[comp.unix.xenix] /etc/inittab Problems with SCO XENIX-286

meyer@mimsy.UUCP (John R. Meyer) (08/15/88)

Hello Netlanders --

	I am trying to get the /usr/bin/sysadmsh shell going in multiscreen
/dev/tty05 using /etc/inittab.  I have the line

	05::respawn:/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/sysadmsh

in the /etc/inittab file but the standard

	login:

message is displayed on tty05.  Can someone tell me what I am missing?

				Thanks,

					John
--
John R. Meyer					Domain: meyer@mimsy.umd.edu
10208C Ashbrooke Ct.				Path:   uunet.uu.net!mimsy!meyer

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (id for use with uunet/usenet) (08/15/88)

In article <12997@mimsy.UUCP>, meyer@mimsy.UUCP (John R. Meyer) writes:
> Hello Netlanders --
>
> 	I am trying to get the /usr/bin/sysadmsh shell going in multiscreen
> /dev/tty05 using /etc/inittab.  I have the line
>
> 	05::respawn:/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/sysadmsh
>
> in the /etc/inittab file but the standard

In SCO Xenix the inittab file is not fully functional.  Looking at the manual
it says that the program telinit converts the inittab file to the ttys file.
Because of this it ignores the program name at the end of the line.

To start a shell or program automatically on powerup you have to do several
steps.  I don't have them at my fingertips, but they involve creating
a user with the name of the tty you want to use, and putting the
word AUTO on a line in the gettydefs file which the terminal definition
will access.  I know I have left at least one other step, but this should
get you on the right direction.  Look at page two of the  GETTYDEFS(F) manual
and you should be able to figure out the rest.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
19 Virginia Ave.
Rockville Centre, NY   11570
uunet!ispi!jbayer

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (08/16/88)

In article <12997@mimsy.UUCP>, meyer@mimsy.UUCP (John R. Meyer) writes:
> 	I am trying to get the /usr/bin/sysadmsh shell going in multiscreen
> /dev/tty05 using /etc/inittab.  I have the line

> 	05::respawn:/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/sysadmsh

> in the /etc/inittab file but the standard
> 	login:
> message is displayed on tty05.  Can someone tell me what I am missing?

Well, SCO Xenix 2.2 doesn't really have inittab, it just simulates it.
init itself only deals with /etc/ttys, which just enables and disables
lines.  If you want to achieve the effect above, you can either wait
for SCO Xenix 2.3 (which I hear is now shipping and has the real
System V init, with full inittab support), or modify /etc/gettydefs to
define a new getty code and put that code in place of the 'm' in the
appropriate /etc/ttys line.  I added the following to mine to support
a system status screen on one multiscreen:

S # EXTA  HUPCL # EXTA CS8 SANE HUPCL TAB3 ECHOE IXANY #\r\n# S # \
	AUTO /etc/runsystat

(The split is for news convenience; use one long line in
/etc/gettydefs, ending "# S # AUTO /etc/runsystat".)
--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US
SMART HOUSE L.P.	uunet!jetson!john		(old uucp)

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (08/16/88)

In article <12997@mimsy.UUCP> meyer@mimsy.UUCP (John R. Meyer) writes:
>Hello Netlanders --
>
>	I am trying to get the /usr/bin/sysadmsh shell going in multiscreen
>/dev/tty05 using /etc/inittab.  I have the line
>
>	05::respawn:/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/sysadmsh
>
>in the /etc/inittab file but the standard
>
>	login:
>
>message is displayed on tty05.  Can someone tell me what I am missing?

a real system v init.  the inittab file is pretty much ignored by xenix.
sco is still using the old version 7 ttys file.  the inittab file exists
only to make some people slightly more happy than they were without it.

the only part of inittab which is used is the action field.  if the
action field is "respawn", you get a new getty.  if the action field
is "off", you don't.

- john.
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with

sandy@turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) (08/16/88)

In article <160@ispi.UUCP>, jbayer@ispi.UUCP (id for use with uunet/usenet) writes:
> In article <12997@mimsy.UUCP>, meyer@mimsy.UUCP (John R. Meyer) writes:
> > Hello Netlanders --
> >
> > 	I am trying to get the /usr/bin/sysadmsh shell going in multiscreen
> > /dev/tty05 using /etc/inittab.  I have the line
>
> In SCO Xenix the inittab file is not fully functional.  Looking at the manual
> it says that the program telinit converts the inittab file to the ttys file.
> Because of this it ignores the program name at the end of the line.

If you call my bbs at 714-898-8634, you can download the file, initnew.tar.Z,
which contains a REAL working version of init/inittab along with an emulation
of uugetty. The file can be found in the xenix_enhance directory. All the SysV
functions are completely emulated so you can follow any SysV manual on how to
setup your inittab. I have been using the code, without any failures now, for
over 2 years! BTW, an installation shell script is also included so all the
work is done for you.

Sandy     XBBS    714-898-8634

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (08/18/88)

In article <100@jetson.UPMA.MD.US>, I write:
> for SCO Xenix 2.3 (which I hear is now shipping and has the real
> System V init, with full inittab support)

It turns out that even though the article in DiSCOver makes it sound
(to me) like 2.3 is the merged release, it is not.  It just has more
sVr3.2 features.  Here's a note I got from amys@sco:

Subject: Re: our inittab
From: sco!amys (Amy Snader)

Release 2.3 has the same basic init paradigm as release 2.2,
however, the merged product release (probably to be numbered 3.2)
will have an inittab-reading init, with Xenix functionality
built on top of it (i.e., sulogin).

Sorry about any misunderstanding,
	--Amy

--

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (08/20/88)

In article <103@jetson.UPMA.MD.US>, john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) writes:

> Release 2.3 has the same basic init paradigm as release 2.2,
> however, the merged product release (probably to be numbered 3.2)
> will have an inittab-reading init, with Xenix functionality
> built on top of it (i.e., sulogin).

3.2 is the same version number as AT&T uses for their merger. And they
(AT&T) only sells it for 3bx's and 386 machines. Will i ever be able
to upgrade my SCO Xenix286 2.2.1 to Xenix286 3.2 and run it on my 286
AT-compatible machine, or will I have to wait 'til I can get a 386?