB RAM in your pc/it, it will be 512K base, and 512K
extended memory. (I think this is the RAM you miss).

You have to tell the Intel board that there is already 512K RAM of
extended memory in the system. (You can do this with DIP switches)
That's all!

Don't forget to set the extended RAM to 2560K (2.5 MB) with your
diagnostics program.

Richard
(...!mcvax!telmail!root)

rem@remsit.UUCP (Roger Murray) (08/08/88)

In article <234@hawkmoon.MN.ORG> root@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Admin) writes:
>However, i've noticed in the manual for the above board that xenix doesn't
>recognise and can not use expanded memory.  This seems to be verified by the
>fact that no matter what configuration i put the system into (using the setup
>program that came with the (dos) diagnostic disk) xenix will only display a
>maximum memory of 2.5M upon boot.
>Any suggestions, ideas, condolences??

I had the same problem, although with a different board that only had 1 meg,
but the same "missing 512K" problem came up.  How I fixed it was simple, but
counterintuitive.  I don't know if the Above board has settings to indicate
the base address.  If so, set it so that it starts at the 1.5MB mark.  Yes,
that's 1.5 and not 1.0.  The manuals I had said something about that, and
as silly as it sounds, it works.  Don't forget to set the computer to 512K
mode and use setup.  If you don't setup, you'll be battling parity errors
until you do.  :-)
--
Roger Murray

UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,randvax,sdcrdcf,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!cepu!ucla-an!remsit!rem
ARPA: cepu!ucla-an!remsit!rem@CS.UCLA.EDU